Revisiting Game Chef 2008

edited August 2008 in Story Games
I was wondering what was happening with this year's Game Chef entries.
We've heard from Jason on Dulse but what's up with all the others?
Report please.

Comments

• Given it never really wrapped up, I guess I'm not terribly surprised.

I've back-burnered Emergent() but I think there are some very groovy ideas buried in it. So, I'll probably cannibalize it for parts. But it got played a couple times and I met some great people through the event, so I'm satisfied with my GC experience.

p.
  • I guess the only thing left to do is try it again next year.

With the same premise where we can submit art.

>_>
  • I suspect that as usual almost every game from Game Chef will be left on the cutting-room floor with the other formal exercises and clever experiments.

• I fully intend to refine, playtest and complete my game, Specter of the Beast. Though I couldn't tell you how quickly I'm going to do those things.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Serpentine is now on my list of games I could develop after I give Bad Family a final kick in the pants / write it up for external playtests. The feedback I got from judges and fellow competitors was excellent, and has had me thinking for a couple of months now.

I think the big thing for Serpentine is to (a) run it as is and see how it plays, and (b) figure out what behaviours I actually want the game to create and encourage.
  • I decided to release Messiah at the Ashcan Front booth. Fortunately, I got a lot of amazing feedback and was able to get four different playtest groups to help me hammer out the mechanics.

Still, if it weren't being sold as an aschan I would never have thought about releasing it this early.
  • I've played a number of sessions of Escape From Tentacle City, and it always entertains. I've been revising the rules here and there. I'll have the latest version of it at Gencon for play if you know the super secret password. Jason's gone ahead and done some more art for it, in Low Rises style, but with tentacles.
  • Posted By: shreyasI suspect that as usual almost every game from Game Chef will be left on the cutting-room floor with the other formal exercises and clever experiments.
    What's the matter? Did you Cheerios spell "FAIL" this morning?
  • edited August 2008
    What's the matter? Did you Cheerios spell "FAIL" this morning?
    I'm pretty sure they spelled OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, as usual.
  • Cheerios are basically a big bowl of orgasmic onomatopoeia every morning.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure what's going to happen with my half-a-game. I really like, maybe, %80 of the ideas. Usually that's a good sign. But I've been pretty burnt out on the whole "writing games" thing of late.

I'm really hoping that the dreamer's genii and, what was the one, Awakening? The campaign with the sentient robots. Anyway, I'm really hoping that those games proceed.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • What I've realized that I really like about the Game Chef thing is that I (and yeah, even though I organize it and all I participate each year, or at least try to) am able to spit out a design, a nascent game, something that took hold over my mind and needed to be born.

And then it dies. Or remains untouched. I've got no interest in going back and making them published games, but I do have material that I can draw from later. But in any case, I had a few ideas, and I put them together. An act of creation. Flexing those muscles.

I don't like the idea that right afterwards we all have to think about eventually putting it in a glossy cover with a pricetag.
    Some pieces of art need to stay locked away in the attic. Picasso (bad example, because I hate most of his shit, but still) had a bunch of paintings. He also had a shitload of unpublished sketches stuffed away in his houses. Not everything needs to become a painting for display (or for sale).

I like the exercise of going through the motions of designing a complete game. If it has something to it, I may follow up on it. Or, alternately, I'll just retire it and move on.

-Andy
  • Posted By: AndyI don't like the idea that right afterwards we all have to think about eventually putting it in a glossy cover with a pricetag.
    Posted By: AndyI like the exercise of going through the motions of designing a complete game. If it has something to it, I may follow up on it. Or, alternately, I'll just retire it and move on.
    Well said, Andy.
  • I enjoyed GC, I wrote a game, got some feedback, played around with the design, but I don't think I have any real desire to do anything more with it.
  • I'd like to do something with 618, but Jane is being a total bitch about it.

I like Andy's comments. Also, I think that, after the intensity of Game Chef, it's a positive thing to step away from your game for a while.

Graham
  • Andy - I very much agree with you. I personally need that shove or challenge to get me going sometimes. I see GC and the other challenges as exactly what you said - flexing the muscles, an act of creation, and/or just fun.
    Jason - Thanks for the link.
    Graham - True. We need to step away some to get a new perspective or just get away from it for a while. I know it really helped stepping away from my current design for a month. When I got back to it new ideas started growing.
    The comments have been great. There were some neat sounding games this year and last and I just wanted to see what was happening to them, if any were still alive. It is good to see that some things are still going or can be cannibalize for something better at some point. The exercise worked. Maybe this will inspire someone too.
  • I'm hoping to playtest Prehistoric Ties in the next few weeks. I've tried not to mess with it before then.
  • Oerionaut is dead. Other projects instead.
  • Sexy Deadly represents the peak of a design trend I had going on: glossy, high-action, slightly gonzo, speed metal.

And now I've examined how that type of play is ultimately unfulfilling to me, exorcised my ACTION!!! demons, and moved on to designing new things which are far more awesome. Game Chef helped me do something more important than creating a game, it helped me realize what I want out of gaming.
  • Ocean is still under development and looking at a playtest this weekend.
  • edited August 2008
    Times agone, time again development was put on the shelf already during the competition itself, I was too busy playtesting another game. Still focusing on that game instead, might return to Tata sometime in the future, there might be a nice game in there somewhere.
  • I've tried going back through and editing and rewriting parts of House of Masks, but wind up just changing around a few words and not making any substantial difference. I think I need to actually do some palytesting before anything will happen with it.

It did get played at least once, but that was by a group in Italy, so I couldn't really see how it went.
  • Posted By: tj333Ocean is still under development and looking at a playtest this weekend.

I am glad about this
  • Sex/Magic requires a special group of people to playtest. Once I assemble that, I will test it then work up the courage to publish it.
  • I'm trying to dream up something that would work like a suggestion that I received that the drawing element in Blake Borrow end up having some kind of extra significance like in pictionary. No luck thinking it up. But we don't play too many games in the summer.
  • Apathy has been edited and revised a few times and then put out to pasture at 1km1kt

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/apathy-the-calling
  • Tiki Wars is done. I'm just happy to have made a game, and one that I like, unplaytested as it is. My mind is on another project entirely now.
  • I mean to play Killin' Kthuloo sometime. If it works out in play, I'll probably knock up a .pdf of it and put it up for free download.
  • For Mature Audiences was a "Looney Labs-style" approach to an RPG: take away all the common conventions. It wrote itself, basically, from that notion and from the "story" I saw in the art I chose. It was never played--of this I am sure--and, further, I'm not sure I want to play it as written. I doubt many folks would. I think it's just going to sit quietly on my portfolio site (in progress) as a freebie.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, I did play Killin' Kthuloo on Monday. And it works, more or less. It needs some streamlining, and a few tweaks, but the underlying game is sound.

Also, Warm Tea Beer? Not as bad as you'd think.
  • I know I owe Mr. Teapot some actual play reports and playtest data for House of Masks... As usual, I'm horribly late, and it's nobody's fault but mine.
  • The fact that the game is being played at all is awesomeness enough, man.
  • Well, I had posted a blurb and a link in this thread.
    or the direct link:
    http://ozbot.typepad.com/Get_Out_of_Infernopolis.pdf 24 pages, file size: 1.7 MB

But it's just something I made for fun, not profit, and as such I won't really be "marketing" it or trying to sell it or putting forth the effort I would need to really push for the amount of playtesting it needs. I mean, I think it's a fun game and has a real germ of an idea, so if there is playtesting and further comments, I would definitely incorporate them and continue to edit the game.
  • I playtested Prehistoric Ties yesterday. The game is obviously rough, but I think we came up with some ideas that will make it fun and the game that I want.
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanI'm really hoping that the dreamer's genii and, what was the one, Awakening? The campaign with the sentient robots. Anyway, I'm really hoping that those games proceed.
    Necromancy warning!

The Dreamer's Genii is going nowhere, I'm afraid (surprise!).

I'm happy with the game as an artifact of my design. I'm not so happy with it as a game that's meant to be played. It just doesn't have nerd appeal - no dragons, no chain-mail bikinis, no space ships, no sentient robots, no giant swords, no catwomen in skin-tight leather. It's a game about real life, and as fun as I imagine that could be to play out in the way TDG does it, the premise isn't catchy at all.

Frankly, it's hard to find playtesters (or even "playreaders"), and hard to find people whose contagious enthusiasm prompts me to continue.

I started working on a hack of TDG where the "Dreamer" was a stereotypical D&D fantasy world, where the "Genii" were avatars of the Gods, and where the players were the Gods themselves fighting amongst each other. It's more fun for me to think about, and easier to excite people about, but a lot of TDG is lost in translation. Particularly, I think the people who have voiced an interest in TDG (like Ben) would look at a fantasy-world mod and go "bleagh".

So I'm not sure where to go from here, if anywhere. I'm glad to have written it, though, and I'm definitely looking forward to next Game Chef!
  • May this very act of thread necromancy serve me as a reminder, so that something good come from it in the end...

Mr. Teapot, please, if you're reading this, please start hammering me weekly, by whatever means, until I translate some House of Masks playtest feedback into English and send it to you.
  • Posted By: lachekFrankly, it's hard to find playtesters (or even "playreaders"), and hard to find people whose contagious enthusiasm prompts me to continue.
    I hear ya, brother. For Mature Audiences is like that, times eleven. Few have the guts to try ti "for real" and, so, I don't know how it works with someone other than myself (imagining play).
  • David and Mikael: I'm happy to work with you on your games, if you're interested.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Best you could do for me is to just playtest as-is with at least four players. I never had a single PT, and I want to wait to integrate reader feedback (which I have noted in Google Docs, for myself) until I see if their points are upheld by an actual playtest group trying to play the rules as written.

Current, prettified (and corrected, if I noticed) version is here:
    For Mature Audiences

Thanks! (And, hey, this goes for everyone else... if you've got the guts to handle the truth!)
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanDavid and Mikael: I'm happy to work with you on your games, if you're interested.
    Very much appreciated, Ben. It's just that, if I can't make a game my friends will want to play with me, why bother?

If anyone else has friends who are interested in playing TDG, and would like to inherit continued development of the game from me, please let me know (you'd need to clear the art with Tomas separately, of course).
  • Posted By: rafuMr. Teapot, please, if you're reading this, please start hammering me weekly, by whatever means, until I translate some House of Masks playtest feedback into English and send it to you.
    If you could do that, I'd really appreciate it. I haven't bugged you about it, because I don't like to be a nuisance. But if you want to be bugged about it, I'll happily do so. I'm very interested to learn how the game worked, good or bad.
  • It looked for a while like I'd be able to get more artwork for Terribly Beautiful, but that fell through, as did playtests (it's a hard game to play for many people).

Since then, I haven't done any game design work. In fact, I haven't done anything creative at all, and I've been going nuts trying to find ways to fill the time I used to dedicate to my various projects. I am running a game design challenge in late November, if anyone's interested (Genre Redesign Madness).