[Conpulsion, Edinburgh, UK, March 22-23] Scotland's Premier Gaming Con, Who's Coming?

Conpulsion is a week-and-a-half away and a box of green Solipsist books has now arrived, and I think. Wow. It's soon.

So, who's going to Conpulsion in Edinburgh at Easter weekend (March 22-23)?

Guests are Vincent Baker (In a Wicked Age), Gareth Hanrahan (Mongoose's new Traveller), Jon Hodgson (Dust Devils cover, etc. artist), Andy Hepworth (Exalted, etc. artist).

The con has loads of roleplaying games, wargames and CCGs. For Indie games fans there will be an "Indie Games Track" and "Games on Demand". There will also be the Collective Endeavour stand and Stewart Wilson will be doing demos of Aeternal Legends too.

On Sunday there'll be a workshop/discussion on games design and publishing followed by the 3rd Annual "Johnnies" competition for 24-minute RPGs (this year featuring Art as a stimulus as well as words).

And while Malcolm Craig will be in New Zealand this won't stop him providing the heartbreaking, tiebreaking questions for the final round of the hotly contested Pub Quiz.

So, who's going to be there. It'll be great to put faces to posts.

Comments

• *raises hand*

I'll be there, Mr Hutton, Gregor Sir!

Neil
  • Me too Boss!

I need to start writing some Solipsist characters!
  • Me!

*excited*
  • Yes!

Graham
  • May wander in.
  • I'll be there.
  • Shaping up to be a grand con, from the attendees at least!
  • Definitely! I'm looking forward to running some games for kids, assuming we get kids. A Mechaton tournament (I just built some fascist jackbooted copmechs yesterday). Games On Demand. And I've invited two or three curious non-gamers to come along too.
  • I'll be there, running Dead of Night and, if there's time, Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium.

By the way, Gregor, what's parking like at the venue? Do I need to get there stupidly early to guarantee finding a spot?
  • Alas, I won't be able to make it this year. I was looking to attend in my capacity as RPGMP3.com's roving reporter, but instead I'll be at the UK Games Expo. Hope Conpulsion goes well for you all.
  • Hey Gregor - I looked at the schedule but didn't see any games I owned or would play. Can you give any more details about the "Indie Games Track" or "Games on Demand" or point me to where I can find out more?

Thanks,

Tony
  • Posted By: Scott DorwardI'll be there, running Dead of Night and, if there's time, Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium.

By the way, Gregor, what's parking like at the venue? Do I need to get there stupidly early to guarantee finding a spot?
    Unless things have changed drastically there is practically *no* parking at all. There used to be a car park next door, but it's been built on recently, and the next nearest car park is for university staff only. There is a bit of on-street parking about 5 minutes walk away but not a lot of that either. It's not a con I advise driving too
  • Posted By: Tony IrwinHey Gregor - I looked at the schedule but didn't see any games I owned or would play. Can you give any more details about the "Indie Games Track" or "Games on Demand" or point me to where I can find out more?

Thanks,

Tony
    The IGT will be run by members of the Collective Endeavor, expect to see Solipsist, Contenders, Duty and Honour, PTA, Mob Justice, Piledrivers and Powerbombs and a few others. The GOD has more variety, since it's on demand, I think you'll see Shock and more Contenders there at least, maybe IAWA, Pooka and Joe can give you more details of that.
  • Hey, Tony. The list includes the following (but will depend on which GMs are available for each slot):

Bliss Stage
    Breaking The Ice
    Burning Empires
    Contenders
    Covenant
    Dirty Secrets
    Dogs in the Vineyard
    Duty & Honor (test)
    Faerie's Tale
    Hot War (test)
    In a Wicked Age
    InSpectres
    Labyrinths & Lycanthropes (test)
    Lacuna
    Mob Justice
    Mountain Witch
    Mouse Guard (test)
    Piledrivers & Powerbombs
    Poison'd
    Polaris
    PTA
    Roach
    Shock
    Solipsist
    Sorcerer
    Swansong
    Tears in Rain (test) / Trollbabe
    TSOY
    The Princes Kingdom

So, no' bad. =)
  • Hey Joe, is that you running Mouse Guard as a Game on Demand as well, or are you just referring to the one on the main schedule?
  • Posted By: HituroUnless things have changed drastically there is practically *no* parking at all. There used to be a car park next door, but it's been built on recently, and the next nearest car park is for university staff only. There is a bit of on-street parking about 5 minutes walk away but not a lot of that either. It's not a con I advise driving too
    Oh dear. As I'll be coming in from Biggar, I don't think I'll have much choice. Thanks for the info, though.
  • Well I'd recommend thinking about either trying the Park and Ride (not sure how well that works on a Sunday), or the train (quite close to the con).

If neither of those appeal then you can park pay and display on George Square, which is just behind the con building, but you'll have to keep popping out to feed the meter. Similar on-street parking can be found in nearby streets with a bit of looking, but I can't think of a large carpark nearby
  • edited March 2008
    Note Joe listed the games in alphabetical order - that's how prepared we are.

I'll be there this year running Games on Demand, and have decided to add Burning Wheel to my games on the list as well.

I believe Joe will offer Mouse Guard on GoD as well as running it in the ordinary con schedule.
  • There's FAR too many games on that list that I want to play and then you go and add BW as well? My pimp hand is strong, Per, fear it....

Neil
    Preppin' like a madman!
  • OK, a few things to point people to:

The Programme has the Indie Games Track schedule in it, and Joe has the Games on Demand covered above.

The Programme also has Q&As with the artists, Vincent Baker and Gar Hanrahan, so worth a read on general principle).

The indie games of all flavours will be running in the Mezzanine area. There will also be Mechaton there in the evening and probably during the day (Roger, Jo and I had a fun game yesterday where I got smashed to a pulp by both Jo and Roger).

Do not fear on the parking front, but read carefully:

On the Sunday, there will be no problem as you can park at George Square or any of the roads nearby, really. Just park in a Pay & Display area as they don't charge on a Sunday.

On the Saturday either (i) park in a Pay & Display near the con and feed the meter (the street nearest is about £1.60 an hour though with a maximum of 4 hours, or (ii) park in a Pay & Display slightly further away that only charges on Mon-Fri (and therefore Saturday is free). I have linked to such a place here, there are a number of bays next to a really nice coffee shop and food place that are free on Saturday. I know, I used these very bays on Livingstone Place this last Saturday, for free.

Important: Do NOT park in a bay that says "Resident Pemits Only" (unless it has a Mon-Fri caveat).

Edinburgh Council has a whole site dedicated to parking with maps.
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks Gregor, nice looking programme!
  • That's a nice programme. Someone's done a great job of summarising my games.

I'm running four consecutive games of Gumshoe. On Saturday, it's Trail of Cthulhu (Purist Lovecraftian version), then Fear Itself, then Esoterrorists. I am deeply, deeply excited about Esoterrorists, because I just wrote the adventure.

On Sunday morning, it's Mutant City Blues.

It's a single storyline running through all four games. (You can play the games separately, too, of course). I'm really looking forward to it.

Graham
  • I think I'm in your Mutant City Blues one (I know I am in one, I *think* it's that one). I'd love to try them all, but sadly I am busy the rest of the time.
  • Oh, superb.

In Mutant City Blues, you get to clear up the mess that everyone else made in the previous three games.

Graham
  • Oh great ... that's going to be *so* easy ... not
  • Graham - think I'm pre-booked in your first game. I am going fuck things up so bad.

David - I'm amenable to persuasion by means of beer or women. Both together is best.
  • Posted By: Scott DorwardI'll be there, running Dead of Night and, if there's time, Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium.
    Hells yeah! Represent!

:D
  • I'm going to try to jump into ToC, if I'm there on time.
  • Best of luck to the Collective Endeavourists, Indie Games Trackers, Games On Demandites and especially Jo and Gregor. I'm sure the con will be great. I'm sad I won't be there this year.

Someone buy The G Man a JD and Coke for me, he deserves it.

Cheers
    Malc
  • Gregor: Thanks for the parking details. Much appreciated! I'll stop panicking now.

Rafael: Assuming I can get somewhere to do so, I'll run some Dread on the Sunday. I've packed my D12s in anticipation. The scenario got a thorough workout with my weekend group this Saturday gone and, assuming I can run it in three hours instead of eight, it should be a blast!
  • No problem Scott.

I got parked in a Pay & Display next to Victor Hugo's Deli, which is quite distinctive and should be easy to spot. (Note that Livingstone Place's residents spaces are open only to residents on a Saturday, but the Pay & Display bays _are_ free on a Saturday.) I'm told that there are other places around there where you can park with careful reading of the parking signs.

On the Sunday I'll park on Buccleuch Place I think (circled). Oh, and on that map there is a boxed grid next to Teviot Union (20) that says "Paid Parking". It lies, it is now a giant university building constructed in the last 9 months.

See you at the weekend!

Oh, I'll be taking the bus on Saturday so if anyone wants to buy me a drink it'll have to be then!

And the Pub Quiz will end with the esteemed Mr Craig's final round extravaganza!