[LA] Holy Crap, Gateway is going to rule

edited August 2007 in Directed Promotion
As many of you know, I'm one of the RPG coordinators for the Strategicons, a series of three conventions held each year in Los Angeles. I've been putting the schedule together (event submissions close tomorrow), and I just realized how awesome it looks. For reference, these are all of the different game systems we have scheduled:

7th Sea
Battlestations
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Burning Wheel
Call of Cthulhu
Classic Dungeons & Dragons
Crimson Cutlass
Cthulhu Live
D&D (House rules)
D&D 3.5
Deadlands
Dogs in the Vineyard
Don't Rest Your Head
Executive Decision
Fantasy Hero
Full Light, Full Steam
Grey Ranks
GURPS 3e
Hero System
HeroQuest
In Nomine Live
InSpectres
It Was A Mutual Decision
My Life with Master
Not Poker
Paranoia XP
Polaris
Primetime Adventures
Pulp Adventure
Sensical Roleplaying
Serenity
Shadowrun 4e
Sons of Liberty
Sorcerer & Sword
Space Blade!
Spirit of the Century
Spycraft 2.0
Star Wars D20 Saga Edition
Stargate SG-1
Stranglehold!
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
Toon
Tunnels & Trolls
unWritten
World of Darkness

Keep in mind, this is a con that two years ago was (almost) nothing but GURPS and Call of Cthulhu. So, if you're in the LA area over Labor Day weekend, come on out. I'll also be running an IPR booth in the dealer's room. If you're not in LA, give some serious thought to coming out over President's Day Weekend next February.

--Paul

Comments

• IGE for the win!

Also, we're having a NerdSoCal meetup on Friday at 7pm in the hotel bar, so swing on by for some socializing! :)
  • I really want to give props to Paul and Denys, as well as Joshua, Jesse and other attendees, who have done so much to introduce new games and drive changes at the con to make new games possible. There were naysayers and a lot of assumptions about what a "Con RPG" was supposed to be, but these people have done terrific work opening up those possibilities.

Great work guys!

CK
  • There are at least two games in each slot I want to play in. Where did I put that cloning machine?
  • That's insane in the membrane. Right on!
  • Holy fuck, Paul -- I'm your fellow coordinator and I'm still shocked at that level of coolness.

We rock.

All you area Story-Gamers -- now the task is to get players to show up! Please spread the word!

P.S. Personal plug here -- I'm doing Grey Ranks twice at the con so please look for it.
  • Just waiting for pregregistration, Denys. ;)
  • Seriously, a game of Don't Rest Your Head at midnight is just an awesome idea. I might have to come this time.

The lineup is amazing. I've been wringing my hands over event pre-reg opening, but it's so good I'd better decide if I'm going before then. Congrats to you all for organizing such a fun looking schedule.
  • This is the third time I've been to the Strategicons, and everytime has been incredible. I've met some great people and I'm really excited about going back.

Thanks a lot Paul and Denys.

This will be my first time running a game at a con (let alone my own game) so I'm a bit nervous, but honestly everyone I've met has been so great I know we'll all have a blast.

Alex
  • Posted By: Joshua BishopRobyJust waiting for pregregistration, Denys. ;)
    I know...it's frustrating for all of us. Con management just wants to make sure it works rather than turn it on and be broken. We'll make sure the world knows when pre-reg for events is finally active.
  • Posted By: xternalSeriously, a game of Don't Rest Your Head at midnight is just an awesome idea. I might have to come this time.

The lineup is amazing. I've been wringing my hands over event pre-reg opening, but it's so good I'd better decide if I'm going before then. Congrats to you all for organizing such a fun looking schedule.
    I played in the last Midnight DRYH madness at Gamex a few months ago and it BROUGHT TEH AWESOME!
  • Orc Con last year was my second con ever (after Gen Con So Cal '07), and now I wouldn't miss it for the world. Too many good gamers, too many good games, too little time.

Congrats and thanks to Paul, Deyns and all the rest!
  • Posted By: nocluePosted By: xternalSeriously, a game of Don't Rest Your Head at midnight is just an awesome idea. I might have to come this time.

I played in the last Midnight DRYH madness at Gamex a few months ago and itBROUGHT TEH AWESOME!

In fact, 2 people in the game actually died later.

There's a Japanese-horror movie being made about that session -- you play the game and then.. YOU DIE.
  • edited August 2007
    Posted By: Vasco BrownOrc Con last year was my second conever(after Gen Con So Cal '07)
    That's right, folks, attend strategicon and you get superpowers like the ability to bend time and space! ;)
  • Posted By: NoblePosted By: nocluePosted By: xternalSeriously, a game of Don't Rest Your Head at midnight is just an awesome idea. I might have to come this time.

I played in the last Midnight DRYH madness at Gamex a few months ago and itBROUGHT TEH AWESOME!

In fact, 2 people in the game actually died later.

There's a Japanese-horror movie being made about that session -- you play the game and then.. YOU DIE.

Yes, and I was one of the two.
  • Posted By: WillHThere are at least two games in each slot I want to play in. Where did I put that cloning machine?
    Only two? You're lucky!
  • That is fantastic, Paul. Nice.

So, what didja do to make that happen?
  • Posted By: JuddThat is fantastic, Paul. Nice.

So, what didja do to make that happen?
    We brow-beat. ;)

Plus...a reputation is building that we're actually making the con a nice place to run and play non-traditional rpgs.
  • Posted By: Joshua BishopRobyPosted By: Vasco BrownOrc Con last year was my second conever(after Gen Con So Cal '07)
    That's right, folks, attend strategicon and you get superpowers like the ability tobend time and space!;)

And, you bring Gencon back to SoCal.
  • Posted By: WillHAnd, you bring Gencon back to SoCal.
    Amusingly enough, that's part of what we're doing this con. Both Grey Ranks and The Roach Returns will be played at the con and will be available for purchase at the IPR booth. I'll also be hand-importing other New Hotness from GenCon as soon as I find out what they are.

--Paul
  • Posted By: ptevisPosted By: WillHAnd, you bring Gencon back to SoCal.
    Amusingly enough, that's part of what we're doing this con. Both Grey Ranks and The Roach Returns will be played at the con and will be available for purchase at the IPR booth. I'll also be hand-importing other New Hotness from GenCon as soon as I find out what they are.

--Paul

Will you have the origional Roach? IPR was out of stock when I looked the other day.
  • Posted By: WillHWill you have the original Roach? IPR was out of stock when I looked the other day.
    I'll see what I can do.
  • And I'm sorta-maybe planning on releasing Sons of Liberty at OrcCon 2008 -- after all, OrcCon is on President's Day. Hard to pass up an opportunity like that. ;)
  • OrcCon 2008 is going to rock. . . for reasons I cannot yet disclose.

--Paul
  • edited August 2007
    That is awesome and BTW - are you going to ahve SoL T-shirts at the Gateway, cause I want one.
  • Response to the SoL shirts was abyssmally low, not enough to justify the capital of ordering the shirts, so I refunded the handful of orders I did get. I may still do the shirts at OrcCon, when the game is released.
  • Suck, have you thought about just Cafe pressing them?
  • Posted By: ptevisOrcCon 2008 is going to rock. . . for reasons I cannot yet disclose.

--Paul
    hehehe

hahahaha

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

All I can say regarding this is --

LET
    THE
    NEW
    ERA
    BEGIN
  • I can only speculate that the new era will include rocket packs, super models and free booze for the GMs.
  • Screw that, I want free boozy models and super rocket packs.
  • Joshua has the right of it.
  • Posted By: WillHWill you have the origional Roach? IPR was out of stock when I looked the other day.
    There will be plenty of copies of The Roach available for everybody very soon, as in a matter of days. I suspect the on-hand inventory got put in the Gen Con box, but several hundred are in the warehouse, or will be soon. They've been printed and shipped, anyway.
  • Mmm...event prereg is open, and I now own a PDF of Grey Ranks. Actual play sells great, but anticipatory play can sell as well!