4E is coming out and having an adventuring party whose purpose is to go retrieve overdue books or GPLoS property in a recently dead wizard's tower, grab books in an unclaimed tomb or bid on books on a backwater prime material world is as good a reason as any.
I'm just looking to brainstorm color details here.
- Some books are in fact gates to other worlds.
- Fire spells in the library are prohibited.
- Physical, holy, psionic or arcane conflicts in the library are prohibited, enforced by the staff, who are ghosts.
- Books are shelved according to the plane in which they were written in an obsolete and complicated 9 alignment system that no one else uses anymore.
"Kas: Vecna's Nemesis, well, that is shelved between NE and LE, on the edge of the negative energy stacks and the positive energy stacks, as it was written by a Paladin who had studied the sword with Kas back in the day."
- It was founded by a liche, an elven arch-wizard and a yaun-ti demi-god when Sigil's first buildings were being erected.
- It has a fully built Tarrasque skeleton in the main mezzanine.