So how would you recomend starting here

edited May 2007 in Forum Discussion
Hey Everyone,

I'm new but intrigued by story games. A long time DnDer i've recently expanded my gaming horizons and after a few new friendly faces have broken my teeth on with dogs and SotC, and i plan on doing more so. I'm interested in design , theory and play , and found this discussion forum after finding game chef and realizing that I've missed the 07 Batch was left kind of aback. Not wanting to disturb the Zen, I was wondereing if this would be a good place for me or not.

What i want:

Game Theory Discussion ( I came onto this whole thing late, so while i have read ron's stuff over at the forge there's been nothing new really and i would love to discuss lots of it, my ideas and others)

Game Design DIscussion , I know you guys do this ( at least somewhat) but any particular pointers as to where to start ( Here or in other places, i'm already a member of The forge, RPG.net ,a few others im not looking for a go read the newb thread post but rather things people have found helpful)

Anyway thanks for your time, and im sure if this is bad it will get admined quickly ( It's kind of funny how all these indie game forums are ruled with Iron , even if admitted covered in tye died cloth, fists)

Anyway

Logos

Comments

• Hey Logos7, welcome to story-games! If you haven't already, read the entire Rules & Purpose of Story Games, as it answers most of your questions. S-G is great for a push in a direction, a multi-layered discussion of a single idea, and general games chat. It's a great place to get a games-related idea off the ground (Go Play and Camp Nerdly were born here, among other things), but perhaps not to build your game from the ground up. Ultimately, I think story-games will give back to you what you put in. That's been my experience.

Not quite sure where you get the iron fist thing.
  • just that the rules for alot of these sites read more like stalinist manifesto's than community rules ( TRUST IN ANDY)

I know this isn't from the ground up kind of site ( Their's others out there a few i know some i dont) So i always enjojy helpful linkage ( Help my Bookmarks grow )

I surpose the question is how do i put into here generally/ help the newb overcome the the intimidate of Cobs and old timers/ suggested reading ( Brevitity was never my strong suit sadly)

Logos
  • Hi Logos!

Welcome to Story Games! Where to start?

Well, eventually the Best of Story Games category (up at the top) will be a good place to start, as those are "the best" threads. But for now there are only 3 in there! So instead why not try the Nominations for Best of Story Games to see what threads people really enjoyed.

Also, post a little bit about you in the Who are You? thread. That's always good fun!

Otherwise, just jump in! Ask a question in a thread, post about something cool you've played recently (I'd love to hear about your first Dogs experience) or see if any of the current discussions take your fancy. Honestly, there are few online communities nicer than this one! In fact, a common complaint is we're too nice. Honest ;-)
  • Andy is a benevolent dictator and all those people who disappeared never to be seen again were all troublemakers anyway and aren't we really better off without them around after all?

Kidding, honest. Around here the only real rule is "Be excellent to each other."
  • Hey man, welcome to the big S-G! And I always recommend folks checking out the place, posting a little to see if it's the right feel or not. Anyway, on to your questions/comments:
    Game Theory Discussion ( I came onto this whole thing late, so while i have read ron's stuff over at the forge there's been nothing new really and i would love to discuss lots of it, my ideas and others)
    Unfortunately, this really isn't the place for game theory, if you're talking about GNS/Big Model. It carries too much baggage, and when I started this place I wanted to not make this "The place to discuss theory now that the Theory Forums at the Forge are closed". Mostly because it's not particularly interesting to me, but also because of, again, baggage. However, there are other awesome places to discuss theory, like Knife Fight or the RPG Theory Roundup blog.

Discussing the mechanics and stuff behind gaming, PARTICULARLY stuff that can be expressed demonstrably through the table ("I did this GM trick in play, and this is what happened!" "One of my players turtled all the time, but then we did That, and now she participates more!" etc), call it 'craft', 'theory' or whatever, is Golden here. That sort of discussion is what this site was built for.
    Game Design DIscussion
    This, too, is not really the focus of the site, but it does happen here. Just because a lot of us will tinker with rules, if not outright create new designs. As mentioned, there are far better places (Forge, RPGNet, or With Your Friends) to design games from the ground up. However, this is a great place to get some ideas if you're stuck, or want a look-over of your material and are a regular contributor to other's threads (showing up saying "look at my document!" or otherwise promoting your stuff without, y'know, participating at all any other time, is generally frowned upon), or just in a zany mood and had some idea you wanted to throw out there for a game.

However, when I say "ground up", I mean stuff like, "Hey, here's my idea for a new game. What do you think?" Bad. Unless you've already have it written up and ready to play, in which case that's More Acceptable.

Note: Anytime you ask "Hey, here's my idea for a setting for a D&D/TSOY/Savage Worlds/Other game I'm running next week. What do you think?" That kind of discussion, discussion tied to actually gaming, actual play, is Golden here. That sort of thing is again what this site was built for. Playing Games > Designing Games, that's the thought behind this place (even though I too have some designs I'm puttering around with: I save most of that talk for my blog, and only really post about playing here, with some exceptions).
    It's kind of funny how all these indie game forums are ruled with Iron , even if admitted covered in tye died cloth, fists
    Yep. But it's also amazing how little moderation I actually have to do here, because most people tend to read each other charitably, contribute more enthusiasm than bitterness, etc. Thus far, in over a year, I've only ever had to ban one person, and block two non-spammer joinees from joining.

I do want to make sure that there's no mistake, though. Like RPGNet (I'm an active participant since 1999), I do sometimes seek common approval before making changes. However, in the end I make sure people know that any decision that is made in the long run only answers to one source; Me - And one question; Do I Like It Or Not. It just happens that over 900 people tend to share the same sorts of ideas and likes that I do. I don't mind if people don't join because there is the possibility of fascist ham-handed rulings from one administrator with an agenda to create a gated "Safe Community" for enthusiastic general gaming discussion (like bannings, or forum changes if they happen). If that's what it takes to create and keep a gaming forum that *I* actually like to read and participate in, so be it. 19 members or 900, it's all the same to me: Enthusiasm keeps the place alive. Bitterness doesn't. And I will crush bitterness with the sole of my steel-toe jackboot. :-)

-Andy
  • Also, if anyone else has questions about how things work here (moderation wise, social-wise, etc), or have a question they'd like to ask to me or the community, feel free to do it here!

-Andy
  • That a big answere , and i think you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the linkies, I think im going to like it here. Much better to admit to iron handed ness and avoid so much political pretensions that infest so many other boards.

Does this board keep a List of Most Execellently recommended Links ( Already picted up knife fight for when i have as spare moment but i can always read/learn more )

Thanks again for the responces

J
  • Posted By: Logos7Does this board keep a List of Most Execellently recommended Links ( Already picted up knife fight for when i have as spare moment but i can always read/learn more )
    Yes, there's a April/May/June/whatever month Stuff to Watch thread where people post cool links to other sites. And the list of cool stuff on Story Games is the Best of Story Games category.