The Moon Monkey Mystery -- a new adventure for Spirit of the Century!

edited September 2007 in Directed Promotion
The Moon Monkey Mystery, a new adventure for Spirit of the Century, is now available for free download:

http://roger.carbol.com/rpg/The_Moon_Monkey_Mystery.pdf

Please let me know what you think! I'm also interested to hear if people think that pre-fabbed adventures make any sense for a system like Spirit of the Century.

Cheers,
Roger

Comments

• (lost my previous post to an electric outage, so this one is considerably smaller)

Roger:

I read your adventure and I liked it. I liked the craziness of it. I loved the Gun Fu idea, but maybe you could expand it to a whole 'tree' instead of a single stunt. I felt, however, hat it was a bit railroady for my taste.

On pre-made SotC adventures:

a) I think you need pre-made characters to tie them into the story. Or at least give the players the initial premise, and then ask them to choose a temporary aspect to tie them into the story.
    b) You need to take aspects and declarations into account. Give examples on how to use them and perhaps try to take the more probable into account. What would happen if a PC scientist declared the skull is actually a hoax or something like that.
    c) You need to add some interesting or quirky mechanics to make the adventure stand apart from mere 'improv' play. Thing the GM wouldn't come up in an instant.

I think a SotC adventure should be less rigid than a 'trad' scenario, maybe adding some sort of meta or macro mechanic to solve the whole story. But I do think that it can be done. I'm thinking something like middle ground between InSpectres and Burining Empires...
  • Thanks for your comments, elmago. There's a lot there to chew over; let me ruminate on it a bit. (That's a good thing.)

Cheers,
    Roger
  • I have finished ruminating.

Yeah, some pre-genned characters or char-gen recommendations could have been handy. If there's another revision of it, I'll consider cramming them in somewhere.

Aspects and declarations... yeah, I could add some sidebars about this. As you say, it's pretty wide-open, so I'm not sure if they'd help much. A bit of playtesting would probably convince me one way or the other.

> You need to add some interesting or quirky mechanics to make the adventure stand apart from mere 'improv' play. Thing the GM wouldn't come up in an instant.

I don't think I understand what you mean by this, if you'd care to explain a bit.

Thanks,
    Roger
  • Hi Roger,
    A neat little adventure, especially considering you wrote in, what a week?
    One part I don't like is chapter four, where the PCs are infected with blue lycanthropy pretty much by GM fiat. Mechanically, that's adding an aspect to the characters against which they should have some chance to resist...at least, I'd be miffed if my character didn't have some chance to resist or you didn't offer me an appropriate compel to be affected by the gas. It doesn't seem to be all that relevant to the adventure, either, since the Werewolf aspect isn't all that bad!
    But that could lead to the 'quirky mechanic' suggested by Rene, above. The kernel of the idea is that the transformation by an infected character to a werewolf form instills a severe consequence, which can be healed only by being 'cured' (finding the antidote). In this way at most two transformations result in the character being 'taken out'. That would put some stress on the PCs, especially if the PCs are subject to the same rules as Jenkins (they transform to werewolf when half their composure is marked off). I'm not sure I would do it that way, though. I think an involuntary transformation has got to be either a concession or a 'taken out' result in a conflict. The aspect 'blue lycanthrope' effectively penalizes the PCs enough in that it can be continually tagged for +2 in social combats.
    And the image of the Savoy has got me thinking elevators, stairs, external climbers--there must be a way to develop some 'quirky mechanics' to simulate a chase inside the building where the pursuit and the pursuers are using different means of movement. I'm picturing the chase inside the prison in "The Fugitive". I know it could be done with the current Chase rules, but the Savoy cries out for a sketch map of zones and borders and simultaneous movement...cool!
    Mel
  • Roger, I'm talking about the sort of things Mel speaks about in his post. Those would immensely add to the experience of a game.
  • Thanks for your comments, Mel, and also elmago again.

Yeah, getting this knocked out in a week or so was a bit of a sprint. It made some things easier and other things harder.

When the characters get infected... I didn't make that as clear as I needed to. They haven't picked up a new Aspect or anything -- they're just starting to contract the disease, so it hasn't really done anything to them yet except in the most superficial way. So it's just pure fluff and colour, really. I agree that just dumping full-blown blue werewolfism on them would have been a pretty jerky thing to do.

The whole quirky mechanics thing: I see what you're getting at, now. Hmmm. Need to think a bit more on that.

Thanks again for the feedback,
    Roger
  • Roger,
    Your adventure has inspired me to come up with one of my own, "Louis Leakey and the Mystery of the Murdered Monkey" also known as "Homo Habilis, Homicide". I'll see if I can get it ready for a future convention!
    Mel