IPR article

Hey y'all. Brennan Taylor and I did interviews for TheStreet.com the other day about IPR. The Street is Jim Cramer's newspaper about business and finance. Its sort of like the wall street journal's slick younger brother.The article is in today's small business section. Check it out:

Small-biz buzz

Comments

• This was pretty awesome! It's cool to get some coverage from a non-hobby media outlet.
  • Ooooh ... mainstream-y.
  • Yeah. Now if only the interviewer understood that we're not really in competition with Nintendo and Microsoft. We really are in a niche here, aren't we?

• Dude, whatever. we could be
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanDude, whatever.we could be
    LOL!

I can see the ads now.

"Can't find a Fucking Wii yet? While you wait, come judge some sinners with your friends! Dogs in the Vineyard, ONLY at IPR!"
  • The reason the article name-checks nintendo and Xbox is because they are publicly traded companies and it's a stock site (although nintendo is traded in japan, not on the NYSE). Hasbro is NYSE but it sucks, and that doesn't promote interest in games.

the inclusion of ticker info is a mission statement thing from the big wigs. nothing to be done about it.

None of our other competition is traded companies. Take some solace in that.

The day that Rifts goes IPO is the day i quit this gig.
  • Posted By: Kevin Allen JrThe day that Rifts goes IPO is the day i quit this gig.
    Ha ha ha!
  • There's something very surreal about that article. Not to belittle Brennan's work, but it has the feel of a Nascar reporter interviewing a kid with a soapbox derby car.

Brennan: "Our car is now 50% faster than last year, up to 12 MPH top speed."
    Reporter: "How do you account for this tremendous increase?"

I just keep shaking my head, trying to make it all make sense inside. It's very much like the reporter can't concieve of a business this small, and, therefore, can't figure out what questions make sense to ask. I think that IPR is interesting, and should merit reporting in such a magazine. But there's just no sense of perspective.

Weird. I hope it benefits you in some positive way, Brennan. But I can't imagine how.

Mike
  • More eyeballs.
  • And, to be fair, the people were talking about it as a small business. Making $1700 investment into $12K profit a few years later is something they can respect. It might not sound like much, but there are plenty of small businesses that do nowhere near as well.

The comparisons with Nintendo and Microsoft though? Yeah. Odd. Stock tickers explain it for me nicely, but reading the article I was thrown.
  • IPR took an extremely small initial investment, operates with very low overhead, and broke even after 10 months in business. That is incredibly awesome from a small business standpoint, and when I was talking with the journalist, she sounded pretty impressed, actually.
  • So when you say $12,000 in profit, is that net profit? I assume you don't mean gross revenue... (My own grasp of the financial terms is a bit weak...)

If so, Tony is absolutely right. $12,000 in profits is a substantial chunk of money. Two years of 50% growth and you'll have yourself more than a living wage. That's wonderful.
  • That was actually profit, last year. This year, my profit is going to go way down, actually, because the workload is so high I've needed to hire some folks to assist me. My early profits had a lot to do with me not paying myself for my work (of course, as an owner, I get paid via the profits).
  • Posted By: Brennan TaylorThat was actually profit, last year. This year, my profit is going to go way down, actually, because the workload is so high I've needed to hire some folks to assist me. My early profits had a lot to do with me not paying myself for my work (of course, as an owner, I get paid via the profits).
    Yes, you are investing in capital. And, as a member, let me say: Thank you and keep up the good work.
  • edited June 2007
    Posted By: TonyLBAnd, to be fair, the people were talking about it as a small business. Making $1700 investment into $12K profit a few years later is something they can respect. It might not sound like much, but there are plenty of small businesses that donowhere near as well.

The comparisons with Nintendo and Microsoft though? Yeah. Odd. Stock tickers explain it for me nicely, but reading the article I was thrown.
    Yeah, it seemed pretty positive to me. They obviously treated it like a success story, at least enough to ask for advice.

I suspect they compared to Nintendo and Microsoft because those are the "gaming" things everyone is familiar with. Even if it is a different kind of gaming. A little odd, but not really out there IMO.

And Brennan, keep up the good work. I've been using IPR a fair bit and pointing friends over there simply because you are doing a great job at keeping things running, shipping promptly, and vetting at least to some extent.
  • Kevin or Brennan,

Can you talk a little about how this happened in the first place? Does one of you know the reporter, or have a connection there?
  • I'm proud to be a part of IPR. That piece was great.
  • Kevin's the man--he hooked it up, I don't know exactly how.
  • i'm friends with Annika, the writer. I knew she was working on this new collumn and i suggested IPR. We talked a little about it and she was down. I answered a bunch of questions as a consumer, brennan got a phone interview about the company. The whole thing from "this would be a neat company to write about" to published article took less than 24 hours.
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanDude, whatever.we could be
    Yeah, but only in the sense that novel authors and the NFL are in competition "with one another". It's not a question of scale, but of interest--RPGs/story games scratch an almost-completely-different itch than computer games, IME. Could RPGs be as big as console games? Maybe. Doesn't mean we're necessarily competing for the same people.
  • Posted By: woodelfYeah, but only in the sense that novel authors and the NFL are in competition "with one another".
    That'd be an awful lop-sided cage-match.
  • edited June 2007
    Posted By: TonyLBPosted By: woodelfYeah, but only in the sense that novel authors and the NFL are in competition "with one another".
    That'd be an awful lop-sided cage-match.

Yeah. There're a lot more authors, even just of novels, than there are NFL players. ;-)