Medieval Hack of Mobile Frame Zero

Has anyone done/seen a medieval hack of Mobile Frame Zero?

Comments

• What a weird combination. I like it.
  • If you mean Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands, then yes, Vincent has a medieval hack dropping in print soon:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/226674021/the-king-is-dead-a-roleplaying-party-game

And already in PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/241598/The-King-Is-Dead
  • You're probably talking about the Legos game, though, right?

http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

They're "in the same universe", but completely different types of gameplay!
  • The LEGOs game...
  • I've skimmed MF-0 about a zillion times, but, because I'm neither a Lego guy nor a Mecha guy, I always forget what the key selling points are. I seem to recall a lot of the fun was in strategizing on how to distribute your dice rolls between attack and defense, and the actual building of your mecha from Lego feeding directly into your capabilities in a kind of
    Interpretive WYSIWYG way.

What was it you liked that made you long for a more medieval version of the game? Was it still going to be a Lego game ?
  • I seem to recall a lot of the fun was in strategizing on how to distribute your dice rolls between attack and defense, and the actual building of your [knight] from Lego feeding directly into your capabilities in a kind of Interpretive WYSIWYG way.

Yes, this exactly.
  • Ah, yeah. I haven't seen any Rapid Attack hacks out there, but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.
  • You could probably use the rules as written, couldn’t you, so long as you reinterpreted most of the weapons as “magic powers” or “magic items”, couldn’t you?

If you want a less fantastic medieval kind of game, though, you’d probably need to think more seriously about redesign.
  • Is it one player per miniature, or can you have a smallish squad/lance ?

It sounds like it could be really fun re-skinned as gladiatorial combat or other low numbers kinds of fights ( steam punk WW1 aircraft, "Big Boat" space battles)
  • @komradebob You're asking good questions that I can't answer at the moment. I get back to you on that.
  • MF0: Rapid Attack (mechs) allows for squad-based tactical combat of 1-N units, each with 0-4 systems (things that provide dice other than the 2d White a basic unit gets). That variability in squad makup is a big part of the 'initiative' and scoring rules. (Not so much, with Mechaton, which is a bit simpler than MF0:RA.)

"Reskinning" to any other genre is simply a matter of changing the 'theme' of the Legos that you use for systems. For fantasy:
    * Melee attack = obvious, given all the clubs, swords, etc that are available for minifigs
    * Ranged attack = Bows, crossbows, etc
    * Artillery (long range) attack = Magical or BIG bows/arbalests
    * Single-shot long ranged attack = As above (these don't count against 4-system-per-unit limit)
    * Defense boost = Armor
    * Movement boost = Skill (agility) or magical or fanciful (mechanical DaVinci wings?)
    * Sensing (improves results of ranged attacks) = Magical or maybe telescope?

For craft-based combat rules, consider reskinning MF0: Alpha Bandit