What's a hot geek...uhm...thing right now?

edited March 2007 in Story Games
So I'm putting together events for DexCon, and I'm going to run a few slots of Unistat, and maybe something else. But for the Unistat slots, I've had good results using by latching on to popular geek titles, such as Firefly, and running a game in the established universe. I'm going to do that again, but I really don't know what's the popular thing right now.

Any ideas for good sources, be they books, movies, or something else?

Comments

• Battlestar Galactica is pretty big. Um, Dresden Files, possibly, since it just got a TV show on sci-fi and Evil Hat is coming out with the game sometime in the near future. That's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

Oh, and maybe 300. But if you do a game of 300, you should probably use Agon.
  • BBC America is running Robin hood, allways good fun.
  • edited March 2007
    Judging from internet chatter, the most attention is going to:

TV shows: Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, the new Doctor Who (in the UK and among the internet-savvy elsewhere)

Movies: 300, Grindhouse (when it actually comes out, unless it's insanely horrible as opposed to just being insane), Transformers (again, when it comes out, blah blah blah), Spider-Man 3 (safe bet it'll be a geek fave, seeing as it'll have Venom in it)
  • American Idol, World of Warcraft, Saw, Yu-gi-oh all come to mind off the top of my head. :)

Peace,

-Troy
  • Posted By: Troy_CostisickAmerican Idol, World of Warcraft, Saw, Yu-gi-oh all come to mind off the top of my head. :)
    Hah - yes!

World of Warcraft Best Friends: Can you keep the Guild together? Or will your petty rivalries and differences in play style leave you spending the night waiting outside of Karazhan? (Again)
  • Oh hell yeah... A game where you play gamers who are playing WoW and all the hooplah that surrounds it. That's cool.
  • A Song of Fire and Ice is big in book circles.

-Andy
  • "Dancing With the Stars: The RPG" anyone? Here's the list of last week's most watched TV programs according to the latest National Nielsen ratings:

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/nielsen.shtml

1. American Idol" (Tuesday) FOX
    2. American Idol" (Wednesday) FOX
    3. Grey's Anatomy ABC
    4. Dancing With the Stars ABC
    5. C-S-I: Miami CBS
    6. N-C-I-S CBS
    7. Criminal Minds CBS
    8. `Til Death FOX
    9. Deal Or No Deal" (Monday) NBC
    10. Cold Case CBS
    11. C-S-I: New York CBS
    12. Survivor: Fiji" (Wednesday) CBS
    13. Without a Trace CBS
    14. 60 Minutes CBS
    15. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ABC
    16. Lost ABC
    17. The Unit CBS
    18. 24 FOX
    19. Two and a Half Men CBS
    20. October Road ABC
  • Andrew,

The answer to your question is... ME! I'm the hot new geek thing!
  • Last Harry Potter book comes out this summer too, remember. Which is probably good since the series is collapsing under its own weight and needs to be put out of its misery.
  • If I am not mistaken this is the last book, or there's one more. She has an ending in mind and is driving forward with it. This is comendable in my eyes instead of trying to perpetuate the gravy train like some authors out there who have series that go on forever with no end in sight yet continue to write a thousand pages of drivel... uh sorry, I got carried away there.
  • Posted By: SempiternityPosted By: Troy_CostisickAmerican Idol, World of Warcraft, Saw, Yu-gi-oh all come to mind off the top of my head. :)
    Hah - yes!

World of WarcraftBest Friends: Can you keep the Guild together? Or will your petty rivalries and differences in play style leave you spending the night waiting outside of Karazhan? (Again)

Okay, that's awesome! I love the idea of playing a game set in WoW that's not about the killin' rather about the online relationships! I know enough WoW-heads that I think this would be a smash hit!
  • ew... a game revolving around the SAW series?! sweet and wrong!
  • Venture Brothers and ATHF
  • I did a WoW demo of Breaking the Ice at last year's GenCon and it was very funny.
    And I probably missed half the jokes, as a non-insider.
  • Cool responses, thanks, guys!

So far, Song of Ice and Fire is an istant win. If that's big with geeks other than myself, that's all I need to buy into it. Now the only questions is when to set it. Before the books? In the same time, but not involving the main plot? Finishing the next book before George R. R. Martin?

Battlestar Galactica is almost an instant win. I'll almost certainly do it, but I'd love some feedback on...you know...how. Same concerns as above -- when to set it in the timeline, whether to stay away from the main characters, etc. I think I'd probably most enjoy it if the players were Cylons, doing stuff that we don't see on the show. Or maybe as the crew of one of the ships that got lost along the way -- what's their story? How did they survive?

I like Venture Brothers and ATHF, but I'm not so confident the specific brand of comedy would translate well to RPGs. On the other hand, ATHF is so insane that really any mix of bizarre stupidity might be enough to capture the feel of the show. Venture Brothers sounds more promising, since there can be a "mission" to focus on when things slow down a bit.
  • Heroes, the NBC Tv show, is surely the big geek thing around now. Although admittedly not RIGT now as the show is on hiatus. Of course, superheroes are hardly a new thing in RPGs, but you could probably take something from the show's specific approach. And the concept easily adapts itself to new characters.
  • Posted By: Andrew MorrisBattlestar Galactica is almost an instant win. I'll almost certainly do it, but I'd love some feedback on...you know...how. Same concerns as above -- when to set it in the timeline, whether to stay away from the main characters, etc.
    I'd simply redo the show with a new cast. And, ideally I'd use Primetime Adventures, or at the very least, glean a lot of useful advice from it.
  • Andrew,
    If you set it in Ice & Fire, do it during something that is in the books (like the Kingswood Uprising) and would involve major houses (and perhaps guest-spots from important characters from the books), but not so well-defined that we know every single thing that happened. Heck, you could set it a hundred years in the past and have a conflict no one really remembers, but still have the world and history and pomp and chivalry (or lack of chivalry) to play with.

If I were to do it, I'd simply make it Ice & Fire-esque, focusing on intrigue, neutral morality, food and vicious, deadly combat.
  • Posted By: Andrew MorrisBattlestar Galactica is almost an instant win. I'll almost certainly do it, but I'd love some feedback on...you know...how.
    For a con event, you want to use the existing cast. That will make your chargen labor easier, and it will make it easier for the players to latch on to the PCs.

I'd then just pick a good spot in the timeline; say, about the middle of the season that just ended. Then decide if you want to focus on a mission involving the enlisted crew, or a high-level political thing involving the movers and shakers. One of the "side-issue" episodes, like the tilium refinery strike or the bigoted doctor, probably serves as a good model for a scenario that doesn't step on canon.

I would advise against creating non-canon characters who live on a ship other than Galactica, unless you want players to sleep through the event. At least, I would. :)
  • Another interesting thing about the Song of Fire and Ice thing, at least locally, is that George R R Martin is coming to Trinoc-Con (SF and gaming con local to NC) this August:

http://www.trinoc-con.org/

Some of us were thinking it would be an awesome time to throw down an unusual Song of Fire and Ice-themed game (Best Friends, anyone? :-) )

-Andy
  • I would love to see a Venture Bro's game, I admit.
  • I would love to see a Venture Bro's game, I admit.

How soon they forget!

• And the winners are...Battlestar Galactica and Venture Brothers!