The Great Story Games Archive

Hi friends,

I've archived the entirety of Story Games discussions and comments on my GitHub account, here:

https://github.com/jeffschecter/storygames

I've got a script that lets me quickly update the archive with recent threads and comments. The crawl script is in the repo, so you can create your own version of the archive if you like.

At the moment it's just raw HTML, with some of the boilerplate removed. I might do some postprocessing later to clean it up and make it more legible, either as raw text files, or as HTML with some of the formatting added back in.

If someone wanted to, they could potentially use this as base to take over the storygames domain name, and provide a static archive website that would correctly resolve external links to discussions and threads.

Comments

• Well done! You're a hero.
  • Yes, incredible. Kudos!
  • Jeph said:

If someone wanted to, they could potentially use this as base to take over the storygames domain name, and provide a static archive website that would correctly resolve external links to discussions and threads.

Is anyone willing to do this? What kind of tools and/or funding would be necessary?

I wonder how much support there would be if we were to crowdfund such an effort...
  • Haha you wouldn't need crowdfunding. Just, idunno, some web dev knowledge and like a day or three of hacking. It's lightweight enough to live for free forever on Google's cloud hosting free tier.

I'd volunteer, but I'm about to have a kid in a few weeks, sooooo free time might be short.
  • Kudos to @Jeph !

But I think you hit a storage limit of some kind? When I click on the storygames folder up there at GH, I'm getting this message: "Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 20,323 entries were omitted from the list."

Looks like we (you) need to make 21 different folders?
  • Nah, that's just github's user interface. All the files are there, they just don't wanna display a webpage with 21k links on it.

For instance: https://github.com/jeffschecter/storygames/blob/master/storygames/21000.html

You can download everything to your local computer if you like. Opening the thread's html files in your browser will give you some semblance of formatting, at least compared to viewing a raw HTML blob as plaintext.

This repository is meant to be an archive of the raw data, not the presentation layer.
  • doomsday averted♥♥♥
  • Thank you, Jeph.

(and congratulations!)
  • Thanks @jeph! Much appreciated for you to step up here.
  • Doomsday averted, but until someone turns it into a website, we're only haflway there! We'd still lose all the links (if I understand correctly).
  • Well even the fact that I can cut & paste my old writings from out there and paste it into the Great American Novel Houserule doc♥♥♥
    is a great relief. And now maybe we can dream even bigger; if there aren't legal hurdles to putting that stuff on a new Vanilla instance for example idk
  • Happy wishes @Jeph.
  • Awesome.