OrcCon 2008 Rocked!

edited February 2008 in Meetups / Conventions
Just wanted to post that OrcCon was fantastic. I played in some amazing games and enjoyed them all, despite having laryngitis for basically the whole con. Special thanks to Denys and Paul for running another great west coast con! I'd post more details, but my brain was melted and the new one hasn't grown in yet.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Thanks, James.

We had a lot of players show up for games. While every game didn't go off, vast majority did.

Parking problems, the hotel's ridiculousness regarding the bed/frame placement and some other issues aside, the con went well very for most everyone. And overall con attendance was UP by nearly a third from last year's OrcCon!

On a personal note, I finally got to play Pendragon (played it once before with Greg Stafford as GM) -- CK was the GM here and the whole session was outstanding. Also, a great Victorian-horror game played on Monday morning that ended up feeling like Henry James/Mervyn Peake by way of Conan. Awesome.
  • edited February 2008
    OrcCon was, indeed, a blast. It was so much of a blast that I am still recovering (as is my wallet). Who needs food when you have games, right!? My highlights include: meetig the World Famous and Award Winning Paul Tevis (who is, by the way, a master salesman and the primary reason for my now meager wallet), playing John Wick's House of the Blooded game, playing in Colin's Spirit of the Century game, smoozing with all the Nerd SoCal folks (these folks know how to game and party until you drop like no others I have met; truly legendary sleep-ignoring abilities, especially the aforementioned Colin, who may not have slept the entire con), and talking to the legendary Steve Jackson.

Thanks Paul, Denys, and company for a great weekend! It was the most fun I've had at con ever. If we ever end up at the same bar at the same time, you can count on a drink on me.

Now I have to recover, and oh yeah, catching up on all that work I ignored.

Cheers,
    John

P.S. Cars getting lost was only a minor inconvenience :D.
  • My weekend: Two amazing games of The Upgrade!, a bunch of selling at the IPR booth (including the debut of Josh's excellent Sons of Liberty), and lots of hanging out with cool people. Not bad at all.
  • Tell us more about The Upgrade, Paul Tevis. How'd it go? Besides amazing.
  • edited February 2008
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarTell us more about The Upgrade, Paul Tevis. How'd it go? Besides amazing.
    Not that I'm Paul, but...I played in both games, as Erkki & Manauo (I think I'm misspelling it -- I Anglicized the names to Eric and Manuel). It was interesting to see different takes on the characters.

I think that playing in The Upgrade! both times was my third favorite thing about the con. It was the right crowd of folks, all of whom were interested in "this Scandinavian thing," so I think the games fired off wicked well. In both games, we only had three of the couples playing. In the first, we also had a co-host, which worked awesome. I'd be happy to unpack more of my thoughts on the games, though at the moment I'm still pretty exhausted from the con.
  • Yeah, I want to hear everything. Maybe start a thread. I played Mauno! What a cock.
  • Fan. Fucking. Tastic. Convention.

Not only were the games and the booth the awesome sauce that I've come to expect from these cons, but they were drizzled all over a crew of awesome people, some of whom flew in for the event. I'm really hoping that this is the beginning of a trend -- I'd love to see things snowball and start pulling in more people into our black hole of crazy-awesome gaming!
  • Josh, I do hope you have some photos of your demo group with tricorners and wigs!

Me wants piccieeees!
  • Me too!

A fantastic con. It was great to meet new people, meet people I'd met before, play new games, play newish games I'd never played before and prop up the IPR float with my singles. Now I need a new bookshelf.
  • I bought shiny!!!!

Sons of Liberty
    Contenders
    Sorcerer
    Zorceror of Zo
    Burning Wheel Monster Burner
    Dust Devils
    Blossoms are Falling

Luckily I'm home with Laryngitis, so I can roll around in all my game books cackling with glee. I'm just not sure how the family will react.
  • Not meaning to derail, but The Upgrade! refers to the Jeepform game/s that was/were going on, correct?
  • Correct, Mercutio :)
  • Give me time to downsample and upload, Renato!
  • Socially I was a bit of a non-entity this con and for that I apologize. I hope this becomes less and less the case as the year goes on.

The two games I feared would be problematic either in play or simply from lack of interest turned out to be big hits!

One Can Have Her is a surprisingly good game in play. I was a bit skeptical from the text. I look forward to playing it again. Check it out if you haven't.

Spione ALSO turned out well which is saying a lot for a game I consider to be socially dangerous. Thanks to everyone for letting me record it. Side Note: Eric Boyd is WAY too soft spoken for a guy who wrote a game about boastful adventurers. :)

My little 2 hour Sorcerer game failed to go off. That's the second con I've posted it and the second time it's gone bust. I wonder what fails to attract. Is it the single PC shared by the group? I stole that idea from a demo Ron once ran at GenCon.

The bigger disappointment was my Dirty Secrets game that didn't happen. I had a lot of people tell me they were interested but the six hour slot was prohibitive which is a risk I knew I was taking. The game is problematic because the Novella really is the best beginners game but just doesn't fit in four hours. A Short Story can fit in four hours but is creatively taxing because of the tight narrative space with which to work.

Over all I had a good time though.

Jesse
  • Posted By: Jesse
    The bigger disappointment was my Dirty Secrets game that didn't happen. I had a lot of people tell me they were interested but the six hour slot was prohibitive which is a risk I knew I was taking. The game is problematic because the Novella really is the best beginners game but just doesn't fit in four hours. A Short Story can fit in four hours but is creatively taxing because of the tight narrative space with which to work.
    Bummer. I was hoping to hear good news about this. Oh well.

And hey, I'd be interested in hearing that Spione recording...

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Posted By: renatoramJosh, I do hope you have some photos of your demo group with tricorners and wigs!

Me wants piccieeees!
    Clicky for more...
  • Posted By: Great Wolf
    And hey, I'd be interested in hearing that Spione recording...
    I have to finish censuring it first... then perhaps you can file the appropriate forms with the embassy... if you pass our vetting process perhaps we can arrange a discrete meeting at a cafe... after all we have your wife... what recording are you talking about anyway? ;)

Jesse
  • Posted By: Jesse
    My little 2 hour Sorcerer game failed to go off. That's the second con I've posted it and the second time it's gone bust. I wonder what fails to attract. Is it the single PC shared by the group? I stole that idea from a demo Ron once ran at GenCon.

The bigger disappointment was my Dirty Secrets game that didn't happen. ... six hour slot...
    They must have been back to back on Saturday? I didn't notice that, but if I had I would have considered it. I definitely would have played in a Sorcerer game with that premise, but I think I pretty much skipped over the irregular sized slots.
  • Posted By: Jessewhat recording are you talking about anyway? ;)
    Oh, sorry about that. I must have been mistaken.

*Leave the recording in the regular location. If you see the emergency signal, then get away as quickly as possible.*

Uh, yeah. No hidden meanings here.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • I also had a blast at OrcCon. The three games I ran - The Committee, Roanoke, and Shock: - all came off well, and the games of InSpectres, SotC, and Spione I played in all rocked. Paul and Denys, you guys did an awesome job organizing everything.

My Roanoke game ended up with 7 players, including two teenage girls. I was a little wary about that, but we kept it PG-13 and folks mentored both of them at the table very well. As someone with an infant daughter who I hope will be interested in role playing one day, it was nice to be pushed outside my comfort zone and find there was nothing but good on the other side.

You guys definitely got your hooks in me now. I hope to make the trip from Phoenix again.
  • I had an incredible time. I posted some short actual plays from this weekends games.

unWrittenContinuum.com

It's incredible how much better each Strategicon has gotten from the previous one, given how great it started out last February. I mean, really fucking amazing!
  • edited February 2008
    Three Four awesome moments from OrcCon:

1. Banishing a horde of ghostly soldiers of an ancient Aztec death god with my infectious laughter in The Committee for the Exploration of Mysteries.

2. Attaching a printing press to the back of a stolen horseless carriage so that every revolution of the wheels printed another pamphlet decrying the British government in Sons of Liberty. (The horseless carriage also had assorted blades and spikes attached to it, so I was printing propaganda and cutting a bloody swathe, chariot-style, through a redcoat regiment at the same time!)

3. My Teutonic knight-captain running a dragon through with himself, sword-first, as he fell at terminal velocity out of the sky in Mythender.

4. Hanging out at the penthouse bar for six solid hours, drinking good beer, chatting with neat people, and watching the lines of airplanes come in for a landing on either side.
  • Posted By: Albert A4. Hanging out at the penthouse bar for six solid hours, drinking good beer, chatting with neat people, and watching the lines of airplanes come in for a landing on either side.
    That was a tremendously good bar, made doubly so by the company.
  • edited February 2008
    Posted By: ptevisThat was a tremendously good bar, made doubly so by the company.
    Agreed.
    Posted By: Albert A3. My Teutonic knight-captain running a dragon throughwith himself, sword-first, as he fell at terminal velocity out of the sky in Mythender.
    That playtest and the following conversation was one of the highlights of the convention for me. I would say "the highlight," but there are some contenders vying for that spot:

* Playing in both Jeepform games (which I really should write about)

* The aforementioned conclave

* All the time spent in the bar with good friends

* Finally getting a wicked good introduction to InSpecters (thanks Vasco & Eric!)

* And, of course, my other Mythender playtest with Will & Morgan (who are wicked awesome troopers for showing up to a 10am game after we were up drinking & talking until 4am)
  • It was a really great con folks.... first time I signed up for an RPG (let alone more than one) at an LA con in over a decade. Den's Dark Heresy game was a fun throwback to simpler times. Colin's Spirit game remains a high point every time I play....its like the Story Game gateway drug....

I have to say, more than anything else, I really appreciate the community that is building around these cons. Good GMs, good Players, but more importantly, good People.

Kudos to Paul and Denys and all of the volunteers who made this thing sing.

Jaime
  • Despite that fact that this was my first time GMing at a con (three, count 'em, three events!) every single session was better than I could have hoped. This I fully attribute to the awesome folk I had the opportunity to game with this past weekend. You guys all rock; which makes me regret that I didn't have more time to hang out after hours. Driving back to the south bay each night was definitely a drag, and I resolve to grab a room for the next con.

Awesome moments:

* Ryan totally flirting with a female motorist out the side of his van while stuck in a traffic jam (InSpectres).
    * Alex's femme fatale 'freeing' a colleague from the grasp of a tentacled blob monster with automatic gunfire (InSpectres).
    * Terran dominating just about everybody with his wolf-spirit -- damn you Wolf-Bitch! (Wicked)
    * CK's ghost-queen possessing her preserved corpse and laying down the whopp-ass before being tragically defeated in the climactic battle. (Wicked)

Thanks again to Deny and Paul for organizing, and Josh for inviting me last year in the first place.

See you all next con!