[Nerdinburgh] We played our asses off

One of my commitments to myself for 2008 was to host a small story game dedicated convention at my house, and it happened yesterday. Nine people were invited, most of them people I play with in different groups, plus a couple of their friends. One guy was unable to make it, as he had caught a vicious bug, but eight people turned up at my door around 1pm on Saturday. They were Joe Murphy and his two gaming friends Calum and Jennifer, Joe Prince, Gregor Hutton, David Donachie, Gordon McDonald and Pooka. Picture on its way when the photographer gets back to me.

The plan was to have two groups playing in the afternoon, then have something to eat, and then again two groups playing in the evening. I polled everyone beforehand what they wanted to play, and put together a programme.

There will be AP threads for the different games (I hope, that was one of the tasks for the participants), so I won't delve into a detailed description here.

Joe Prince playtested his nearly finished Dragon vs. The Gun with four players in the kitchen, while I was running a Sorcerer & Sword/Charnel Gods session in the living room. Sorcerer didn't "ring" completely, though we had great scenes and meaty conflict from the get-go. I believe everyone enjoyed the Dragon/Gun game, as the group was still playing when we stopped for the dinner break. Pooka recorded the session.

After lots of homemade pizza, we delved into the evening session, with Gregor presenting Spione in the kitchen af Pooka leading on a game of Shock in the living room. Spione was not enjoyed by everyone, though I think there were both good and bad things about the session, while our Shock game was just - perfect? This was one of the darkest, deepest and most touching game experiences I've ever had, and to make a good session perfect we managed to finish all four story goals within the four hours of play. Every scene was so...fucking good, we couldn't believe it. Goosebumps all the way.

The first Nerdinburgh happened, and it was good. Thanks, everyone!

Per

Comments

• I heard about some of the stuff that happened in Shock, and it sounded as interesting as any PKD novel. Well done, you lot.

The Dragon vs The Gun was an interesting one. The system was a little overcomplicated. The setting was solid. Our story was interesting, though we didn't have a whole lot of character meatiness or dialogue. Definitely one I'll play again.

Spione didn't do it for me. The system didn't help me (or most of the group) produce a satisying narrative. I didn't have any sense of control over the story. The story we did produce was *fine*, but the system didn't have much to do with it. And at times, the system seemed to force us into melodrama.

BUT, Nerdinburgh itself was excellent. A great bunch of people, excellent food, pleasantly exhausting. Thanks to everyone.
  • While we are waiting for the first APs to appear, I have written about my prep for the Sorcerer & Sword demo I ran. David, Gregor, I hope you'll start a thread somewhere about the actual play experience.
  • Indeed, Nerdinburgh rocked mightily. I had an absolutely fantastic time, and it's all down to the brilliant array of players that attended and Per's excellent hosting and organizational skills. Hurrah!

I'm typing up a very detailed AP for Shock, but it might take me a day or two. :)
  • Can I sugest that the people who were hosting the individual games (some of them were GMless) start the AP threads and then everyone else can jump in?
  • Let me agree, in spades, that Nerdinburgh was fantastic. It had a wonderful location (though how Per is not driven mad by his Neighbor's aviary birds I don't know), great people, fantastic games and sublime food. Per does himself an injustice by just saying there were a few handmade pizzas, they were gorgeous, and the desserts were to die for.

I'd agree that Sorcerer didn't shine for me, though I am not sure that Charnel Gods is the best first experience to have. Some of the setting made things very odd, like the weird co-incidence of so many fell weapon users (who are meant to be very rare) all turning up in the same backwater village at the same time! I had issues with the dice mechanics when multiple non-opposing actions were involved, and wasn't sold on the very disparate story lines that the kicker seemed to encourage, but that might also be due to the game finishing halfway through due to time (and inexperience with the rules for the majority of players).

Shock was sublime. I can't praise it enough, though I'll try to do so on the AP thread Pooka has posted here
  • We have photographic evidence courtesy of Stuart and his new camera:

And these wonderful people are, from the left:
    Joe, Calum, Jennifer, Per, Gregor, Joe, Gordon, Pooka and David.
  • Posted By: Joe MurphySpione didn't do it for me. The system didn't help me (or most of the group) produce a satisying narrative. I didn't have any sense of control over the story. The story we did produce was *fine*, but the system didn't have much to do with it. And at times, the system seemed to force us into melodrama.
    I would be quite interested in seeing AP about this.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • I'll be writing up an AP (or at least the start of it, with my thoughts) later on today, Seth. I had some similar difficulties to a game of Dirty Secrets which has some similar structure.
  • Posted By: Joe MurphyI'll be writing up an AP (or at least the start of it, with my thoughts) later on today, Seth. I had some similar difficulties to a game of Dirty Secrets which has some similar structure.
    Oh, excellent.

Um, in the sense of being able to discuss that sort of game structure. Not happy that you struggled with either game. :-)

See, I'm secretly a Spione partisan, and you know that I'm all over Dirty Secrets, so hopefully this can be a helpful discussion to folks interested in those games.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • edited January 2008
    http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=25594.0

AP of Spione. On the Forge so Spione players will have more of a chance of bumping into it.
  • My AP report of The Dragon vs The Gun playtest is up. Pooka has also uploaded the splendid MP3s of the session.

[DvG] Nerdinburgh playtest
  • Sounds like a good con :) Mini-cons are the best, IMO.