Distributing spotlight with an N-ary thue morse sequence

edited June 17 in Make Stuff!
So change p to the number of participants and assign a number to each participant (one poor sucker is gonna get number zero) and save this into a file named whatever you want and then run it with a command line argument of the number of iterations you want to print:

#!/bin/sh
p=6
for i in `seq 0 $1`
do
echo -n "$(echo "${p}o${i}f"|dc|sed 's/\(.\)/\1 /g') [+lbx]sa[2z>a]dsbx${p}%n"|dc
done
echo

For example save it as spotlight_number.sh and then chmod +x spotlight_number.sh and from then on just spotlight_number.sh 200 to get 200 turns. If later you want to continue where you left off, change the 0 in the file to the number you want to start at.

Comments

• Print it on scrap paper & check off each number you use♥
  • Or better yet, memorize the sequence, save on printing, better for the environment
  • When it's time for a new round, skip the player who started the first round. Many board games already do that much, using a first-player-token of some kind, like that gross knife in Dead of Winter. Next lev is that when everyone's been skipped once, skip two steps. (That's gonna happen once every Pth round.) When everyone's been double-skipped once, skip three steps. (That's gonna be a while.) Etc. The sequence doesn't repeat if I understand it correctly.
  • I do the first player token thing in my game. What is the "skip 2/3/..." for ?
  • First, everyone gets to go once. That's a round.
    Then, everyone gets to start a round. That's a meta round.
    Then, everyone gets to start a meta round. That's a meta meta round.
    Then, everyone gets to start a meta meta round. That's a meta meta meta round. Etc
  • edited June 17
    Oh, I just need the meta then, not even a straight round. ;P
  • edited June 18
    For those of us who can’t read that code, can you give an example of what that would look like, with, say, 3 players?

Or is it just something like:

2,1,3 (?)
    Etc ?

I’m guessing not that, since you say the sequence doesn’t repeat. (But I also don’t know how you can memorize a sequence that doesn’t repeat!)
  • Here is the result of running the above with p=3:

Or, decomposed by yrs truly,

===

===

===

===

1,2,0, 2,0,1, 0,1,2,
    2,0,1, 0,1,2, 1,2,0,

1,2,0, 2,0,1, 0,1,2,
    2,0,1, 0,1,2, 1,2,0,
    0,1,2, 1,2,0, 2,0,1,

2,0,1, 0,1,2, 1,2,0,
    0,1,2, 1,2,0, 2,0,1,
    1,2,0, 2,0,1, 0,1,2,

===

etc.
  • But I also don’t know how you can memorize a sequence that doesn’t repeat!
    You memorize the generation logic. For example, it is very easy to memorize this infinite non-repeating sequence:
    0,0,0,0,1, ...
  • Yes, I see! Thanks. Very interesting!
  • Neat idea. I think it ignores other issues at the table, though. Equal spotlight time isn't always the best thing for the game, I think.

Gorgeous fractal.
  • I wanted to use it specifically for scene caller sequence in Hillfolk♥