Secrets and Lies

Hi, my name is Grant and I just joined this forum. I've been listening to RPG podcasts ever since Gen Con 2007 and I've been motivated to try publishing my own game as a PDF.

It's called Secrets and Lies and I've got a sample up at http://www.plumbagolounge.com/plumbago/SecretsLiesDemo.pdf

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I'm also plannng to be at Origins this year; if anyone wants to get together for a game, I'll set up a thread on Conventions.

-Grant

Comments

• You know what would be neat? If every game was set on the same night, against a backdrop of the same non-player characters arriving and departing, with the difference in each game coming from the intervention of the PCs in the ordinary run of events. "Senator Blah Blah Blah is distracted by your character and forgets to make the call to his mistress, who shows up at the club blind drunk with a mad-on and a handgun three hours later..." I get that that's not what you're trying to do, but that's what the demo PDF by virtue of its presentation made me think of.

There's a bunch of folks going to Origins, as I understand. I'll be there, myself.
  • No, I had thought about that. I don't have a thread for every character, but it's definitely possible. Reminds me of "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina'.

Also glad that the PDF link is working.

-Grant
  • Grant, from a quick, non-analytical read, this looks really good. Slightly LARPy.

Do try and hook up with the indie games people at Origins. There are many people there who can support you in taking this game further. (So I gather. I mean, I'm in the UK, so I don't really know, but that's what I hear.)

Graham
  • Heya, Grant. I won't be at Origins. However, I do like the look of the game stuff in the PDF; I agree with Graham that it feels LARPy, and that's a total positive for me, if it plays with middling numbers of people.
  • Welcome, Grant! I like the presentation except for the body font choice - you might be interested to check out this thread: Fonts - They Make You A Better Person.
  • That's funny - I haven't been in a regular LARP for about 7 years. I play at conventions if I like the event.

I think it would be difficult to make into a LARP, having to carry around so many tokens for the draw. Allocation could be handled; I was at a Star Trek LARP at GenCon and they were using fuzzy velcro-like balls for stats.

Also, a friend who looked over the rules said that they would seem to encourage cooperation. I didn't intend that, so it will be interesting to see what happens as we play more.

-Grant