Cocaine

edited May 2007 in Story Games
Seems like the one drug that would go great with gaming.

Hours of talk talk talk, and all so interesting (at the time).

Anybody tried it?

Comments

• Wow. I'm not sure how much of a response you can expect from a topic like that... but I'll toss in my two cents.

Although I've only played under the influence of booze and grass (both of which I find to be moderately enjoyable, in moderation), I once stayed up all night on speed, and wrote some of the best and most concise source material for my game. A year and a half later, it remains (in my humble opinion) some of my best work.

As an aside, I certainly do not condone the recreational use of controlled substances -- especially ones so known for their addictive properties. In addition (again, from personal experience)... I would advise that you make sure everyone involved is at least aware and comfortable with the substance in question. Ideally, everyone should be involved -- but I've had nothing but bad experiences trying to hide it from others in a gaming group.
  • I've never done or had any interest in doing cocaine (I'm over-stimulated enough as it is), but I've been around plenty of people who have. The problem I see with cocaine-fueled gaming--aside from the obvious medical and legal risks--is that while people under the influence of cocaine do like to talk, talk, talk all night, in my experience the things they say are rarely as interesting as they seem to think they are. Also, they often seem a lot more willing to talk than they are to listen, and a good gaming dynamic requires both.
  • Anybody tried it?
    Not while gaming, though I think that the above poster pretty much nailed it. When people use cocaine, they act like people who use cocaine. That's a problem. Specifically, the problem is that people who use cocaine see themselves like this:

When pretty much everybody else sees them like this:

If your entire group is composed of cokeheads, I guess it might work out okay.
  • What about LARPing on Mountain Dew?

• Posted By: Aaron S.Wow. I'm not sure how much of a response you can expect from a topic like that... but I'll toss in my two cents.

Although I've onlyplayedunder the influence of booze and grass (both of which I find to be moderately enjoyable, in moderation), I once stayed up all night on speed, andwrotesome of the best and most concise source material for my game. A year and a half later, it remains (in my humble opinion) some of my best work.

As an aside, I certainly do not condone the recreational use of controlled substances -- especially ones so known for their addictive properties. In addition (again, from personal experience)... I would advise that you make sure everyone involved is at least aware and comfortable with the substance in question. Ideally, everyone should be involved -- but I've had nothing but bad experiences trying to hide it from others in a gaming group.
    Yes, although I've never done cocaine or roleplayed under the influence of anything, I have to admit that when you absolutely, positively have to get the creative juices flowing, there's nothing like good old Aderall.
  • I once did storytellying on a Mage: TA game while doing vodka shots. The game detoriated to stupid laughing and killing off every character(I was too drunk to run a good game, they botched alot, what could I do?).
    Never again.
  • Me, couple of friends (old hands at roleplaying, both traditional and Scandinavian freeform), two bottles of Swedish gin and schnapps. The concept: "Let's Make The Game While Playing It". Theme: Pirates!

Suddenly, I awoke, a day later, in my clothes, in bed. No story had been accomplished. We had been babbling, I gather. The key to making stories is to listen sharply.

Conclusion: hard alcohol is not on my list of pro-story drugs.

• Nope but I've seen my mom on it. All she was, was violent as were most of her other friends that were on coke at the same time.

I don't think it would add much at all to a game.

Not interested.

Lisa P
  • Hmmmmm.

I'll split the thread, otherwise I'll start making comments about lightweights.

Graham
  • Posted By: Graham WHmmmmm.

I'll split the thread, otherwise I'll start making comments about lightweights.

Graham
    Hey watch it dude I can drink you under the table any day :p
  • You know I don't want to make any assumptions cause I've only met the guy once. But when I think of "gaming while cocained", I immediately think of...Luke Crane. How else can he have that much energy??

• whether or not you play on cocaine, you can play Cocaine (which is something like sixth from the bottom of the page).
  • Luke is about as staright-edge as you can be. He doesn't do drugs, as far as I know doesn't drink (maybe he does), doesn't eat meat.

There's only one explanation for Luke: He is a robot.

There is, of course, the possibility that he's only mostly composed of robot parts.

-Andy
  • Attending GenCon on any recreational drug-- would be a horrorshow.