What are you playing from your recent game buying haul?

edited August 2008 in Story Games
Yeah, what you bought doesn't mean shit. What are you playing...that is the stuff.

Got together with my buddies who are moving back to Ithaca and from a vaguely outlined Zeppelin City Modern imprint, made up DarkPages characters. I am going to post it up in the Forge Playtesting forum once I have a moment.

I am positive that me and my roommates will play some Zombie Cinema over dinner in the coming week. That is just destiny at this point.

The Magic Burner's necromancy rules will surely make their way into the Burning Skype Orcish Hatred game, probably next session.

How about you? What are you playing or planning on playing? Which games are burning a hole through your shelf?

Comments

• Posted By: JuddThe Magic Burner's necromancy rules
    Ooooh. Necromancy rules? Is Necromancy available to elves? When I first heard about BW, before I bought it, I had this vision of an ancient, decadent elven tree-city in serious decline whose citizens are served by the reanimated corpses of their dead ancestors ruled by a caste of necromancers. but then I got BW, and I said "awww, there's no easy way to give elves necromantic powers and i'm too lazy to invent it for myself."
  • edited August 2008
    Death Art is up for free download as a preview freebie on the Burning Wheel wiki. Go take a look for yourself, Brian.
  • Man i'm having a hard time not playing Empire of Dust right now. I can't wait to rally the troops, hopefully we'll see some action this weekend.
  • I AM PLAYING 3:16 TONIGHT.

The brigade will also have an embedded reporter from the Raleigh News and Observer, which will certainly be fun.
  • I know my friends will be running 3:16.

Terry wants to run Geiger Counter.

I want to try Blood Red Sands and Silence Keeps Me a Victim followed by many other games.
  • Well, I was not at GenCon, and I'll still play 3:16 this Sunday :)
  • Posted By: renatoramWell, I was not at GenCon, and I'll still play 3:16 this Sunday :)
    I too. What a coincidence... ;-)
  • edited August 2008
    I'll be playing Houses oh the Blooded until the next set of the Dresden Files alpha rules come out. It is really hot and gets better the more we play it.
  • Posted By: renatoramWell, I was not at GenCon, and I'll still play 3:16 this Sunday :)
    I changed the subject title to make it less Gen Concentric.
  • I'll be using my new gnome mini in next week's 4e game.
  • It's only been 2 days for me. :-) Tonight, my gaming group is getting together for a bi-annual dinner and talkies session, though.

But here's the thread over on RPGNet where I go through the stages of "mild interest" with HELLAS to "making it next on my list to play" for the NC regulars:
    http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=9263623&postcount=126

-Andy
  • 3:16 and How to Host a Dungeon are tip-top for me.

Zombie Cinema! Yay!!
  • edited August 2008
    I *WILL* play Zombie Cinema. I will I will I will. I'm going to call up some friends tonight and invite them over for some zombie chombie goodness some time this weekend.

And my husband is asking me to show him just what makes How To Host A Dungeon so awesome, so I'll be reading up on the rules for that in the next few days.

EDIT: Fixed a typo. ^_-
  • Polaris...I had never bought it and now I own it.
  • Posted By: commondialogPolaris...I had never bought it and now I own it.
    Speaking of which... we'll play it too, Saturday! yay for us!
  • Well, I was asked by my local compadres what we were playing that I got in my GenCon l00t haul. The answer is that we're trying Annalise out a week on Thursday (we have a geek-related Edinburgh Festival show this week: The Sword of Maximum Damage).

I've already started playing Sweet Agatha. I am The Reader. I pored over the book on my transatlantic flight and was trying to solidify in my head the questions that I wanted to ask, given what the text was saying to me. I just need to find somebody to be The Truth for me and we can tell the final 2/3rds of the mystery. What is 67? Why? Hz? kHz? And it goes from there.

I had a quick flick at some of the clues while inspecting the book generally to see what sort of things they were, but since I started reading the text from the top I have avoided reading any clues. Kevin's high-quality writing is at least as good as the photography and layout in that book -- which is high praise indeed. Full-colour, gloss. Amazing.
  • All of it.
  • Aw, Gregor's at Fringe? Man, I'm jealous.

I will console myself with reading through Blood Red Sands, which I picked up for Mark and don't have to give to him till he gets back from Hawaii. Then I'll see if I can cajole LAGames to dedicate the time to playtesting it.
  • I have a solo dungeon in "How To Host A Dungeon" at the beginning of the Age of Villainy and another that I was doing with my son at the Age of Monsters.

I haven't played "Zombie Cinema" yet, but it's only because Crystal is pregnant (surprise!) and therefore not really up for staying up to play games.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Posted By: wundergeeksomezombiechombie goodness
    I thought that it was more of a "jchombie" thing.

Eero was awesome.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Man, what am I playing right now? I have barely started recovering from the con, man...

(Oh, what's that? The sound of defeat?) Aw, hell nah! I'm about to bust up with some 3:16 on Sunday (hopefully) and some Zombie Cinema with some huge zombie movie fans.
  • Posted By: Great WolfPosted By: wundergeeksomezombiechombie goodness
    I thought that it was more of a "jchombie" thing.

Eero was awesome.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf

Seth enters as the only person I've seen so far properly noting that it's not quite "chombie." It's something slightly different. "jchmobie" appears to be correct.

Eero was indeed awesome.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinMan, what am I playing right now? I have barely started recovering from the con, man...

(Oh, what's that? The sound of defeat?) Aw, hell nah! I'm about to bust up with some 3:16 on Sunday (hopefully) and some Zombie Cinema with some huge zombie movie fans.
    I have full on not at all recovered from the con.

Not even a little bit.

3:16 on Sunday counts, without a doubt.
  • Dude, Eero and his brothers somehow got a ch, a j, and a d in that first consonant. Chjdzombie.

Awesome.
  • edited August 2008
    A few folks have commented that there's still a 'z' in there. We've been using "jzchombies" (or some variation thereof).

Also, I think that pronunciation implies devouring so much more than the soft s-start.
  • Actually, the excellent Ephediah Ravachol convinced me that what he was hearing was "dzombie". Like "Dzingis Khan". He also told me that all of these "chombie" folks are just plain wrong on this.

I wouldn't know myself, though, as apparently these fine differences in z-sounds are something my ear is not trained to hear. I just wonder at how all the courteous demoees of the game didn't laugh at me when I told them all about Chjdzombie Cinema.
  • It tickles me that all these hard-core story-gamers are going to play How to Host a Dungeon. You all rock.

Me, I'm taking a rest. No gaming for me until my regular group next Tuesday.
  • I'm pretty certain it's djombies, like Django, either Reinhardt or Fett. And I think it made the demo even more endearing.
  • Eero,

Zombie Cinema is just too amazing not to love. And most gamers are reasonably courteous people, in my experience.

I think part of my facination with djchzombie (or however we're spelling it these days) is because your English is so impeccable online that I was super surprised when you had an accent.
  • Posted By: wundergeekI think part of my facination with djchzombie (or however we're spelling it these days) is because your English is so impeccable online that I was super surprised when you had an accent.
    And my fascination with djchzqombie is that your accent is awesome. Plus, I loved the pitch about how the game is about putting the PCs in an untenable situation. Funny stuff!

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
    who wants to play Zombie Cinema right now
  • Well, I've learned my English purely by reading, so it's not that surprising. I imagine most other Finns are in similar circumstances, we don't have to speak the language most of the time, after all.

But, back on topic: I'm super-busy going through all the stuff that's come up during Gencon (I just got in yesterday), but when I get everything sorted out, I'm going to call together some gamers here in Helsinki and play new games. 3:16 and Poison'd are topping my list, mostly because they're fast and simple enough to play before the end of the month, when I need to get back north.

Also, if anybody has a suggestion for a modern dungeon crawling game that I could use with How to Host a Dungeon, that'd be great; I'd like to make a dungeon, but I want to have some sort of gaming context figured out before I go to it. D&D simply takes so much time that I couldn't get a game going before I already need to leave for the northern climes.

Actually, belay that. Tunnels & Trolls does this sort of thing perfectly, couldn't imagine how you'd improve on that for this sort of thing anyway. So it seems my list is 3:16, Poison'd and How to Host a Dungeon by the way of Tunnels & Trolls (the new edition of which my brother bought at Gencon). Should keep me busy for the rest of the month, unless I read something even more amazing soon; I'm still to look at Dictionary of Mu in detail, and there are other games here as well, so something might jump and bite me in the keister when I least expect it.
  • I'm sad that Misery Bubblegum exists only in Tony LB's head. Otherwise I would be playing it *right now*/
  • I want to play Sweet Agatha but I can't bring myself to cut my book. Not yet.
  • Posted By: wundergeekI'm sad that Misery Bubblegum exists only in Tony LB's head. Otherwise I would be playing it *right now*/
    Yes and yes and yes.
  • I've grabbed up a bunch of 3.0/5 Forgotten Realms stuff super cheap from Amazon (99 cents and such) and I'm using it in a Thursday night adventure through the City of the Spider Queen supah-module for high level asskickers. It's a hoot. I especially liked that the first time they took on a dragon and his minions, their perfect plan was a complete disaster and they almost got killed.

Second time through, they made a bunch of miscalculations, but had weakened the dragon enough and had some creative shit going on, so they won!
  • Eero, your accent is amazing and infectious. We're all saying "djombie" (or whatever) because we are jealous.

I am still crazy from the con, so I'm running 3:16 (again!) tonight. I figure I might as well try to go for an even 20 planets in a week.

Tony is planning to run a 3:16 campaign in the coming months, so I'll be in on that. After that... probably some Darkpages, Zombie Cinema, Geiger Counter, Blood Red Sands, and Mist-Robed Gate... for starters.
  • Posted By: Daniel M. PerezI want to play Sweet Agatha but I can't bring myself to cut my book. Not yet.
    Argh!! Cutting a book? THIS for me would be a game of "sadness and regrets"... =:-O
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, far more distracting than Eero's accent were his and his brother's amazing headwear. It made them instantly recognizable ANYwhere in the entire con.

Seriously though, I just chalked it up to a language difference. The noise in the dealer hall was a much bigger barrier to communication than any differences in pronunciation. In the brief period you took to demo Zombie Cinema, you effectively showed what it could do.

Also, the packaging? Brilliant. That, as much as anything else, sold me. I didn't even know it had the dice, pawns and all already inside it until after I bought it and got it up to my room, so I wasn't even aware how much of a package deal I was getting.

Uh, crap, getting off thread. I'm already raring to play 3:16 (yeah yeah, who isn't?) and Zombie Cinema would almost do as a party game and a ninja-introduction to roleplaying, so I'm keeping that in mind too. I've also already started putting out feelers to my fellow soldiers on Black Cadillacs, even though I absolutely refuse to even try to pitch it to my wife.
  • Posted By: John HarperEero, your accent is amazing and infectious. We're all saying "djombie" (or whatever) because we are jealous.
    Harper speaks nothing but TRUTH.

GM-less truth.
  • We just played Zombie Cinema. A cop, a biker, and a wannabee Black Panther played by Chris Rock.

Everyone died.

Total game time: 110 min

If we had more time, we probably would have played it again.

The only thing that will make this game even better is the alternate scenario boards.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Ahah, somebody played it! Most excellent. I'd ask questions about who sacrificed for whom and other such details, but that would irrevocably derail the thread. The three player game is very challenging, so I hope you had time to get in a full story before everybody dying awfully - there's not much time with three players at all. Surviving is even more unlikely/difficult, but I've made my peace with that - the game works on the assumption that you need to have a couple of deaths in the story no matter how many characters there are, so with few characters it's very likely that everybody will die.

We'll be getting some alternate boards after Jari comes back from the US; he can make some pretty pictures for me to put on the board. Meanwhile, you can of course make your own boards - just follow the model of the zombie board, and you'll be fine.
  • Eero,

I'll try to remember to start a thread tomorrow with some more details.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Our Zombie Cinema game lasted 15 minutes, tops. We also had 6 people. Super fun.
  • Posted By: Daniel M. PerezOur Zombie Cinema game lasted 15 minutes, tops. We also had 6 people. Super fun.
    Did you play an entire game in 15 minutes?
  • edited August 2008
    I want to play Darkpages out of Judd's recent game buying haul. I rarely buy games and typically not in big splurges.

Oh and Zombie Cinema. Also out of Judd's haul.
  • Posted By: jenskotDid you play an entire game in 15 minutes?
    Yeah. We got through three rather quick scenes, one picking up right after the previous and going into a conflict pretty quickly. The last two resulted in a tie, so the zombies ran after us like a stampede.
  • Crazy! When we played, we didn't roll any ties. Stupid dice! Next time!!!
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinPosted By: jenskotDid you play an entire game in 15 minutes?
    Yeah. We got through three rather quick scenes, one picking up right after the previous and going into a conflict pretty quickly. The last two resulted in a tie, so the zombies ran after us like a stampede.
    Yup, it was marvelous.
  • That's so unlikely that it's outright crazy. Never had that happen to myself. Must be something wrong with the dice, which I bought from UK to cut some costs.