[APFMT] Need a convention blurb

I'm going to be running "A Penny For My Thoughts" at a convention in November and I need a good "blurb" for the program book. For those who aren't familiar with convention games, a blurb is a brief description of the game that's intend to draw people to the game and inform them on what the game is about in 3 or 4 sentences.

The blurb also requires a game system name and a scenario title and while I think that "A Penny For My Thoughts" should suffice for both, I know that's going to confuse the con coordinator. So I'm thinking about calling the system "Story Game" or naming the scenario "Telepathic Therapy" (listing Paul as the scenario author since I'm not writing anything).

How have others dealt with this for self-contained games like APFMT where the system is the scenario? I'm think Polaris, Gingerbread Men, and a few others would have faced the same questions in the past based on what little I know of those games.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Usually, I think up a fairly generic and grabby title. Like, for Lacuna, I think it was "Do No Harm" (which actually is not that great, but you get the picture). For Best Friends, I used "The Mystery Of Blackstock Ridge": the only set part of the scenario was that they were on holiday in a cabin in Blackstock Ridge, whatever that was.

I like your "Telepathic Therapy". Better than calling the system "Story Game", in my opinion.

Graham
  • I'd use A Penny For My Thoughts for the system, cuz, well, that is the system. For the scenario, why not use Advanced techniques in the treatment of acute global amnesia straight from the front page?

For I blurb I would rework Paul's opening paragraphs into something like...

"Hello. My name is Dr. Peter Tompkins. You do not remember me. In the not too distant past, you suffered a traumatic shock resulting in global amnesia, total memory loss. We have decided on a radical therapy using the experimental drug, Mnemosyne. Mnemosyne allows a person to connect with the unconscious mind of another. It allows someone else access to your memories. We have developed a therapy that allows individuals to help each other recover their memories. You are now ready to begin..."

Of course it may need a bit more work.
  • Remember your audience. Will the majority of the con-goers be familiar with the idea of "story games"? Or is it "RPGA, 'round the clock"?

Describe the mechanics. Sure, you'll scare off some of the traditional gamers, but you'll guarantee that those who show up to play won't be bringing "dungeon crawl, but inside someone's brain" baggage. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) You shouldn't have to do this, but if the mechanics are a good distance away from "roll a d20," then you owe the potential players that forewarning. Some folks have a real hate-on for dice pools, or roll-low, or whatever, and would let that negative vibe spoil the table.
  • I'd also make sure that you mention in the program blurb that it's a playtest.

Drop me a line and I'll hook you up with the latest version of the rules. We're finding ways of making them not suck.

--Paul
  • Posted By: PaulSure, you'll scare off some of the traditional gamers,
    You mean Advanced techniques in the treatment of acute global amnesia wasn't enough to scare those folks off already? ;)
  • Posted By: noclueI'd useA Penny For My Thoughtsfor the system, cuz, well, that is the system. For the scenario, why not useAdvanced techniques in the treatment of acute global amnesiastraight from the front page?

For I blurb I would rework Paul's opening paragraphs into something like...

"Hello. My name is Dr. Peter Tompkins (snip)
    Turns out you do have a clue! This is what I think I'm going with. Thanks!
    Posted By: PaulRemember your audience. Will the majority of the con-goers be familiar with the idea of "story games"? Or is it "RPGA, 'round the clock"?
    There isn't a lot of familiarity with story games, but the orginization I'm with often runs unusual stuff so we've built an expectation that if you're playing one of our games you aren't going on a dungeon crawl. So the blurb with a "playtest" warning should take care of it.
    Posted By: ptevisI'd also make sure that you mention in the program blurb that it's a playtest.

Drop me a line and I'll hook you up with the latest version of the rules. We're finding ways of making them not suck.
    Thanks! The con's in February so I'll hit you up in January for the latest version...unless it's done now?

Newish Topic: I was planning on GMing the game taking on the role of the doctor and reading/paraphrasing the rules for the players and generally keeping them on track. With a group that has very little story games experience, is this a good idea or will it work just fine if I'm a patient too?