Montsegur 1244: English edition on its way...

I've been working to translate my game Montsegur 1244 from Danish into English. I now have a complete front page to back page English draft worked up. I'd like very much for some of you native English (or US English:) speakers out there to take a look and weed out any danicisms.

Here is my elevator pitch in English for the game:

Montsegur 1244
A story game about burning for your belief

Do you renounce your heretic beliefs and do you wish to receive the forgiveness of the merciful Father?

In March 1244 this question was posed to several hundred Cathars. They had surrendered to the army that had besieged the castle of Montsegur for more than nine months. More than two hundred answered no, and thereby chose death by fire. Who were these people that chose to die for their belief?

In Montsegur 1244 the players collaborate to create a story about who these people were. Each player takes on the role of one of the besieged Cathars who will face the choice between life and faith.

A game for 3-6 players in 3-6 hours.

If you are up to the job, then give me a whisper.

Comments

• I've read this game and it's really good!

Creating a distributed network of native-language proofers to facilitate English translations is going to be really, really worthwhile. There is a ton of fascinating stuff in Danish alone.
  • How long is the manuscript? Both in terms of words and pages.
  • I'm potentially interested, but, like Guy, would like a better idea of the commitment, page and word-count wise. Also, can you send it as a Word doc that we can use Markup to put notes all over? What's the format you have in mind?
  • The version I did my first pass on was 7500 words. I think it'd be cool if Frederik or somebody set up a distributed proofing system, putting the text on a wiki perhaps where comments on style and usage would go on related talk pages. That way you could just run through a section of a document or even a single page if that's all the time you had.
  • Can I just say that I am THRILLED that this is being translated. Its one of my favourite times in history and when I heard about the game I was very excited by the concept. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Neil
  • I'll give it a go.

Graham
  • Great!

The text is 7922 words. Word or pdf. I'll think about the wiki, but perhaps it will be overkill this time.

I'll assign sections as I get in touch with you, so the task will be easier to overcome.
  • I was thinking about something more permanent, to accommodate multiple projects at once. There could be sections of the original document, in its native language, as well as translated pages for comment and correction. I know everyone I talked to in Denmark really dreaded the amount of work the initial translation involved, and distributing the whole process would ease that burden on both ends. I lack the skills to set this up but I'd sure like to see it.
  • Jason: Chinese roleplaying fans do this all the time, creating fan translations of commercial products. Let me see if I can track down some examples to show you...
  • The spanish translation of The Shadow of Yesterday was created this way in record time.
  • Harald, can you tell me about how they organized it? What tools did they use?
  • Jason, maybe you could begin a general discussion on organizing community translations in its own thread? Maybe non-Montsegur 1244 fans have input, this could be an interesting discussion.
  • edited April 2008
    Sure thing. Sorry, Frederik.