Storygame Rocketship Empires 1936

edited February 2008 in Story Games
So I want to play this game:
http://www.rocketshipempires.com/
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2349

I want to play it hard. It's a systemless campaign setting of WW2 in space.

What system would you use?

Comments

• Starting a campaign next Thursday with Savage Worlds.

I'm thinking of running this at Gen Con Indy too.
  • edited February 2008
    DUDE. It's like Crimson Skies... in space! Very cool.

For system, I would use Danger Patrol (my game in development which has a very similar setting and style). But I'm the only person who has it right now. :) Not helpful, I know.

Savage is a great choice, I think. You could use the character creation system to make your ships, too, and then fight them on the battlemat (probably using the helping mechanic so the PC crew can do stuff that matters). Or do ship-to-ship as simple contests and use the mat only for person-scale stuff.

Something simmy/crunchy but lightweight feels right for this. Oh, duh. Spirit of the Century.

EDIT: If you want to really story it up, Shock:. Your shock is rocketships! That could be awesome.
  • edited February 2008
    Posted By: John HarperDUDE. It's like Crimson Skies... in space! Very cool.

For system, I would use Danger Patrol (my game in development which has a very similar setting and style). But I'm the only person who has it right now. :) Not helpful, I know.
    Except, you know, I live in Seattle... Let's do this at Go Play NW, if not sooner!
  • I'd love to play this game!

I'm going to be at game play NW.
  • edited March 2008
    May I humbly recommend Full Light, Full Steam?
  • John: So. Danger Patrol is still on your list? Will it ever see the light of day?
  • Yep, it sure will. I have finally (finally!) settled on a system. Once and for all, for reals this time. It's been playtested several times over the past year, and I'm happy with how it's going. A more complete version will show up at Go Play NW -- then more playtesting. If all goes well, I'll start putting a book together some time next year.
  • John: Is Danger Patrol planned for before or after Stranger Things?

Oh, and this setting looks really cool :)
  • Not sure yet, Warren. They'll both be playtested for quite a while, and whichever one is looking like it's ready to be a product will come out first. My plan is to do extensive alpha testing, then a very long cycle of public beta testing, before putting any books together for either one.
  • Wow, that does look badass.

Would it be pointless to suggest using a Star Wars system for this? Any version you like...
  • edited March 2008
    I've actually settled on Mutants and Masterminds - with Aspects and Fate Points replacing MnM's Complications and Hero Points. Chargen will also be like SOTC, with 5 phases & 1 Aspect per phase.

Other systems I considered:

Savage Worlds
    Spirit of the Century / Spirit of the Far Future / My own version of FATE
    Wushu
    Over the Edge
    Passages / Bullseye d20
    Cold City
    Serenity
    PDQ
    John Wilson's system for The Hive, His is the Hand & Search and Destroy 1km1kt.net
    A Dungeon Squad hack - I'm halfway though writing Rocket Squad.

Anyways I'm putting my space combat system and MnM starship conversions here.