Tell Us About Your Most Recent Awesome Gaming Experience

edited July 2008 in Story Games
I was listening to a bit from Sons of Kryos today on gaming awesome.
It got me to wondering about what good gaming was happening out there.
As for me, I'm running SOTC with my reformed group. Pretty standard pulp - stolen artifact, missing archaeologist, evil Fu Manchu dude. But to my group's credit,
they have run off in a completely unexpected direction. They keyed off a random mention of a talking gorilla and created The Gorilla Mafia. They are chasing down Gorilla gangsters in Peking in 1932. They are visiting Madame Ho's Pleasure Palace in search of simian clientele. It is so sweet. We rejoin things this Saturday. I can't wait.
tomg

Comments

• My Thursday night Dust Devils game came to a rousing conclusion a couple weeks ago. My challenge, as GM, for the grand finale was to figure out how to keep escalating and pounding on the characters' Devils 'til we came to a conflict they simply could/would not ignore/give in to/fold on. This required I take the game into a very, very heavy place -- the arch-villain directing his gang to have their way with the town's comely widow, with the rest of the town watching. That was the line I had to cross for the players/characters to take a stand.

Tough session, but awesome.

Also, one of the players decided he really didn't like his character (Devil: Greed) and decided the best way to go out was to be a greedy fuck and then die in some meaningless way. Can't imagine inflicting that kind of End on a player myself.

p.
  • Just ran the first session of a Godlike campaign. Pulled all my thoughts and techniques on running military-themed RPGs together for this and got a really good result. All the players were totally involved, totally invested, and the tension around the table as their characters struggled up Omaha beach on D-Day was amazing. Out of 9 PCs (3 per player), only 4 survived (2 died when the LCVP ramp dropped, 1 drowned going over the side, 1 blew up when the bangalore he was carrying got hit, and another got shot in the head going up the beach). The actions and reactions of the characters were very appropriate and awesome on several occasions - they all saved each others' lives more than once. I managed to hit all the right notes and it was everything I wanted a D-Day landing RPG session to be about. Next game is on Sunday!
  • Wow - did any players not have a character by the end? I suppose what'd be cool in a slight kink way is if you run out of characters, someone gives you one of theirs or something.
  • Mike,
    That sounds so cool. Can you give us some details about the game itself? I have friends who are Call of Duty nuts and I think I could use your game to introduce them to rpg's.
    Thanks.
    tomg
  • "Now you don't know me...

buuuut...

I know you know MY friend!

A biiiig pile of moooney :)

Now, I need you to take this vile...

and put it in this man's swimming pool...

Now, I can't tell you whyyyy!

Buuut...

there is a piiiiiile of moooney in it for you :)"

I love Shadowrun.

We've also been playing D&D 4E where Matt Wilson describes the world and NPC using primarily video game references!
  • A few weeks ago, in Nathan's alt history Mortal Coil game, my Navajo Confederate Pinkerton had tracked the missing souls stolen from Dev's Mexica Soul Finance Banker's temple/vault to a ring of Atlantean Crystal Smiths (including Shreyas' character) associated with Elizabeth's Maori Insomniac Dream Warrior. I had managed to work my way on board a vessel that was setting sail for Oz with all the missing souls on it, trapped in Atlantean crystals. And I was like, "Can I spend a token to say that, during the previous night, I killed all the other members of the crystal smith ring involved in working with these souls?" And everyone else was like, "Sure, I'm fine with that. How did you kill them?" And I said, "Hmm, I probably beheaded them with a macuahuitl."

And it was so.
  • So a super-zombie has Chico by the throat and up against the wall, Darth Vader style, strangling the life out of him. I have the Key of Fraternity for Chico, even though I'm an evangelical and Chico is, at best, a coward and a pimp. My grandmother is laying there and I have these few seconds while the super-zombie is occupied to get her out of there. The super-zombie's head is lined up with Chico's and I can't get a good angle, I've got #4 buckshot in the chamber and that's not going to be too great for Chico, and his bulging eyes are telling me "take the shot! Take the shot!" And I do.
  • I played XXXXtreme Street Luge with Ben, Ogre, and David last night. It was awesome. The Bullshit Scenes in particular.
  • edited July 2008
    Posted By: Jonathan Walton"Hmm, I probably beheaded them with amacuahuitl."
    I've always said that roleplaying needs more macuahuitls. Awesome.

So, I'm playing The Rustbelt. Machete Malcolm is raiding a drug-dealer's warehouse at night, with the help of his pal Bartobus the Magnificent and a hired brug (think ogre in modern clothes) named Teddy Boy. The windows of the warehouse are high, so to get in, Malcolm has Teddy Boy throw him and Bartobus through the window. As the guards come around to investigate, they find Teddy Boy with a wheelbarrow full of cinder blocks, grinning. Before they have time to react, Teddy Boy starts throwing the cinder blocks into their faces. Despite catching a ton of gunfire and losing a kneecap, Teddy Boy manages to kill all of the outside guards single-handedly.

Meanwhile, inside, Malcolm and Bartobus are trying to sneak their way to the psychotropic herbs they came to steal. A guard spots Malcolm, so Malcolm grabs a shard of broken glass from the window and cuts open the guy's femoral artery. Yeah. Then he swats the guard's shotgun out of his hand (Machete's Tough for 10 and he's got mitts like cast-iron skillets) and lets Bartobus finish him. As the guards inside come to investigate, Machete lifts a huge friggin' wooden crate and hurls it at two of them, hitting them both. One goes down unconscious, and the other gets a dislocated shoulder. Machete then grabs a broken board from the crate and uses it to break the guard's ankle, then he knocks him over a railing and onto the tines of a forklift. Ouch.

Later in the same game, Malcolm, Bartobus, and Teddy Boy have a showdown with a brujo at sunset. The location is an old, dilapidated suspension bridge over what is now a shallow, toxic trickle of a river. Some of the cables hang down loosely from the bridge, and the whole structure sways and creaks in the wind ominously. When the brujo appears, Teddy Boy immediately hurls a bowling ball at him, but the brujo intercepts mid-air with a kernel of corn, doubtless magical, and the bowling ball shatters. An attempt to hand-grenade the brujo is thwarted when he transforms into a crow and darts out of the blast radius. Suddenly, the bridge is lined with ten men, all with rifles. They open fire on Teddy Boy, who takes cover behind a tower shield made of corrugated sheet metal. As the bullets hit and annihilate the shield, they become cactus needles. Malcolm and Bartobus draw the fire while Teddy Boy makes it underneath the bridge. Gripping one of the dangling cables, he pulls on it with all the strength he has and more, swinging the bridge wildly. The men on the bridge lose their balance and fall of. As they are shattered upon the concrete below, they are suddenly saguaro cacti.
  • last weekend, Fred Hicks and I played the conjoined genius of red martian Tan-Gliil and Einstein set against the tyranny of a time traveling martian overlord aided by Mad Max Planck. Our backs (back?) against the wall and the 11th hour drawn nigh, I remember that my flying saucer has an open aspect of "Define an additional improvement once per session." Where upon i summon the saucer to transform itself into Robo-Heisenberg and begin destroying the flying palace. There was nothing better than whipping out the uncertainty principle when faced with certain doom.

It was great that my second session of SotC was with Fred. I'm afraid that Eins-Gliil may have taken the plot far afield from where we were supposed to go with it, but damn i had a good time. Science Will Out!!!
  • My group and I had out second playtest session of "The Magical Land of Yeld." The Friends, a group of children all under the age of 12, managed to take out a group of Whirr-Clicks, giant mechanical robots that vent a yellowish smog that covers the town, to save The Turnip Man (actually the Turnip King in disguise). One character managed to defeat two of the Whirr-Clicks with a mop, and another used a giant rail hammer to bash off the robots' armor. They also defeated a Cog (a human guard) named SteeToe who turned into a ghost next to the fountain in the center of town. He told the Friends if they could bring him the fist of the ClockWerk King, therefore freeing him from servitude, he would accompany the Friends on their next mission. Now with a clear goal and a new mentor, the Turnip King, the Friends have prepared to head into the Maw, a mountain pass to the west, to find the Gear Tower of the ClockWerk King and defeat him.

ME
  • Did IAWA and it was a slight shock to a traditional player that anyone could frame scenes, delete and rewrite stuff at the scene set-up until everyone was happy. Very liberating.
  • In the previous (2 sessions ago) session of L5R done SG-sty-lee, near the end of the session the Crab sorcerer and the Lion swordmaster (the Crab bushi was busy having hallucinations in the evil Shadowlands) were hunting for Hashizume Hiroko, an antagonist who they've been chasing for a while now, always two steps away. They get to Kyuuden Hida, the Crab capital, on a festival day. There's stands, carts, entertainment, contests... specifically, a calligraphy contest.

The sorcerer jumps in ("I'm so there"). He faces off against the 3-year champion, a 12-year-old Dragon girl named Shina.the Undefeated. The tension was high, the crowd silent, the pen and ink ready to be used... We ended just as the gong struck.

That's right. The cliffhanger was a calligraphy-battle.

In this week's session (Wednesday), the Crab broke free of the Shadowlands and is coming to grips with what happened over the past few weeks (it appears that the Shadowlands burst through the wall, but on the other hand it doesn't seem that they went anywhere or did anything of note, which is Mysterious).

The Crab sorcerer basically spent more than he could chew trying to beat the little girl at the calligraphy contest, but due to a critical roll against him (out of 5-keep-3, 2 of the dice came up 10s, which exploded), he lost by a hair. He was beaten by a little girl. It was cool, because we knew as players that by the "Skandha" system I rigged up, he was virtually guaranteed a win if he pushed just a little harder and put the group that much more in jeopardy. But he decided to leave it at that, and lost.

Through some pointed questions, roleplay, a little fishing, we were able to extract the Lion bushi's backstory: He went from a kind of a sub-character without a significant backstory, to someone who really came to life.

-Andy
  • My assassin in Dark Heresy got backhanded by a Chaos Space Marine, and I had to spend a Fate Point in order to not die.

But I did cut that bastard before he put my lights out. I cut him good.
  • Cool thread!

I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll happily share this again.

Last weekend at DexCon I played carry: a game about war, run by Nathan. We had a table full of great players. I was playing Rocky "Raven" Alongi (if you're not familiar with the game, there are pre-made characters whom you customize with burdens). Based on his description, he's tough to play as anything other than an asshole, so I figured I'd go along with that but keep that edge more subtle.

So, after a number of sometimes-hilarious and sometimes-tense squad scenes, we get to our big action scene. Rob Bohl is playing the Sargent, and he deals out various orders. I'm the only one who both disagrees and disobeys with the orders - I notice something he didn't - and send my little fire team on a different approach. We win overwhelmingly with the dice, which means victory for us, but is bad for the squad in the story. Rob has lots of points to spend, and he's delightfully evil, so he spends all the points killing off my entire fire team, but leaving Raven unscathed.

Then, having seen the entire thing from a distance, he calls Raven over to explain. Raven is shell-shocked and doesn't respond at first, but he eventually trudges over, refusing to meet the Sargent's eyes, and numbly holds out a handful of dog tags. Raven is at a breaking point. They yell a little bit but then Rob has the Sargent do something that surprises us all: he orders Raven to take control of a different fire team. It's humiliating at first, but it becomes Raven's saving grace.

A lot of other cool things happened that game, but this part was my favorite. I don't think I've felt the emotions run quite so deep since the legendary Jeepform: The Upgrade at Nerdly.
  • started a new game with new people and was pleasently surprised to find no mouth breather's, and lots of intelligent, involved faces at my gaming table. Ran them threw the first part of shadowfell keep in 4e and had a great time.
  • edited July 2008
    IAWA: The final scene of Chapter 2: the heir to the Sword of Marduk's Fury, beguiled by Grandfather Winter, wrestles with its previous owner -- he wishes to rule with the Sword; she wishes to be free of her obligations while retaining her privilege.

Meanwhile, Grandfather Winter annihilates the smoke-devil Baron Tar, puts his boy-wizard foe into sweet-dream hibernation, and freezes the entire world into utter quiet stillness.

Only the Sword is on the owe list.
  • edited July 2008
    In my SotC game last Saturday, one player announced that her character had just slept with her real-life boyfriend's character. He assented. (We are all pretty good friends, so this does not cross any lines for our group, just FYI)

Anyway, the boyfriend, for our past three games has been playing characters who basically refuse to give a damn about anyone. I think he's a bit shy on the in-game interpersonal stuff, (I have opinions as to why, but it doesn't matter) and so avoids dealing with it.

This moment happened in my head, because the PC's don't know about it yet. Let's just say, that in a few weeks in-game time, this character is going to have to make a pretty serious decision about how he wants to deal with those he finds himself attached to.
  • In a game of Grey Ranks, watching another player play an NPC priest who managed to convince his parishoner to confess to his sins of killing Germans, and to tell the priest the names of others who had similarly fallen from grace.

The bishop later turned out to be a Nazi collaborator.
  • In my first-time-GMing InSpectres game, my players' characters rigged up a sound-system on an 18-wheeler to blast the sounds of an exorcism litany towards a haunted municipal building, while they bludgeoned the remains of some horror with a consecrated axe handle.
  • My most recent session of Falconer Chronciles, a lone wolf game of Lacuna went something like this:

Began the game with a torture scene where a Spiderman kept asking Falconer if he was sent to Blue City by "Those Who Do Not Sleep". He woke up from the torture scene and still doesn't know if it was a flashback or if it happens whenever he goes to sleep now.

Falconer leads his first mission since he was promoted to senior agent last session. It's a cakewalk hunting down some teens accused of graffiti (all the big criminals are now gone in this storyline). He takes his team on the mission, but ditches it and takes a car outside the perimeter of Blue City and keeps driving. He leaves the rain and enters this gray mist for hours (or minutes, hared to tell in the void).

They see a golden city in the distance and one of the team members tells him they don't have enough gas to drive all the way there and back, so its a one way trip. Falconer says, "Go for it"

End of game
  • Bliss Stage:
    Role playing drunken cat girl in the intimacy building interlude. Touching and funny at the same time.

PTA:
    Making Takeshi Kitano get a crush on Drew Barrymore in the shopping for hats scene. She bought him a bowler hat! Wheee!
  • edited July 2008
    The ship's figurehead is filled with the Scourge of Vecna, so it has become an animated gargoyle-like angel statue, swinging its stony sword, flying around, and kicking the PCs asses. Bright Land, the Dragonborn paladin, decides to do something about it. He lashes the thing in mid-flight with ropes from a docking crane, trapping it. Then he beats on it mercilessly until it is forced to revert to its statuesque form to regenerate. That's when he shoves the whole docking crane off the dock, sending both it and the gargoyle to the ocean floor. The evil thing tries to push the massive weight off itself, but it cannot.

After the battle, Bright Land swims down to the figurehead and, using the Radiant powers of his god, burns every trace of the Scourge from the statue. Later, the townsfolk haul the thing back up and erect it as a symbol of triumph over the forces of evil, with the story of Bright Land's heroism engraved on its base.
  • Posted By: John HarperLater, the townsfolk haul the thing back up and erect it as a symbol of triumph over the forces of evil, with the story of Bright Land's heroism engraved on its base.
    Aw, man! We had to fight some powerful town leaders and browbeat the Council of Nine just to get them to grudgingly have a little faith in the Raven Queen and stop flouncing about after Vecna. Ingrates!
  • Dark Heresy last week we were staking out a mine on Spherus Secundus, waiting for the Mutant underground to appear and attack so we can catch them in a pincer movement. Duly they appear, and we spring our trap, only for my Assassin to spot a sniper on an even higher level, shooting the Mutant leader! And not any sniper, but Theodosius, the nemesis who escaped us no less than three times in the previous scenario!

I spent the whole session just chasing him, shooting at him, and then losing him in a big dark cavern. He walked right past me in a crowd, disguised as a mine-worker, and I didn't notice ... and I didn't care at all! :) I'm looking forward to my next encounter. There will be revenge!
  • Two weeks ago instead of running my weekly 50 Fathoms game, I started something inspired by one of Robin D. Laws Pantheon game.

Basically it's :

Nothing exists, what do you do ?

My three players created a universe and enjoyed it. There was some sillyness in it but we all kept vivid visions of what was described by everyone.

No dice, no hard rules, everything came up as we spoke.

One of those rare inspiring gaming moments.

That still feels good.
  • Filip, I hate you. I'm lucky if I can average an RPG session twice a month.
  • edited August 2008
    On planet Narcissus, we're under attack by killer starfish. Corporal Syphon is throwing grenades and killing them by the dozens until he gets dragged down and they swarm all over his armor, cracking it open with their needle-like teeth bits. "My legendary calm is gone!" Ryan, the player, laments. Syphon decides to pull the pins on all his grenades and shoot up with his combat drugs at the same time. What could go wrong?

His replacement, Trooper Seven, is a wiser man.
  • In my SotC game a couple hours ago, the Fuhrer of the Fourth Reich turns out to be married to a Jewish woman. Who is possessed by a demon. Who comes out while she is being interrogated. The players then blow up her house and shoot her in the head. That was sweet.

They don't yet know why she was a demon or anything, or really, why she was even married to a Nazi and why she had his kids, who, I just realized, are too old to fit the reason she gave for their marriage. That could be interesting.
    I made up most of this on the fly, so I'm kind of feeling proud of myself right now.
  • Last night, in our D&D game, the party was "confined to their rooms" by the dwarven brew-monks they are negotiating with. In order to get out and sneak around, the warforged fighter challenges the four dwarf guards to a drinking contest and wins after 6 kegs are emptied.
  • On planet Renoir, a gas giant, some troopers failed to make it from one alien platform to another after fighting their first group of giant flying sharks. Asked for 'what do you do to stop falling?', trooper Ortiz (I think?) went with "I commandeer a flying shark!" And he did!