A Little Help Please.

edited November 2007 in Game Design Help
I'm working on my first design and ran into some blocks.
tomgurg.googlepages.com is the location of the game.
Specific questions:
1. Does the original concept of Corruption points work better than the revision?
2. How to generated Hope/Imagination points during the game?
3. New name? I'm thinking Twisted Rhymes Memory Crimes at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
tomg

Comments

• Here's some more info. Specifically the section I need the most help with.
    Flavor text/explanation:
    Each player is a 7-10 year child. He has stepped through a threshold into a deteriorating FairyTaleLand. It is a gloomy, dreary place. FairyTaleLand is dying because no one reads fairy tales anymore. The only thing maintaining it now, aside from the occasional telling of a tale, is the childhood memories of the old. Dark and twisted versions of fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters now venture into the human world to collect these memories every night.
    The player has just experienced the theft of some of his grandfather’s memories and was able to pass through just before the threshold closed. He is now lost in a bleak, twisted FairyTaleLand with no knowledge of how to get back to his world

Issue:
    Resolving Conflicts and Situations
    As the story grows the players will reach decision points at which they will need to choose options. To decide the outcome of the situation players will choose a Quality that best fits the situation and roll their Quality number of dice. The GM rolls 3 or more dice. Additional dice may be added based on the situation. Odd numbers are successes. The number of successes is totaled and the one with the highest number of successes continues the story as they wish. (use PDQ levels/difficulties tables)

Time and Corruption Points
    Spending Time in the Twisted Land leads to corruption of the character. As the PC’s spend time here they change into a darker version of themselves. This is shown in the game with Corruption points. Time is represented by a regular deck of cards. At regular intervals (determined by the length of the game) the GM flips the top card of a well shuffled deck of cards. Any face card means the GM gets a corruption point. Shown cards are placed in a discard pile. These points are pulled from the common Hope Pool. He may use his Corruption Points to add dice to his rolls or he may award it to a PC. Each time the player accumulates 3 corruption points a die is removed from a Quality to its Opposite. The player chooses which Quality is affected. As dice are moved from a Quality to its Opposite, the player is in essence and fact becoming weaker or less adept in that Quality. This could be interpreted as the player becoming more reckless or overconfident for example if the Quality is Courage. Or sneaky if the Quality is Honesty. This effect of the game is left for the player to decide and may manifest differently depending on the situation. If all Quality dice are moved to the Opposites, the player has changed into his Opposite and plays that change. As the story progresses and Corruption points increased, dice are moved from the Opposites back to the Qualities in the same manner i.e. reversing the change. In this way the influence and chaos of FairyTaleLand is mimicked in the game. The player potentially will play the extremes of his character and everything in between.

Hope Point Pool
    Hope and optimism spring eternal in the hearts of our children. The Hope Point Pool will hopefully reflect these qualities. This pool is set up at the beginning of the game and is used by both the players and the GM. Hope points can be used by any player to add a die to a roll, temporarily level up for a feat, or remove one Corruption point. A player may also use 3 HP to move a Quality die from its Opposite back to the Quality. Additionally the GM has the option of awarding Hope points for excellent role playing. HPP are returned to the pool once used if the PC is successful in whatever he used them for. If not they are lost. Hope pool points should be represented by some sort of token. The beginning number of these is to be determined somehow.
    The GM uses HPP as Corruption Points (CP). He takes one from the pool for every face card flipped during the game. The GM may stockpile CP. These points are not returned to the pool once used.

See the questions in the first post. I'm going with Twisted Rhymes Memory Crimes by the way. Any assistance is appreciated.
  • hi

I like the concept and the brief intro you've given here.

3 thoughts/ questions

Is there a limit on how/when players can use hope dice - can a player grab them all? (maybe this is a feature borrowed from DRYH- but I've never played it)

time = corruption and the card draw seems like a good pacing mechanism - although you may want to weird it up a bit to keep it from becoming routine- maybe the pace of draws accelerates or slows based on some other resource in the game, or the gm can keep drawing if they get a face card so there can be a string of bad luck from the players' perspective, etc.

does play ever take place in the real world?
  • Thanks for the comments Markv.
    Your points are good ones. I had not thought of the 'grab them all' idea and need to put a mech in place for that. Time - the string of bad luck idea is a neat one that I think I will use. I had been toying around with using Aces and Jokers as Hope point generators also. So the same could apply for string of good luck. The real world - thanks for reminding me of this. I had thought a bit about it at first then it got lost. I will revisit it.
    Your comments are hugely appreciated.
    Look for them to be incorporated in some way in the next few days.
    tomg