Is this a good starter set for Mechaton?

edited June 2007 in Story Games
Okay, so all you Mechaton folks out there...is this a good starter set for Mechaton? That is, just from a quick eyeball, can you say whether or not this has enough robot-y parts to build mechs for two players? I know nothing of Legos, but this seems like a good price for a bunch of them.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    I got that set *just* to be a starter for Mechaton. And it is a good price for the number hinges + other small parts you get.

So, having done just that I can only urge you to...walk away!
    Oh, sure, you'll get a good bargain now. But it won't end there: Soon you'll have stacks of lego boxes, a bricklink wish list as long as your arm, and your time will be consumed with finding the perfect organization system.

Or maybe that's just me?
    [edit]
    I also liked:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4881-1 or http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4097-1
    as "starters", with good idears in the booklets.
  • Robo Pod from 2006
    Arachno Pod from 2005
    Dino Pod from 2006
    Mini Robots from 2007
    Wild Collection isn't interesting, but not ideal for Mechaton

I suspect that LEGO's Exo-Force line would be perfect for Mechaton, except it's at a very large scale and far more expensive. Playing Mechaton with actual mini-fig scale mechs would be sooooo cool though!
  • I second the X-Pod recommendation. For about five seconds a couple years ago they even sold four of them together bundled with a strategy board game.
  • Yeah, what Mike said. THIS is a better starter set, and cheaper too.
  • you really need very specific pieces for Mechaton.
    i don't know of a good "starter set".
    it's crazy.
    here's a game, now have fun trying to play it!
    you're almost better off using pasta and glue...and don't think i haven't thought of it!
  • I'll second Jonathan's recommendation. I just went out and bought two more of the blue+white bot from that set because I could make such good use of the pieces.
  • Posted By: Nateyou really need very specific pieces for Mechaton.
    i don't know of a good "starter set".
    it's crazy.
    here's a game, now have fun trying to play it!
    I was afraid I'd created that kind of problem with Bone White, Blood Red (which needs beads with specific qualities), but then I figured out a way to do it. Whew.