Goblinville Design

edited February 26 in Make Stuff!
This week, our group was talking about how much we wanted a pick up-and-play system for messing around in the infinite sea of fantasy adventure modules.

We made an Otherkind-and-Torchbearer Frankenstein about Goblins who need to steal stuff from dungeons to make rent.

We're calling it Goblin Town. I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

edit:
Rules Quickstart

Comments

• edited December 2018
    The first page is a character sheet with the bulk of the player-facing rules.
    The second page lays out character creation, with some collaborative systems inspired from discussions here.
    The third is the sorcery/ gear list.
    The last is the GM rules/ procedures.
  • It's funny that you had the same impulse as Ron Edwards did in creating Elfs and you even came out with a decision to focus on a funny fantasy creature, too!
  • Interesting. Not one that I'm familiar with. I imagine from recent threads that the desire to make an indie dungeon crawler is a common one!
  • @moconnor,

This is a really tidy and well put together game! I would play this. Really slick. The way sorcery works, for example, is very elegant.

My main worries would be about how the more mechanical aspects of the game would align with the "fictional problem solving" design of many modules, and if they ever lead to funny results in play. (For instance, does running out of food and grog usually cause you to flee the dungeon or environment as soon as possible?)

Very nice.

• edited December 2018
    @Paul_T Thanks! The other thing I'm really happy with are the monster stat rules.

Stat Monsters
    You can do this ahead of time or on the fly.

For each monster, write 2-8 moves it might make.
    Kobold: threaten, throw bombs, swarm
    Spider: pounce, poison, bind, trap, bite

When monsters act, choose an item off the list.
    When a goblin succeeds on an action against a monster, cross off one of its moves.
    When it has no (uncrossed) moves that make sense in the situation, it runs away.
    When all of its moves are crossed out, it dies.
    For the problem solving stuff, it's important that some things can be resolved without a roll.

If a player describes a clever solution to a problem or otherwise circumvents a danger, then they overcome the problem without a roll.
    This can keep the pace brisk and reward players for engaging with the fiction.
    If they describe sacrificing gear to do this, the gear is lost but the roll is still avoided.
    So if the players figure out the trap, or secret door, or tense negotiation, that's great. When things don't go their way, they still have some interesting choices with fortune-in-the-middle resolution.

On the final point, that the goblins sometimes have to flee back to town to spend their coin and buy more stuff is he system working as intended. I might try to provide some more clarity on player-control of pacing. Whether to keep hanging out in this dungeon or go home should be a rolling decision point.
  • Yes, I really liked the monster rules, as well! A very clever way to build in morale rules to this ruleset.

I suppose the possible downside of the way rolls work is that it isn't always clear to the group when we should go to the dice and when we should "overcome the problem without a roll". I trust a smart group to figure this out, but making it similarly clear and easy to remember would take this ruleset from Good to Great.

I suspect that, in actual play, being able to really nail that every time is what will make this game really sing.
  • So more, less important thoughts:

1. The correct spelling is "achieved". (If you care about typos!)

2. Perhaps the "skip the roll sometimes" advice should be higher in the flowchart, not AFTER the procedure for making the roll.

3. The way armour works is really neat.

(Though I do wonder about how we decide when to use it - I could see players wrangling it into all kinds of rolls, which could or could not be what you want. But it's probably just fine.)

4. "Using Sorcery" on a roll is a bit confusing. There's an implication that you could choose to do this just about anytime, but the only "sorcery" I see in the rules are predetermined spells. It seems strange to suddenly ask whether "they'd like to consider using sorcery" during a roll - surely, by then, that would have been settled? And I don't see most of the spells being used actually being risky, so I wouldn't expect to roll just to use a spell.

Is your intention that the Sorcery category might come into effect *after* you've used a spell, by trying to control it or to do something weird with it?

If not, how do you see this category coming into play?

I'm not totally sure.

5. Character advancement seems very relevant to this style of play. However, your ruleset is quite spare, and adding unnecessary bells and whistles to it seems like a shame.

I'd consider building in a system for "advancement" taking place as a way for the goblins to accumulate status and creature comforts. (Perhaps you age in the process, as well?)

Some kind of table or roll for getting a place to live, food, drink, servants, stuff like that? (Vincent Baker's "Freebooting Venus" has some fabulous rules for this kind of thing.)

When you reach the end of the character progression, your goblin becomes the new Boss, of course. :)

(And then the next adventure involves rescuing him, naturally!)

Alternatively, cool spells or weird natural goblin-like abilities (which would work similarly to spells) could be used, but that's less unique and flavourful, in my opinion. However, opening up room for weird goblin sorcery might also potentially close the gap I mentioned earlier, if it, indeed, exists.
  • edited December 2018
    @Paul_T:

1. Thanks!

2. Yes, skip the roll should be more like "do this until you really need to roll"

3. Players can go wild using armor but it:
    - Needs to be repaired and if you spend your turn in camp doing that, you're not clearing conditions.
    - Takes up torso space that could be spend on sweet cloaks, rope, and backpacks.
    - If you fail a roll to recover from injury or sickness, the result is a scar that takes up an inventory slot (so scarred greybeards aren't able to wear plate anymore.

4. Sorcery is intended to be just using known spells (from character creation, found in dungeons or bought in town) any goblin can use a spell. It's intended that spells have unpredictable effects (suggestions on the sorcery page). You get an extra die when you cast a spell, but you risk gaining a condition. This keeps spells from being the solution to every problem, without imposing a uses-per-day limit. It's cool to use spells, but it's worth it to risk a condition?

But maybe the limited list and limited usage is too restrictive. I’ll have to see how this goes in our next playtest.

5. Developing Goblin Town itself is definitely part of the system I’m hoping to flesh out. Could be a great part of advancement as a party. The other part of advancement is in character ‘experience’ that can be leveraged for an extra die. I’m hoping this can be more individualized more than other dungeon crawlers, like ‘killed a ghost’ or ‘made it out of the oubliette’ or ‘betrayed the dogmen’. The character gains an ‘experience’ each session, and the other players give them a new trait. I think this still needs more clarity.

Thanks again for the notes!
  • Goblin Town is a really great framework. The GM rules are clearly stated and look like they will reliably reproduce the desired game. My hat is off to you!
  • edited December 2018
    The Other kind mechanic is cool. I like my Goblins working class : with tools and chemicals, as in "construction site", "chemical factory", "mining elevator rescue mission". I think I'll have to wire the magic and gear tables together, with a Gantt chart tool for adventures.
  • @hot_circle Thanks! It took some iteration to get here and there's still plenty more to do.

@DeReel Sounds like a good premise. Finding ways to tie adventures to the town itself should be somewhere under GM best practices.
  • At first, I wondered why you didn't use a body shape for the inventory. Now I suspect you wanted to leave room for imagination. I still think a silhouette would look nice.
  • edited December 2018
    @DeReel Might do that for a polished version, with art and everything. I really like that feature of Mouse Guard.

Plus, then when your goblins loses a hand, you can draw them a hook!
  • Updated the experience system:

Your goblin starts with one title (how you get it detailed within).

After each session, your goblins recount (in fireside tale) the experience that most shaped them.

The other players grant your goblin another title based on your tale.
    [Like oath-breaker, shrine-builder, traitor to dogmen, etc.]

Once per session, you can invoke a title: describing how the experience that inspired it prepared you for this moment (and getting a precious extra die).

They then discuss your goblin's actions more broadly and update one of your traits.
    [Like impulsive, quarrelsome, tough, or friendly.]

Traits similarly grant an extra die per session

So over time, your traits keep developing and your titles add up (max 4, I think). It's a little like Fate aspects, and around the level of xp depth I want in a system like this.
  • edited December 2018
    About Sorcery:
    moconnor said:

@Paul_T:
    4. Sorcery is intended to be just using known spells (from character creation, found in dungeons or bought in town) any goblin can use a spell. It's intended that spells have unpredictable effects (suggestions on the sorcery page). You get an extra die when you cast a spell, but you risk gaining a condition. This keeps spells from being the solution to every problem, without imposing a uses-per-day limit. It's cool to use spells, but it's worth it to risk a condition?

I see how Sorcery uses risks giving you a Condition, which is great (and very nicely implemented).

What I don't like is that this means using Sorcery should (?) always require a roll, which seems to go against the grain of the system in general. (What does failure mean, for example?)

I'm having trouble seeing how the Otherkind roll interacts with the specifics of each spell, in other words (especially the "sometimes..." clauses on each spell).

Your directions for "when rolling" also suggest that the GM should ask the player whether they want to use Sorcery. I'm finding it hard to imagine it being relevant to use any one of those spells in the middle of some risky action! That makes me wonder what you intend or envision here.

About character advancement:

Personally, I'd prefer to see "experiences" being about things you've done or survived (as you mentioned earlier); if they double as a list of your accomplishments, that's pretty cool.

Something like having a list of them and being able to draw on one per level (or something similar) each session would work pretty well, since they would be specific enough that a longer list would be self-limiting.

But titles are interesting, too, I suppose!

I like the idea of having other players grant them to you. That's a neat bit of group-forging.
  • @Paul_T

I'm strongly considering a more freeform sorcery:
    - Player describes intent.
    - GM comes up with dangers on the fly.
    - The sorcery roll determines if it's even possible and what consequences you face for trying.

I would worry that this would become the optimal play in all cases, and that you'd up in negotiations over what the plausible scope of sorcery is. The upside is that it's dynamic.

I think the alternative is that you never roll for spells. If you have a spell and in a position to cast it you:
    - Use your spell.
    - Mark a condition.

This feels like a much more constrained system, but also non-dynamic.

I think in the interest of finding balance between these approaches, I kind of missed hitting either.
    Paul_T said:

Your directions for "when rolling" also suggest that the GM should ask the player whether they want to use Sorcery.

Fixed that. If a player is using sorcery, the GM tosses the player an extra die (and maybe says "Ooooh, sorcery").
    Paul_T said:

Personally, I'd prefer to see "experiences" being about things you've done or survived (as you mentioned earlier); if they double as a list of your accomplishments, that's pretty cool.

That's my goal for titles, really. They're a callback to past accomplishments. Each session, the player says "This is what I accomplished" and the other players give you a title representing that.

It's not very scaled for frequency and amazingness of exploits. It's one per session. That said, titles that denote an amazing accomplishment are going to be easier to invoke (I think).

My goals for this XP were:
    - Brief handling time
    - Group forging
    - Qualitative (not numbers going up, or not primarily)
    - Zero GM control of XP

For a very different system, I figured titles would be:
    -cooler to say out loud
    -less of an overloaded term
  • Yes, that's exactly the issue! It's an interesting one to consider. I'm not sure what the best solution is; I was really enjoying the way you wrote up the spells, as well, and it would be a shame to get rid of those.

I can see a few possibilities:

1. Sorcery and Rituals could be two entirely separate things. The Rituals (currently your spells) work reliably, as described, but there is also the option for some kind Goblin Sorcery, which is much more risky.

2. The success of Sorcery works differently from most actions (e.g. a 6 is required for success, or they require you to reroll one of your best dice, or you always suffer a Condition when you use them, you have a limited number of uses before something bad happens, they operate based on a resource you must use - like material components - or using Sorcery always results in a Scar).

3. Spells work as written (although you may wish to rewrite them somewhat with this in mind), but they bring the potential for risk with them. It's dealing with those risks that means you must roll with a Sorcery die: when you try to manipulate, extend, or change what the magic does.

(Into the Odd has a rule like this: a magical item does a certain thing reliably. However, if you want to use it for some unusual use, something it's not intended for, that's when you must make a roll and there is a danger. It's a nice way to signal to the players that this thing is flexible and interesting but also dangerous.)

4. Rewrite the spells as may broadly applicable, so that the goblins are likely to use them in risky situations.

For instance, instead of spells they could be demons or goblin spirits which are helpful in limited contexts - you can ask them for aid, effectively, on any roll where it's plausible that they could help you. You have a malicious goblin spirit on your shoulder that likes starting fires? You can ask it for help sometimes, and that may require a roll if it's something risky.

• Oh, another idea:

Tie using sorcery to aging.

(Interacts with the starting age table you have!)
  • @Paul_T

Thanks for the insight. Here's my update to sorcery rules:

Sorcery:
    If a goblin knows a spell, they can use it at any time they meet the spell's condition.
    When they do, have them roll 1D6 to determine the sorcery result. Sorcery is bad for your health!
    If the player wants to add a twist, and comes up with something compelling, they can add 1D6.
    Of course that means they'll have to resolve the twist, too.
    If a sorcerer is stuck on ideas for a twist, they could always use up their spell supplies!
    If they do, they might nit be able to cast it until they can camp and make more.
  • edited December 2018
    Following the sorcery mechanic from table to supplies to task and dice I immediately picture a gagging goblin looking like Coyote after the dynamite went boom.
    Speaking of which, goblins could be made viler. Their skullduggery would inform the dice repartition decisions. A sacrifice from the player could be represented by some wickedness on the character's part, only for color, with the players collaborating. Maybe it's already in there and I failed to read it, though. Or maybe the game is more open to pvp take that than I thought.
  • @DeReel I think a lot of that flavor would come through twists. Players introduce new trouble, collateral damage, inconvenient wickedness etc. They get an extra die for the roll, but the party will have to deal with the fallout.
  • edited January 9
    I followed the prep directions from Goblin Town to stat out Level 1 of the Caverns of Thracia.

This was a pretty fun prep experience and I think it'll make the a complex adventure much easier to run. I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.

My goal is that after an initial read of the module to see the big picture and flavor, a GM could run the module just with the maps and this as a key.
  • edited January 9
    Interesting. The notes are pretty hard to follow for me, but I trust they make sense for someone familiar with both the game and the module.

I do like the idea of conversion guidelines which make using a module easy!

• @Paul_T Oh, that makes sense. I updated it. Maybe it's more legible now that the key overtly refers to the letter and number codes on a map?
  • Goblin Town and Hot Circle are two exciting games happening here right now. Very inspiring, guys
  • edited January 12
    Thanks, @Aaron_Griffin!

Got a big playtest in of Goblin Town last night. It was a hoot. We have rules adjustments to make, but the feeling was just what we were hoping to hit. There was a lot of enjoyment in playing through this mirror version of D&D, where the humans barely tolerate our presence (even if we rescue them) and the goblin pirate horde might include some cousins. We also got interesting, different characters right out of the gates and had a good time making eachother laugh with goblin antics, without losing momentum. It's funny to be weird goblins on a mission, but we were still weird goblins on a mission.

We had seven players and a GM (Goblin Master) running the AD&D module Treasure Hunt.

Takeaways:
    - Character creation went great. Most of us didn't know each other (I was a player) and we were asking each other interesting questions and tying together our goblin crew right from the start. Giving each other traits and titles were a highlight.
    - We needed a simple turn system, especially for such a large group. We hacked one together on the spot, but I'm going to formalize it.
    - We had some challenge with the partial success / progress result. I think it would help to have a rule for how it benefits you to act on the opportunity another goblin creates.

My biggest reflection is that the more interesting character creation stuff could be more central to play. You have a job in Goblin Town and a boss that is missing/ kidnapped/ dead. The GM is encouraged to tie these things to the adventure, but if you're adapting an old module, it might feel like an afterthought. I think my next thought is: how to support the GM to be responsive to player-inserted hooks without them having to improvise everything?

My thought is to make a huge random table of jobs, employers, locations, dangers and twists. The GM rolls once on each table. These, and things like missing bosses and unpaid debts, are little adventure seeds around which the GM creates a premise. Then the Goblins follow up on it. This probably makes for short adventures, which is good, because they're getting back to town sooner to spend their coin and get into new trouble. I'm imagining something more similar to the Blades in the Dark flow of play.
  • edited January 12
    So did your Goblins act wicked toward each other ?
    The flip-a-card loose turn order is nice if not abused. It ensures everyone goes, but the order is free. And a free order is always nice ;P
  • edited January 13
    Minimal intra-party wickedness. They were too focused on getting a payday.

Here's the v1.0 of Goblin Town initiative:

Each player needs their own color of dice (4-6 each). At the start of an adventure, players each roll one of their dice and place them in a line in the middle of the table, from highest to lowest. If any players roll the same number, they have a tie-breaker roll. This line of dice is the marching order.

Play then proceeds freely, with goblins describing their actions. When a goblin attempts something risky, the GM (Goblin Master) calls for a roll. When a player rolls, they take their die out of the marching order and use it to start their die pool.

If the goblins hesitate or disagree about a course of action, and it's unclear what is happening first, the GM asks the first player in marching order. If the party collectively agrees on a course of action without one goblin in particular volunteering to take the lead, the GM confirms the course of action with the first goblin in marching order and then has that player roll.

A player can remove their goblin's die from the marching order at any time. Maybe that player's goblin is injured and sick and doesn't want to strain themselves until they find a place to camp. Maybe that player doesn't want the spotlight right now.

When all dice are taken from the marching order, a turn passes and the players roll initiative again.
  • Token turn then. Nice touch, "GM".
  • Yeah, that's a nice evolution of initiative and the "caller" concept from OSR style gaming.

Do you keep those dice on the table through the whole game, or just certain types of situations?

Do people ever want to swap the order around, instead of it always being random?
  • Paul_T said:

Yeah, that's a nice evolution of initiative and the "caller" concept from OSR style gaming.

Thanks, that's just what I was going for.
    Do you keep those dice on the table through the whole game, or just certain types of situations?
    The whole game. The last playtest, we brought it in during a fight, and I think that had the unintended consequence of emphasizing combat over the rest of the game. Like, "now that daggers are out, we're getting serious" but that's not this game at all.
    Do people ever want to swap the order around, instead of it always being random?
    Ah, this I should make more clear: the goblins can still act in any order. It's not a sequence-style initiative. When you describe a risky action, you roll. It doesn't matter if you're first in line or last.

The order only matters to the GM, so they don't ask the group "What do you do?" and then get four different answers. Instead, you want to make a hard move and have someone get tackled by a ghoul, without asking everyone where exactly in the room they are. So you look at who is first in marching order and the ghoul tackles them.

Or, perhaps more commonly, the group debates a course of action, agrees among themselves that they are climbing the cliff, then looks to see what happens. Rather than having to ask "Who goes first?" and then watch as they check inventories and conditions, the GM can turn to the first goblin in marching order and describe to them the obstacle ahead. If no one else jumps in, they are making the roll.
  • edited January 13
    The other thing I want out of a 'Marching Order' system is a cue for players to monitor their air time. Sometimes in games like this, the chattiest person makes most of the rolls. If someone wants to step back or wait until the spotlight is on them, they can. But when your die is out of the queue, you can't take the lead again until everyone has had a chance, so it's a gentle reminder to build-up someone else's spotlight.
  • I see! So, if someone doesn't want to be in the spotlight, they remove their die instead of moving it back in the order.

And you only look at the order of the dice when there isn't some other reason to go in a different order, or to focus on a specific character. Only look at the dice when there is some uncertainty about that, in other words.

Seems like a smart spotlight apportioning system! I like how tactile it is.
  • Yeah!

I'm working on making it concise for the sake of the rules:
    - The players can act in any order they want. They can take the lead so long as they're still in the marching order.
    - When the GM isn't sure who's acting next, or who is most at risk in a situation, it's the first goblin in the marching order.
  • I like it a lot.

In theory, you could occasionally use it as a randomizer:

All the goblins are running away from a threat. Reroll their dice; the lowest roll is the slowest one, and gets nabbed first!

You could even work in an Otherkind thing occasionally, where you can risk injury or condition or sorcery to have a die you can swap into the "initiative order".
  • Paul_T said:

You could even work in an Otherkind thing occasionally, where you can risk injury or condition or sorcery to have a die you can swap into the "initiative order".

Great idea! A curse called "Stone Foot" you could make you have to go last. A curse called "Necromancer's Eye" could make it that you're always the first one attacked.
  • edited January 15
    Version 4.1

4.1 Character Sheet

I was able to incorporate a lot of feedback. Thanks, all.
  • The "stat monsters" section is gone :(
    Okay it's scattered throughout now, but it was nice to have it all just readable. Also the "morale" bits seem to be missing now, removed on purpose?
  • @Guy Srinivasan Oh yeah, GM prep section is hidden while I update it. I didn’t realize that’s the only place the monster rules are. That’s an important bit!
  • edited January 15
    Version 4.2: Monster rules are back. Still working on new GM prep procedures.
  • Question!

What does it typically look like when a monster makes a move?

Does it just inflict a condition on a goblin, or something similar, or is it always presented as a threat, which can then be avoided with a roll? (I wonder how that interacts with the "Harm" category, if so.)
  • Also:

If ties aren't possible, then you can never play this game with more than 6 goblins (and it might take a lot of rerolls to get everyone a unique initiative order).

I'd probably go with something like:

If you roll a tie for marching order, each make an argument for which one of you should go first/ahead or last/behind. The other goblins cheer and/or vote, deciding which.

Then arrange the dice accordingly.
  • Great questions @Paul_T !
    What does it typically look like when a monster makes a move
    When a monster appears, it makes a move.

For example:

Lizardmen
    Moves: Hiss, Hide, Ambush, Disarm
    Gear: Blowgun (1d2 uses), Spear, Poison Vial

They have 4 moves (so 4 'HP') but some of their moves have lower risk.

The goblins enter the swamp and the lizardmen ambush them with blowguns.

The first goblin in marching order (Blix) attempts to flee.
    Action: Get away.
    Danger: Poisoned (Sick)
    Risking Harm: Yes.
    Blix's plalyer introduces a twist. The goblins might get lost in the swamp.

Blix rolls four dice and gets: 5,4,3,2. Blix's player quickly assigns dice.

Action: 5 (Succeeds)
    Danger: 4 (Doesn't Happen)
    Harm: 3 (Condition)
    Twist: 2 (Happens)

Blix's player describes dodging the flying poison darts and fleeing into the swamp. She marks exhausted.

The GM describes the new scene deep in the swamp and crosses out "Hiss" on the Lizardmen stat block, since the goblins succeeded on an action against them.
  • When Harm is at risk, it's a factor in addition to the Danger.

Example 2:

Minotaur
    Rear, Charge, Gore, Slice, Dismember, Throw
    Battleaxe, Pouch of gems

When a goblin attacks a Minotaur, the specific Danger is set by the Minotaur's moves.

Charge might knock the goblin off a ledge, separating the group.
    Slice might injure the goblin.
    Dismember might rip a goblin's arm off (removing that inventory slot.

In both cases, Harm is at risk. A goblin might end up injured and exhausted on a particularly low roll. More likely, they'll have to decide whether they care more about the situational danger or the condition.
  • Paul_T said:

If ties aren't possible, then you can never play this game with more than 6 goblins (and it might take a lot of rerolls to get everyone a unique initiative order).

Oh, I've got to clarify what I mean by a tie-breaker roll. If you tie with another player, you reroll just against the player you tied with. If two players roll a 2, they are after the 3 and before the 1, but a second roll will determine which of them goes first.

Since the marching order doesn't always matter (especially if the players are proactive about acting, rather than seeing what the GM throws at them) I'm hesistant to add any conversational handling time to it.

I might just have the person who acts last roll all the action dice and sort them quickly into order, for the sake of efficiency.
  • Cards (tarot, or even from Dixit) would be cool too for this initiative style, too. Troika does initiative with uniquely imaged cards.
  • I like the idea that you can't forget to take yourself out of marching order when you roll, because you need the die. I also like that players can't just start building a die pool before they know what the roll is for.

But cards could be cool for a couple reasons. No ties, which is nice. Surprise initiative would be cool. "A ghoul leaps from the shadows and tackles [flips card] Halfjaw!" you could also use index cards and draw your own initiative marker.

I'll think on this one.
  • edited January 14
    I thought of the cards, too, but discarded the idea for the same reason you did (the double use of the die is a feature that's worth keeping).

As for combat with monsters... I feel this will need clarification in the text, at least for me.

Let me see if I understand it correctly, and you can tell me where I'm going wrong, if anywhere:

* When in combat with a monster, the GM describes the monster's action/move, but the resolution will wait until the dice are rolled (i.e. the goblin describes their reaction or takes action).

(I suppose there might be situations where the player will accept the danger without a roll, but I bet that's really rare, since usually we can just make the roll about something else, and include the danger in that resolution.)

So, the GM says something like "the minotaur is slicing down with its axe!", but we don't resolve that bit of fiction until the goblin has named their action in response and rolled for it.

* Defending yourself from an attack is not a valid stake in combat; you should always name some other goal or "risky action".

This is good (it's how this kind of system has to function to work, and moves the action/story along faster), but I can imagine people getting hung up on it or forgetting to do it. (e.g. "The minotaur tries to bash your skull in!" "I jump out of the way!" "Ok, but... wait! That's not enough. What do you want to get out of this?" "Uh, right. I guess I want to get out of its reach. How's that?")

* Sometimes categories will overlap, which is OK, and is one way you could get "killed" in one roll.

This is the part I'm less sure about.

Let's see if I have it right. Our goblin hero is facing off against a minotaur! The GM says that the minotaur slices with its axe ("Slice might injure the goblin").

First, the player should name an action or goal other than just avoiding the slice, as described above.

Then we have the following categories for the roll:

Action [the goblin's stated goal/action]
    Danger [this determines the success of the monster's move: in this case, the minotaur injures the goblin]
    Harm [the goblin could get hurt - including injured!]

The issue is the possible overlap between the three categories. First, I can see players new to the game forgetting to name a distinct action or goal for the goblin, which can make Action and Danger redundant (oops!). But, second, when the Danger is physical harm, then the Harm category can seem redundant, too.

Which die determines, for instance, whether the goblin got sliced or not? Or is it just up to the narrator, in resolution? Sometimes it will be important to know (e.g. there are monsters nearby who can track goblins by smelling their blood!). It doesn't seem like the Danger and Harm dice will always give us a clear answer.

Mechanically, this is also interesting:

Presumably, if both Danger and Harm dice are low, the goblin can be killed outright. (A double injury is death, if I understood the rules correctly, and each die has the potential to cause an Injury.)

It's not a huge problem, but can be tricky!

My takeaways are:

* Make sure the goblin names an Action that's not just about avoiding a monster's action.

* [possibly] Try to stick to monster moves that are not just about hurting the goblins - they should be things separate from (mechanical) harm, like chopping off limbs, capturing, knocking unconscious, pushing off a cliff, etc - so that Harm and Danger remain meaningfully distinct.

Is this correct? Am I missing something?

Has this ever come up as an issue in play?
  • Oh, one more question:
    moconnor said:

Great questions @Paul_T !

Blix rolls four dice and gets: 5,4,3,2. Blix's player quickly assigns dice.

Action: 5 (Succeeds)
    Danger: 4 (Doesn't Happen)
    Harm: 3 (Condition)
    Twist: 2 (Happens)

Blix's player describes dodging the flying poison darts and fleeing into the swamp. She marks exhausted.

How do we determine whether a) all the goblins get away, and b) who is exhausted or injured or otherwise?

Is the default assumption that "lead goblin" can roll for the entire group, but face the consequences (e.g. conditions) alone?
  • edited January 14
    For the last post, from what I understood the lead represents the group "hex movement", but not combat action. And you can make another goblin suffer, typically to get 2 hurt rather than 1 dead.