Sweet Agatha coming to Gen Con

edited August 2008 in Story Games

Sweet Agatha will be available at the Design Matters booth (www.booth1940.com) @ Gen Con 2008.
Visit www.sweetagatha.com to learn more. Or feel free to ask questions here.

Comments

• i'm too lazy to click a link.
    tell me everything that is awesome about this now.
  • Posted By: fnord3125i'm too lazy to click a link.
    That's fair. I'll try to be direct and to the point.

This is a very low-investment, casual game. You start playing as soon as you pick it up and begin reading. To read the entire product from cover to cover takes about as long as reading a wordy comic book (say on the order of something Matt Fraction or Joss Whedon might whip up, those guys can get a little verbose). When you're done with all that you've got the first half of a very stylish mystery story, and all the bits and pieces of the conclusion. You can then either examine the pieces yourself and try to figure out the ending (there's no right answer, you'll find whatever you go out looking for), or you work with a friend and come up with a story together. This cooperation part takes roughly 45 min, has a simple structure, and is very much akin to brainstorming a movie script.

• You can play this with someone who's never played a role playing game.

• You can play this with someone who doesn't like or has no interest in role playing games.

• You can give this to someone who doesn't know what a role playing game is and they will understand what to do with it and enjoy it. It's that simple, it's that direct.

• You can play it alone on an airplane, or a bus, or in a cafe.

• You can play it again 3-4 times without ever repeating yourself (and you'll be able to download some extras that increase this replay-ability even more in the very near future)

It's sexy, mysterious, obtuse, stylish, and cheap (only $13).
  • I was incredibly intrigued by this last year (and by the way, you totally had the best marketing campaign for a game at Gen Con, what with the Missing posters plastered all over downtown Indy), even more so by the description of what the game is. I'll be dropping by the booth to take a look at this and quite probably buy it. The idea of the physical artifact and the interactive fiction element both appeal to me a lot. If I can use it to play with my non-gamer wife, it gets bonus brownie points, too!
  • Posted By: Kevin Allen JrPosted By: fnord3125i'm too lazy to click a link.
    That's fair.No it isn't. But I was joking/lying anyway. I clicked the link. Can't resist an attractive link!
    It looks interesting.

I have one question... is the reason you can play it with someone who has never played a role-playing game or who has no interest in role-playing games because it isn't actually a role-playing game?

Hmmm... that might be a bad way to say that. I don't want to bring up the old, unending "What is a role-playing game, really?" argument, cuz it's stupid. Sweet Agatha sounds really nifty and I love the idea of it, but ummm... well, let me ask the question this way: Would you describe it as a role-playing game?
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: Kevin Allen Jror you work with a friend and come up with a story together. This cooperation part takes roughly 45 min, has a simple structure, and is very much akin to brainstorming a movie script.
    The second person must be THERE or can be in another place and play by skype or phone or e-mail?

The second person has to be able to read the book? (i.e.: he/she must know english?)

Can It be played with more than one/two players?
  • edited August 2008
    Sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Ah...we need more one player games.

Gorgeous site and alluring game. It just draws you in. I love that you can just pick up and play, anywhere anytime. Can't wait to try it out.
  • Great questions, all.

• AWW HELL NO THIS AINT A ROLEPLAYIN' GAME! I'm calling Sweet Agatha collaborative interactive literature, I think that's more accurate. There's no real character play built-in, it's all plot.

• The second player doesn't NEED to be there, but i really think they should.

• The second person doesn't need to read the book, but they do need to speak english. There are elements that must be read by the second player but it is far less than the first player.

• I've played with three. It worked fine. You just have additional people all work together doing the job of what is normally the second player.
  • Posted By: Kevin Allen JrAWW HELL NO THIS AINT A ROLEPLAYIN' GAME! I'm calling Sweet Agatha collaborative interactive literature, I think that's more accurate.
    Fuck yeah, man! Scream it out loud, like you mean it!
    As an added bonus, not only is "collaborative interactive literature" more accurate it's also more snooty and intellectual-sounding! I'm totally going to have to get this and shove it in the hands of one of my favorite former professors and say, "Check this thing out, dude. It's collaborative interactive literature!" For my non English professor friends I'll just say, "Hey. This is a cool game. Let's play it."

But I was wrong about what the important question is. Whether or not it's a role-playing game? Who cares about that anymore? That was so this morning's issue.
    Now I just want to know whether I have to destroy something beautiful to save something I love or destroy something I love to save something beautiful. Because the spiffy picture at the top of this thread (cover art?) and the website are each telling me something different and this is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION.

another important question? what the hell is wrong with me today? i think i'm gonna go take a nap.
    in total seriousness, this sounds awesome. i'm excited by it.
  • Posted By: Kevin Allen Jr
    • The second person doesn't need to read the book, but they do need to speak english. There are elements that must be read by the second player but it is far less than the first player.
    They can be translated or has to be english? (for example because there is some play on words, like a code for example, that require these exact words)

(I am supposing that the second player has to tell something that the first player gave her/him, because if he doesn't need to read the book...)

I am asking because none of the persons I would like to play this with know (or can talk) English
  • I'm so looking forward to this. It's in-freakin-triguing.
  • there is a little bit of english reading that will help, but is not necessary if you can translate.