Mexican Standoff, and other party-ready games.

edited August 2007 in Story Games
Evening all

I'm curious about Mexican Standoff. I remember hearing about it a while back, but uncertain whether it's published, or otherwise available.

If it is get-hands-onnable, I'd be curious to hear about others' experiences of playing the game. I gather from some other thread that there might be some tension between the drama-like resolution (roleplay others to acquiescence) and the prospect of winning cashola. If this is a prospect, is it readily surmountable?

My plan is to play as part of a day of low-entry fun games to introduce some friends to gaming and rock out generally. Maybe in fancy dress (I'm thinking early 80s scuzz). Any other games that come to mind that I could add to the mix, especially ones that could accommodate a higher player count?

Comments

• Mafia/Werewolf would probably do you very well. The same guys who produce Jungle Speed have a very nice little version of it called The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. The published game is for 8-16 people, and once you get the hang of it, a game can go very quickly and very entertainingly.

-Rob D.
  • Great idea, Rob. We used to play a lot of Mafia years back and had a great time. It looks like my FLGS is currently out of that published version, but even without it I'm sure we could scrape something together. Actually, as Mafia, it would work pretty well to my nascent theme.
  • Once Upon a Time, the card game. We used to play this game the evening of our friends' weddings, with the newlyweds always appearing as the main characters. The addition of drink helped lubricate these stories to hilarious levels.
  • Sea Dracula?
  • I purchased Mexican Standoff at GenCon 2006. I have no idea if it will return again this year, but that does suggest that physical copies may be available somewhere.

It ends up feeling kind of like a gambling improv game, and it does play differently depending on whether you use real stakes or not. YMMV. I understand Cash & Guns uses a similar theme, but is more like a card game (plus, hey, toy guns!), and thus might be more approachable for some people.
  • Cool, Ben. Cash and Guns accommodates up to 6 players - how about Mexican Standoff?

JBR, can you play OUAT with many peoples? It sounds cool (though it breaks my retro vibe a bit).

Jake - I've looked it up and am now digesting it, thanks. It looks wrong for my purposes in so many ways.... yet, perhaps, strangely right.
  • edited August 2007
    I've played Mexican Standoff - arguably I've played it wrong, because we also did not play for cash - and I think it's not very consequential unless you all go in wanting to make a story. The game won't make you, that's for sure.

Cash 'n Guns is very different, but is indeed very fun.
  • It looks wrong for my purposes in so many ways.... yet, perhaps, strangely right.
    It's a good ice breaker anyway, but I shouldn't have suggested it. The current version is a mess, and takes too long to play. New version coming soon.
  • We played Cash And Guns! It's great. There's something LARPy about it, in that you build trust with other players and, if you screw someone over, they'll screw you back.

However, it is not indie, and therefore bad.

Graham
  • I built my own Cash and Guns set almost a year ago and have yet to get a chance to play it. (weeps)

Remi's business card game about sheep might also be worth looking at.
  • Hi Alex,

Mexican Standoff is (normally) offered in HTML format from website. But since that's still down at the moment, I could email it to you. Just send me an email at timfire2 -at- yahoo -dot- com. I did print up a few physical copies for GenCon last year, but that was a special Con thing. I still have a few copies laying around that I could sell, if you wanted one. I think I was charging... $4, if I remember right.

There are a couple AP reports over at the Forge, if wanted to check them out.

When I've played for a couple bucks only---which is most of the time---the money thing wasn't really a concern. It was more just about imaginative content. But when I played with Peter Adkinson, we were playing with $20 per person (x5!). That changed the game.
  • Posted By: Graham WWe played Cash And Guns! It's great. There's something LARPy about it, in that you build trust with other players and, if you screw someone over, they'll screw you back.
    Awesome, and totally contrary to my experience. I usually play with hardcore boardgamers, and the only roleplay-ey stuff we ever do is the occasional funny voice. It's straight, hardcore, and fast (usually about 10 minutes for a game IIRC).
  • I played Fleeced (my 'sheep game') again this weekend with a passle of people too drunk/tired to play Murder and it still went pretty well. It has some weird emergent behaviors that are a lot of fun, and it takes 10-15 minutes to play. 8-12 players is optimal, I think.

I need to take a look at the rules again, but it's playable.
  • Remi, that looks potentially very cool. What do the shepherds actually do, besides lie (or not) about how many sheep they have?
  • The Parsely Trilogy: Action Castle!, Jungle Adventure! and Space Station! will be available after GenCon.

UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF PLAYERS. UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF FUN.
  • The Parsely Trilogy: Action Castle!, Jungle Adventure! and Space Station! will be available after GenCon.

!!!

• Alex,
    Shepherds, essentially, get to decide who loses their sheep, and why. They also get enslaved by the Prophets, which is more fun than it sounds (because it forces them to be non-ambiguous about their choices). I need to take out the thing about keeping track of their sheep. Jason pointed out if that's the rule, people will try to break it. If it's not, it's obvious (I think).

Every time I've played it, there's been one-upsmanship between the prophets, and the shepherds rally to one side or another.

I am intrigued by the Parsely Trilogy, sounds awesome.