Dragonlance as a Sorcerer game?

edited November 2007 in Story Games
My friend KB really digs the Dragonlance novels. I think he's read something like 80 of them. Lately he's been bummed out by the crumminess of the Dragonlance movie trailer. And I said, "Hey: you used to game, I still game - let's game together sometime over the holidays, and I'll do this Dragonlance thing for you." And I'm wondering about how to do it using Sorcerer & Sword as a one-session game.

It's not as bad a fit as it may sound: from what little I remember of the original novels, there's a post-apocalyptic world, where swordsmen and warlocks scramble for wreckage from the bombed-out ruins of prior civilizations. The gods are silent as false prophets spread blasphemous doctrine. Amid the rubble, people cling pathetically to old traditions, or revert to barbaric savagery. A new army is abroad in the land, promising a restoration of order, prosperity, and piety -- under the lash of the conqueror, with the racial vermin subjugated under the master race.

I'm drawing a bit from "Dictionary of Mu" and "Charnel Gods" here, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. Suggestions & criticism welcome!

Demons Are creatures/people/objects/ideas/ghosts from the pre-Cataclysmic world - probably, things related to Dragons (as the dragons, the gods, and the cataclysm are all wrapped up in each other.)

Lore Is knowledge of the ancient world, particularly dragons. There's a strong element of Stuff Man Was Not Meant To Know going on here - the past civilization was destroyed precisely because it mastered this lore.

Sorcerers Are people who, for one reason or another, know more about Dragons/the Gods/the Past than they should. They might be scholars, madmen, or tomb-robbers...

Humanity Is - hmmm. I was originally just thinking, "doing right by other people" and leaving it kind of intuitive, but if someone can think of a tighter definition based on the foregoing, I'd be grateful.

At Zero Humanity - you become the Harbinger of a new Cataclysm, ala "Charnel Gods."

Sorcery Is - Hmmm, what should this look like? What's it all about?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Stamina Descriptors
    Que-Shu Barbarian
    Son (or Daughter) of Solamnia
    Ogre-kin
    Life is Toil
    Athletic
    Arcane Secrets

Will Descriptors
    Fearless Kender
    Lover
    Murderous Wrath
    Doomed Courage ("Destiny" rules encouraged)
    Leader of Men
    Mad Ambition
    Aghar Half-Wit

Lore Descriptors
    Deranged Minoi (price at -2)
    Inhuman Survivor of a Bygone Age
    Half-breed Child of the Old Ones
    Order of High Sorcery
    Dragon-Schooled Prophet
    Tomb-Robber

Example Skill-sets
    Renegade Wizard
    False Prophet
    Knight of Solamnia
    Dragon High-Lord
    Immortal (Inhuman Survivor or Half-Breed only)
    Guttersnipe

Run-Through of the Companions (as a double-check)
    Raistlin - Weakling, Mad Ambition, Order of High Sorcery
    Caramon - Ogre-kin + Athletic, Lover, N/A (Tomb-Robber in the second trilogy)
    Sturm - Son of Solamnia, Doomed Courage, N/A
    Tanis - Athletic, Lover, Half-Breed Child of the Old Ones
    Goldmoon - Que-Shu Barbarian, Lover + Leader of Men, Dragon Schooled Prophet
    Tasselhoff - Athletic, Fearless Kender, N/A
    Flint - Life of Toil, Doomed Courage, N/A
    Kitiara - Daughter of Solamnia, Mad Ambition + Lover, Dragon-Schooled Prophet
  • edited November 2007
    Ideas for Demons
    Tower of High Sorcery (desire: Knowledge, need: to psychologically mutilate sorcerers)
    Dragon (desire: mayhem, need: eat people)
    Ghost of Fistandilus (desire: power, need: ???)
    Lord Soth (desire: ruin, need: reminders of what was lost) (Soth is, in fact, a Lich per the rules in Sorcerer & Sword)
    Silver Arm of Ergoth (desire: creation, need: precious metals)
    Takhisis
    Paladine
    Mishakal
    Hiddukel

anything else come to mind?
  • Although Dragonlance says this more than it actually delivered this, Dragons can be such complex, interesting forces that I think generalizing about them would miss something that could make the game awesome.

Some more ideas for Demons:
    Kender Luck (Desire: complicate kender lives, need: stealing)
    Hiddukel (Desire: to collect souls Need: to buy things that are important to the other party)
    Takhisis (Desire: to rule Krynn, need: Violence done in her name
    Paladine (Desire: control Need: to punish sin)
    Mishakal (Desire: nurturing the sick and wounded Need: to do acts of self-sacrifice)
    Kiri-Jolith (Desire: Glory Need: confrontation)
  • Mmm, I like that Ryan! I'll edit post #3 accordingly. Mortals with sufficiently high Lore (i.e., they know about the True Gods) can pray to the gods, just like Pacts in Sorcerer & Sword, with the god's Power being whatever's necessary to get the job done. This is a bit cleaner than treating some of the gods as Angels, which I was a little reluctant to do.

Dragonlances are not demons; rather, they are devices which permit you to Punish or Banish a dragon using full dice even if it's a snapshot ritual.
  • What era dragonlance, or are you thinking more of a "Dragonlance's Greatest Hits"?

(it's been awhile, I might have the wrong name)

That time travel device could be a demon.
    The Graygem of Garax (sp?) is definitely one
    The Green Gemstone (of Berem the Green Gemstone man)
    The Oath (code?) and the Measure should be demons FOR SURE. ESPECIALLY the Measure.
    Dragon Orbs definitely are demons
  • This will probably have to be a Greatest Hits thing, because (a) I only read the first few books or so (the first two trilogies, plus a couple of the early spin-offs), (b) I don't remember much about them, and (c) we probably will end in 3-4 hours.

I'm thinking the Portal to the Abyss isn't a demon so much as a way to access the Mystic Otherworld (per Sorcerer & Sword), and there might be some time-travel craziness there.

I'm tempted to demonize the Solamnic Oath/Measure stuff, but I can't remember what function it served in the books. What did it do for its adherents? What price did they have to pay to derive that benefit?
  • So - here's a thing to help me figure out Humanity: what do the characters in the early books actually learn from their actions?

Like: Tanis, right? He had this thing going on with the Elf woman and the Human woman. I think he chooses the Elf woman, but under what circumstances? What's the big deal to him, as a character, in making that choice?

Also: I don't remember very much about Caramon and Raistlin. At some point Raistlin goes into Hell to conquer the universe, and Caramon tells him that everything will be destroyed, and it's not worth it - and Raistlin repents, or something. So: power isn't worth it, if you lose everything you love. (I think that's the lesson, as it makes sense that Raistlin gains power by transgressing against his filial bond and then relinquishes power to redeem that bond, but I can't really remember.)

Why did Sturm choose to die? Was that a good death, in the context of the story? Did anybody learn anything from that?

Also - what was up with Lord Soth? To what extent did his choices play into becoming a monstrous undead thing?
  • Well they're all choosing Good vs. Evil in a pretty... heavy handed way.

Tanis chooses Laurana (Good, slightly less sexy) over Kitiara (Evil, VERY sexy)

Caramon chooses to try to redeem Raistlin instead of try to kill him (evil)

Raistlin grapples more with evil (fulfilment of ambition) over good, choosing to abandon evil because he suddenly sees it's self-defeating, but it's tempting for him

Sturm chose to make a stand to try to defend people (good) regardless of consequences, and even challenged a self-serving establishment of good in order to try to get it back to its ideals.
  • That reminds me, one of the Dragonlance sourcebooks had an alignment-tracking chart you were supposed to use. It had sections for Good, Neutral, and Evil with several tick marks in each section. Characters started in the middle of whichever section their declared alignment was. Good acts moved the character towards, Good, and the same with Evil. There was something in the text about adjusting based off character actions rather than intentions.

There was probably a similar track for the Lawful/Chaotic spectrum, but I can't remember.
  • Interesting stuff...the brilliant Dragonlance adaptation that I never did was Cartoon Action Hour.