4e GSL: So, what kind of gaming product could someone make with it?

edited June 2008 in Story Games
I don't see how products are viable with it.

Modules and adventures without any mention or stat blocks of D&D monsters, nor page references to the MM.

I don't quite wrap my head around it enough to even see what kind of setting book someone could make out of it.

A Mutants & Masterminds or Spycraft type thing looks right out.

What could someone make with this thing?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    You could make:
    - completely new classes, powers, feats, skills, and rules that don't change how you level up.
    - a module or setting that uses all original NPCs and Monsters that doesn't have gore or excessive violence.
    - that is in book or PDF form.

Edit: but it would be wise not to create any of the above that would interfere with products that WotC is releasing as they could alter the license as to invalidate your product.
  • What I'd like to make is a new setting, which uses "string of encounters, then rest" as its basic structure but has a different meta-structure and purpose than dungeoneering (fighting for your nation's well-being, in this case, so if you claim that good growing land your nation's population can expand.)

I'm seeing if that's possible: I think it is. There's nothing against adding rules.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Wasn't there going to be annother GSL that let you change the system? So, basically this GSL is like the d20 liscense, in that it must be compatible with the core 4E books. And then there was going to be another GSL that worked more like the OGL, in that you could alter the core system. Was there an announcement that the second GSL is scrapped that I missed?
  • They will be releasing a modern (read "generic") version of the GSL at some point. No specific word of when. I don't expect it will let you alter the core system, but we'll see.
  • Judd, you could put in the statblocks of monsters you created yourself. Seems like, if you want to make a product for 4e, ironically, the first thing you should do is... not use any of the stuff from 4e, just invent all of it yourself.
  • Could you do like what Mayfair games did in the 80s/90s? Basically, create your own fantasy races, monsters, adventures and supplements, and simply don't say jack shit about it being compatible with Dungeons and Dragons (or perhaps, like Mayfair did, say, "This is a generic supplement... Compatible with the world's most popular fantasy game"...?
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanWhat I'd like to make is a new setting, which uses "string of encounters, then rest" as its basic structure but has a different meta-structure and purpose than dungeoneering (fighting for your nation's well-being, in this case, so if you claim that good growing land your nation's population can expand.)

I'm seeing if that's possible: I think it is. There's nothing against adding rules.

yrs--
    --Ben

That is a neat idea outside of 4E