Single Combat!!!

edited September 2007 in Game Design Help
So, thanks to Jonathan Walton in this thread, I've got this game going again. Mostly it's going to be one on one combat - tournament style, in the style of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. I need help with three things, and I think they're right up the collective alley of this community.

First, fighters are going to have a style and a power which drive and define their special moves. Styles are fighting styles like Kung Fu, Special Ops, or Brawler. Powers are more like associations with elements, animals, or what have you, they're a little bit more open than the styles. Example powers would be things like Fire, Death, or Reptile. Powers especially are up to interpretation on a per-character basis - for example, "Reptile" would be used differently for a dragon themed fighter than for a snake themed fighter. I want to put together a good sized list of both of these for playtest use.

The other thing I need, and this one is a little bit more work, is cool locations for the fights to take place. Interaction with the environment is always one of the fun things about these video games, and I want to throw that in as an element of the design. A location needs a fair amount of description, and at least one or two ways in which the fighters can directly interact with the scenery. Preferably deadly ways.

Anyway, I'd love to see some SG style brainstorming on this! Rock out! 100,000 bonus points to anyone who gives us a reason why it is more fun to tabletop this sort of game than videogame it.

Edit to correct post in wrong category.

Comments

• 100,000 bonus points to anyone who gives us a reason why it is more fun to tabletop this sort of game than videogame it.
    Maybe it could be a two level game? While the fight is going on, there's another game, played in the same time frame, of betting and attempting to influence the judges? And in-between rounds there's the possibility of various forms of cheating, such as illegal enhancement technology/magic/drugs (whatever your setting calls for), or poisoning opponents. Not to mention trying to land contracts for endorsements, etc.