[Camp Nerdly] Rampant enthusiasm thread

edited May 2007 in Story Games
With all the other practical stuff going on, I want a thread that focuses on the awesome of CN1. So here's the topic for this thread: What was the awesome for you?

For me, I got to meet a few new people that were just great. Jeff Willis and John Stavropopolopluolsipos (or whatever), I'm looking at you. Meeting and gaming with you guys was awesome!

Being able to eat with the other folks was awesome! Yay, vegetarian options.

Getting another chance to play Tenra Bansho Zero was awesome! Thank you, whoever dropped out of that game.

Argh! There's much more awesome to recount than that, but that's what popped into my head right now. So how bout it, folks? Wanna talk about your awesome?

Comments

• I had a bunch of fun: six games, fire, eating people, cooking, suicide bombing, sith lord, serial killer-catching fun.
  • I made some new friends and made some electronic ones personal, hooray!

I chewed hella scenery in Fred's Divinity playtest and loved every minute of it.

I stroked my beard (2d8) menacingly in Dave's DitV game and ... loved every minute of it.

Nobody was injured or starved or killed, hooray! Only one broken chair, hooray!

Alexander Newman, playing Grey Ranks: "OK, if I win the conflict, I detonate the suicide bomb while weeping for my lost youth instead of detonating the suicide bomb with steely, fanatic resolve."

Nathan Herrold, playing Watership TSOY: "I think that owl actually killed me, but it's going to ... take a little while to die. Is that cool?"

Birch beer, hooray!
  • I read that as "Fire-eating people", and I wondered how I missed that part...
  • Open Boat as a card game. Awesome.

People coming to look for me to playtest the Infected. Freaking over-the-top awesome.

The fact that Lisa and I couldn't actually afford to go to Nerdly, but friends intervened and paid our way in just so that they could hang out with us. Calling it awesome doesn't even come close. All sorts of thanks to everyone involved in bringing us to the great big bundle of camping awesomeness.
  • The game of Shock: about AIDS in Africa and viral alien invasion was super-great. I would play it as a campaign game for weeks and weeks anytime. Every game I played felt like this: a game I could continue for a long time.

Dave Younce and Kevin Allen Jr making me play City of Brass was awesome and supportive and resulted in painful death for all the characters! My game of Inuma that I hosted was so tight that I can see it actually being a real game and product now. I really can't gush enough about how proud that game made me: in three hours, we had a world designed and had played out a whole tale in that world that firmly established conflicts, alliances, and themes that you could use for 10 more tales.
  • In non-gameness:

- The food was great. Thank you, everyone!
    - The fires were nice.
    - All the participants at the talent show get my complete thanks. You guys were great!
  • edited May 2007
    - My first game of the Roach was totally awesome. It was just great. Thanks to everyone involved in that.

- Getting a chance to do the fast Improv lesson was a ton of fun and still has me chuckling.

- Even though I came in not knowing anyone people were really friendly, and did a good job putting up with me ;) I thought. It was nice meeting so many new and friendly people.
  • Oh my gawd! So much awesome...

Helping Matt test out Seyuu, AWESOME!
    The talent show was the bomb! I think that should be at CN2. Hands down, it was the best part for me
    Getting my ass handed to me by Joshua Newman. (I want a re-re-match!)
    Learning to make weapons. Chiv, you rawk!
    Getting to teach someone else how to knit... Nathan, you're a quick learner!
    Being able to hear the results of other's playtests. I'm glad it all went well.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm still recovering. *big grin*

Lisa P
  • I had one perfect gaming session, two I enjoyed quite a bit, one which was a horrible abomination that I am in part responsible for allowing to fail so spectacularly, and two times where I tried to get in on a game but had to bag out.

By far the most pleasure I had was talking to people and tinkering with my game, though. The long discussion about sci-fi movies and internet behavior alone are really resonating with me.

Andy K, Jeff (?) from NYC were awesome new people that I met, and Don, Eppy, Terry, and John/jenskot are people I already knew but who I now feel like I can call my friends. I really love when that happens.
  • I didn't play one RPG (card games and board games only) but I did figure out WHY I don't like to play RPG's at conventions, which is a big thing.

I don't like games that end just when they're getting fun.
  • For what it is worth Robert, I was in the "horrible abomination" and while it did not sell me on the game I had a good time.
  • Posted By: EsarelFor what it is worth Robert, I was in the "horrible abomination" and while it did not sell me on the game I had a good time.
    I'm glad. The game is really good but there are problems which have already been acknowledged by its author in terms of the editing/clarity within the rules. I intend to do with this what I did with another game: sit down with the creator and take detailed notes on the rules process that I can use in the future until a 2nd edition comes out.
  • Ganakagok rules!!!!

The PTA game "One of Us" was a highlight. Who can't love a DNA mangled, traveling circus/freakshow with conspiracy overtones. That game so had legs.

Roach was great, and bloody, and great, and the roach won.

And Matt, I am so stealing your Seyuu setting creation ideas for my next PTA game. You have great stuff there.
  • Our PTA game was perhaps the best I've ever played (something I say with some frequency about PTA, I think, which probably means that the emotional impact was very high each time). It was a lot of fucking and a lot of politics. What more could you possibly need?

Remi facilitated and Produced and I'd really like his impression of the game; I was deeply wrapped up in the fiction at the time.

• edited May 2007
    Where are the photographs?
  • edited May 2007
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarWhere are the photographs?
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here

Lisa P

*edited to fix links*
  • edited May 2007
    Someone tell me? Was there really no alcohol?

[Edit: BOLLOCKS! Posted this twice, in two different threads. Aaargh. Ignore this one.]

Graham
  • Posted By: Andrew MorrisBeing able to eat with the other folks was awesome! Yay, vegetarian options.
    I second that. Nothing says "we love you" like a plate full of food you can eat. Thanks so much for the vegan and vegetarian options.

I finally got to play in a Watership Down-based game, which has been a dream of mine since . . . for decades, I think.

I retired from an exhilirating and profitable career as the fake Pirate Jackal to a cushy job in a madman's regime in By the Stars.

I did things unmentionable, but equally as enjoyable in Contenders.

And even if I didn't find my faith in Infection, I at least learned not to drink the milk.

Like Rob, I think the conversations were just as fun for me, even if they were occasionally with folk who enjoyed Serenity.
  • edited May 2007
    Posted By: Graham WSomeone tell me? Was there really no alcohol?
    Graham is in heart-clutching shock, obviously.
  • I succeeded in facilitating the best game I've ever run. Thank you everyone who was in one of my games. You all played hard, and I have reaped the reward, becoming a far better GM-type-person as a result.

Epi: I wouldn't have given you those two cards if I had known you were a Serenity hater! (good meeting you, srsly)
  • Nerdly rocked.

I think I may have killed my own dog in record time -- two conflicts in, and dead like a coffin nail.

Treant ruled. We rocked the walls with the might of our snores.

It was awesome to meet many of you, and those I did not meet I will simply have to find and annoy next year.
  • Yeah, Brand, that was actually the bloodiest game of Dogs I've run. It was followed by the bloodiest game of Shock: I've played and the sexiest and emotionally engaging game of PTA I've played. I think that's a recipe for a really excellent weekend.

I said it in a whisper, but I'll say it in public: Thanks Remi, Travis, Krista, Nick, and Tony. That was solid hours of nailbiting emotional action.

• I had a great time and am very glad to have put faces and voices to so many people I knew only as words and funny icons.

And because no one else has said it here (that I saw) and I managed not to say it to Remi over the weekend (in fact, not seeing enough of Remi is one thing I need to fix in general;): the shirts were awesome! The new owlbear on the shirt front is gorgeous.
  • Yeah... I will be blogging about this soon and thus will link but the highlights were...

Finally playing AGON (thanks Remi) and coming SO CLOSE to the special SWAG John had to offer (by 2 glory). I wept. Other players: Dave, Fred, Frank, & Joanna.

I loved the relaxed mornings I had (especially Sunday) socializing. It was cool hanging with the Saturday morning early zombie crowd at 6:30am (did Jason every actually get sleep?)

By The Stars (Thanks to Mike Miller) - that game is getting cleaner and cleaner and Mike is doing an awesome job putting it all together. I never win this game but I always have fun. :) Other players - Alexander, Eppi, Annita, Terri, Remi, please shout out if you're the guys that played ZION and The Jackal. I just didn't ctahc your names.

Ganakagok - this was a last minute thing and the first time I ran ganakagok. I had Josh, Dave, Patty and Jeff for a really fantastic game about star crossed lovers and leading a village to ruin... or was that just change.

Contenders - Eppi, Rob, John, Terri and I sat down for my second attempt at Contenders. It taught me a lot and we had a blast leading these young delinquents through the story grinder. No one go out of this one.

The Goolge for game Designers was eye opening and a fun conversation. Thank Alexander for a great look into Google tools. There was great input all around and I got a lot out of it.

The food was just right (not too much, not too little). Everyone was great to hang with. next time I am going to make a concerted effort to spend more time with people I didn't know.

- Don
  • Posted By: RemiEpi: I wouldn't have given you those two cards if I had known you were aSerenityhater! (good meeting you, srsly)
    I prefer the epithet Firefly lover, but it was good meeting you as well.
  • Ooo, can we non-east-coasters see the new Camp Nerdly tee?
  • Let me just mirror the thank you to Joshua, Krista, Tony, Nick, and Remi. What an amazingly emotion game for a one shot. It will be a game I remember and talk about for a long time, what a special game.

Also, big thanks to Kit, Anna, and Chris to a great game of With Great Power.
  • Posted By: eruditusFinally playing AGON (thanks Remi) and coming SO CLOSE to the special SWAG John had to offer (by 2 glory). I wept. Other players: Dave, Fred, Frank, & Joanna.
    I swear, I had no idea there was swag!
  • edited May 2007
    Here are the designs (they changed a little bit on the shirt, but you get the idea)
    Front
    Nerdly2.gif

Back
    Nerdly2_back.gif
  • I'm so sad about not getting CN1 swag I could cry :( I wanted to be there, really I did!
  • I had the best freakin' time of my life at CN1!

Both Rob and Remi's PTA games are pretty much at the top of my list of best game sessions I ever had, Improv was a blast, and the food was absolutely yummy. :)

I also felt completely at home - everyone was so friendly and warm, and just an amazing bunch of people to be around.
  • edited May 2007
    Man, I had such a good time. I only ended up playing 2 games I think this weekend (Mortal Coil, TBZ... it's all kind of a haze, though, there might have been another game that I took part in and can't remember). But I did what I wanted to do, which was to

hang out
    meet new people
    solidify friendships with previous people
    relax
    take a small hike
    make sure nothing disastrous happened with food prep
    keep my faith going that what we're doing is good

All were accomplished.

Interesting thing, though: I am SO GLAD that I scheduled Monday off of work previously. Each night I was awake until 2 or 3 AM, talking to people and swapping stories. Then, for reasons unknown, even though I had my ears plugged, the windows shut (from the light) for the most part, no bladder urgencies, no alarms, and no one shaking me, I BOLTED upright both days at 7:00 AM, and quickly made my way to help with breakfast. 4 hours of sleep each night (mitigated by a 90 minute nap on Saturday) somehow caused me to pretty much hibernate the day away. I slept almost all day. :-)

I'm only sad that I didn't have the time to talk to all the people I wanted to, and that there were people that I shook hands with but never got a chance to talk to or game with. Much of that will be remedied next year. But I did love what happened. I hope that everyone had a blast.

The three non-organizer people I have to give major props to are:

Ian Burton-Oakes. If we had a Gold Star with a Purple Heart inside of it, it would go to Ian. Ian helped almost every meal. He cleaned up everywhere without being asked (just popped in and started cleaning). I'm not sure if he was on the toilet duty or not (IIRC, he wasn't, but I may be wrong) but he mopped and cleaned the hell out of the shower and bathrooms on Sunday without being asked.

Ian always is smiling. Seriously. I cracked some kind of joke about it with him at one point. But the only time I didn't see him smiling was when I encountered him looking longingly at the stars one evening. He is probably the nicest person I have met in recent memory. Which probably means he is an assassin working for the NSA. :-) But he took all that energy and in between gaming sessions made sure that the nasty cleanup work Was Done.

Krista E... Eva... Krista. We totally forgot that the loss of our Women's Bathroom/Shower Lieutenant meant that it would get funky as hell. On Sunday, it was reported to me that it looked like a funky mess of dead skin and hair. I freaked out, totally embarrassed that this escaped our planning. Krista was on bathroom duty, but we never really defined what "bathroom duty" meant, or how often people were supposed to clean. I ran to go find her to ask her to step up to be the Bathroom Lieutenant and organize cleaning, and found her as soon as I left the mess hall: She and Ian were already walking back to the mess hall, used mop in one hand and half-empty containers industrial cleaners in the other.

Alexander Newman (Neuman?). Sunday AM breakfast, I'm getting stuff ready, someone else is readying cereal and stuff. We look at the list of what was supposed to be for breakfast.
    Hard-Boiled Eggs. I turned to someone else, and we both kinda made a face.
    Both: Ecccchhhh.
    Him: Well, they should be easy to cook if nothing else.
    Me: Screw that. Scramble them up, we're having scrambled eggs.
    Just then Alexander walks in and starts readying pans.
    Alexander: I'm making made-to-order omelettes.
    Me: Hey man, no need to go that far. I was just thinking instead of hard-boiled eggs, we could just scramble them up...
    Me: Uh... ok, man. This might be a logistical nightmare of folks waiting, haranguing, and you being overworked, but if it's what you want to do...

The omelettes were AWESOME. Delicious, plentiful, and no logistical mess. Alexander did us up some breakfast Right. And he didn't get overworked, nor break a sweat.

Anyway, I had a blast, and really look forward to it again next year.

-Andy
  • edited May 2007
    Alexander is the awesome.

Also, the spiders in the women's bathroom were a little scary. Made me want to run an aracnophobia game.
  • That spider was at Nerdly? I heard Mo talking about it and just thought she was describing a scene from a horror movie...
  • OMELETTES

dammit, I shouldn't have chosen sunday morning for a nap!
  • Oh! I forgot to mention that I got to playtest Clinton's Inuma game. The wacky color cubes had gotten me interested, and I'd been wanting to try it out for a little while now. The conflict mechanics have the potential to be every bit as cool as those in DitV, in much the same way.
  • edited May 2007
    Posted By: Andy
    Alexander Newman (Neuman?). Sunday AM breakfast, I'm getting stuff ready, someone else is readying cereal and stuff. We look at the list of what was supposed to be for breakfast.
    Hard-Boiled Eggs. I turned to someone else, and we both kinda made a face.
    Both: Ecccchhhh.
    Him: Well, they should be easy to cook if nothing else.
    Me: Screw that. Scramble them up, we're having scrambled eggs.
    Just then Alexander walks in and starts readying pans.
    Me: Hey man, no need to go that far. I was just thinking instead of hard-boiled eggs, we could just scramble them up...
    Alexander:I'm making made-to-order omelettes.
    Me: Uh... ok, man. This might be a logistical nightmare of folks waiting, haranguing, and you being overworked, but if it's what you want to do...

The omelettes wereAWESOME. Delicious, plentiful, and no logistical mess. Alexander did us up some breakfast Right. And he didn't get overworked, nor break a sweat.
    Wow. And I considered commenting that it was unfair that someone got stuck cooking omelettes for everyone compared to all the other food prep. Thanks Alex. They were great.
  • I'll see Ian tomorrow and I'm going to kiss him on the mouth. He truly exemplified the Good Camper Code.

I'm so grateful to everybody - particularly including you, Andy - who stepped up and did more than your share.
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsAlso, the spiders in the women's bathroom were a little scary.
    They weren't so bad. They were in the shower and looking for a show. Little eight legged perverts.

So I gave them one... Then splashed them with water. *big grin*

Lisa P
  • Shucks, all this praise is making me blush--I just did some mopping, bleaching, a little shuffling about of food, and some trash picking upping. No need for mouth kissing ;).

I'll gladly second Alexander and Krista for gold stars! I mean, people, omelettes--it's like he made water into wine or something. He had up to three omelettes going at once, moving between them to make sure each were cooked just right. And, heck, I just chipped in and followed Krista's motivational coat tails on the bathroom thing.
  • On the bug front, I'm a big fan of the 3-inch-long bee/hornet action.
  • Omelettes
    ...and none of you have realised that this was my cunning plan to get out of khazi-cleaning duty, which totally worked. I win the eggternet.

I suspect the first couple were a bit ropey, as I got to know the pans, but I like cooking, and it's pretty easy to run off omelettes. I'll gladly do it again next year, assuming I'm not driving to Mongolia.
  • Didn't somebody get stung by said three inch long hornet? I was sure they were all show and no go, but I was wrong - terribly wrong.
  • Don't forget the copperhead I nearly stepped on within minutes of arriving.
  • Posted By: Robert BohlOn the bug front, I'm a big fan of the 3-inch-long bee/hornet action.
    Dude! Did you see this guy? He was in our cabin the day we arrived. By the way, that's my wedding ring next to him so you can compare sizes.

Put him on a toothpick and he's a Jason Morningstar approved, mini.

Lisa P
  • Posted By: segedyThat spider was at Nerdly? I heard Mo talking about it and just thought she was describing a scene from a horror movie...
    THE SPIDER that Mo speaks of was in India. The Nerdly spiders were about 1/5th the size of that monster.

But they were perverts. I'm glad Lisa splashed them.
  • Posted By: urbanpaganPosted By: Robert BohlOn the bug front, I'm a big fan of the 3-inch-long bee/hornet action.
    Dude! Did you seethis guy? He was in our cabin the day we arrived. By the way, that's my wedding ring next to him so you can compare sizes.

Put him on a toothpick and he's a Jason Morningstar approved, mini.

Lisa P
    Nope. The one I have in mind was about 3 times that length.
  • Wow. That's one big ass, fly! I thought the one in our cabin was big...

I didn't even realize it was a fly until I looked at it closely. I guess the sheer awesomocity that is Nerdly killed him. Hell, it nearly killed me. I even lost skin over it!

Lisa P
  • Dave C. (my husband for those of you that don't know) made me go on the understanding that I would get to meet the totally cool Mo and Brand. And I have to say they are awesome. I also met some other people that were amazing such as Lisa Provost, Ian and Kim Burton-Oakes, Abbey and Chiv.....And pretty much everyone else that was there.

On the gaming fun I was a total gaming virgin. Even though Dave talks non-stop here at home about it I never took much interest until I saw a group playing "The Roach". It totally peeked my interest that they were having that much fun playing it. So later on Saturday evening I lost my gaming virginity to "The Roach".....although strange and uncomfortable at the beginning I loved it by the end.
  • It's strange, what we do!

Also, we love it by the end, even when it starts uncomfortable.