Heroes of Story Games, I seek your wisdom! Last night we played a session of Tom Moldvay's Basic Dungeons & Dragons (the Red Box). It was most entertaining--except for the combat parts, which were about as fun as going to the dentist. (These particular NPC's, for various in-fiction reasons, didn't use very complicated tactics, but even with complex tactics it would still be a boring sub-system.)
What I Am Looking For
* Handle five dudes vs. five zombies in 10 minutes or less. Or five guys vs. twenty-five goblins in 15 minutes or less.
* Players have to make strategic gambits with incomplete information
* Strong reward for small group tactics
* Some "swashbuckling" type maneuvers so that there's unavoidably more color than "I swing/I miss"
* Not significantly re-writing monster stats or other rules
I could have sworn there was already a thread to this effect on Story Games, but I couldn't find it. (I have been looking at Red Box Hack, so there's no reason to point that out, though I'm not convinced it hits everything I'm looking for.)