[Montsegur 1244] What print quality to pick?

I got my hands on two print previews of Montsegur 1244 from lulu today: One B&W quality and one colour quality (both 60 pages, saddle stitched). The layout is greyscale, but I wanted to check out the difference in paper and print quality. B&W is not poor, but naturally colour is best. The downside is of course that the colour print is more expensive. However, if I go colour, the layout can be toned.

Which of the following three options is most attractive to you:

1. 60 pages full colour saddle stitched booklet. Handouts, cards and game board for download in colour or B&W for print. Price about 20 USD.

2. 60 pages B&W saddle stiched booklet. Handouts, cards and game board for download in B&W for print. Price about 12 USD.

3. 60 pages B&W pdf. Handouts, cards and game board for download in B&W for print. Price about 8 USD.

?

(Edited to clarify options)

Comments

• #2 for my money. I prefer an actual book, but you should consider offering a pdf as well since those can get some good sales.

Having played Montsegur: 1244, it just feels more like a B&W game to me. The lack of color goes well with the intense and downbeat subject matter.

But having said that, the muted color cover you have on your website looks damn good...
  • Dear Frederik,

If i understand you correctly, all cases are for pdf purchases through lulu. $10-12 is about the maximum i would consider for purchasing a pdf. It's a personal barrier for me.

With regards to some of the aesthetic decisions, whether or I chose a color or black and white pdf depends largely on how the original document was set up and or (as in your case) there are mechanical issues, such as cards and handouts to be printed. If the cover of Montsegur 1244 is any indicataion of the interior art then i would opt for a color version because there isn't great contrast between the elements and the artwork relies on chroma (hue/color) to separate. It would be a fairly small operation to take the artwork into photoshop or another image editing piece of software and optimizing it for grayscale printing (tone and tint).

Because i print from home, my choices would be based on not wanting to run my printer dry. So i am biased towards black and white. Because you are offering the pdf, is there a reason you can't offer both color and black and white collateral material (to allow each to print to their own needs)? Also, I'm not likely to have a pdf print out bound, so I would want a print document to be laid out for 8.5x11 printing and a viewable pdf to be optimized for on screen display (horizontal).

Certainly, others will offer their perspectives. This is just mine.

best,

Eric
  • Thanks.

To clarify: #1 and #2 are both print-on-demand from lulu, i.e. paper.

I consider doing the extras both in B&W and colour, and a pdf with limited graphics for easy print out in B&W as a later option. But my first priority now is to get a paper version out.

The colour version will of course be toned to fit the subject matter.
  • I'd go with number one, actually. Just because your game's subject matter is serious doesn't mean that you have to go with something dull. $20 is a good price for a color game that has 60 pages and other assorted bits. Making it "pretty" will increase the attractiveness.

That's my gut feeling anyway.
  • I agree with Anna, basically.

It depends on how beautiful the book is. How much will colour add to it? If the colour will make it into an extraordinarily beautiful book, then do colour. If it'll just spice it up a bit, then do black-and-white.

I'm surprised how low your price point is. I mean, many RPGs sell on Lulu for $15, black-and-white. I'd be tempted to put it up.

Graham
  • No chance of getting the game board etc in print?
  • A "deluxe version" would be dreamy - there is a small but real group of people who will pay and pay for luxurious extras. Put the whole thing in a set-up box for 30-40 USD and once word gets out about how cool the game is, they will sell.

Is there a compelling reason not to offer both #1 and #2? It's Lulu; multiple versions don't present a technical problem.
  • I agree with Jason. Having a cheaper "basic" version, and a more expensive "premium" version is great for sales, because you get the advantage of luring in a potential buyer with a low price, and then a percentage will decide they really do prefer the more expensive edition. We do this in video games a lot.

You might also consider a promotion where the first N (=25? =100?) people to pre-order/purchase/whatever the game will get the premium version for the cost of the basic. This gets a customer who might otherwise be perfectly content with the cheaper version to imagine themselves with the more expensive one. A percentage of customers who came too late will have up-sold themselves. Of course such a promotion requires that you be making a greater return from the more expensive edition, and also that you market the game widely enough that your early customers will exceed your N enough to turn those percentages into significant numbers.
  • Posted By: MatthijsNo chance of getting the game board etc in print?
    I had to drop the boxed design: It will be very expensive to produce and I will have to put up a significant amount of money up front have have storage space for boxes for a long time. Lulu really solves all of that except for the physical box with cards and game board.
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarPut the whole thing in a set-up box for 30-40 USD and once word gets out about how cool the game is, they will sell.
    With current exchange rate, producing a low number of high quality game in Europe and shipping to US would be more than that. 40 USD would perhaps cover production and shipping, but then there is the risk with me putting money in up front.
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarIs there a compelling reason not to offer both #1 and #2?
    One option equals one layout task. I'd rather go for #1 as a deluxe version and #3 as a budget version, available later.
  • Frederik, really, the price point on those books. Only $12 for black and white or $20 for colour? Why so low?

Graham
  • Posted By: Graham WFrederik, really, the price point on those books. Only $12 for black and white or $20 for colour? Why so low?
    • A fairly low number of pages means fairly low production cost
    • Some DIY work before you can play
    • USD 20 seems to be the level for a new game on IPR at the moment
    • I'm guessing wildly at what a fair price is - I want people to play the game, not to quit my day time job
  • edited September 2008
    The art you use on your website is recognizeable in part by its colour palette, so a colour option would be good.

That said, I'd be worrying about those cards. I'd be pretty angry (as in, demanding-a-refund angry) if I bought a game and then discovered it required that I make the cards for it. Cards are a pain to home-produce. Make them available for sale or include an alternate system that uses regular playing cards (perhaps a 1-page chart assigning each of your cards to a playing card, and giving all necessary text). I can't stress that enough.
  • Why not offer it both ways, like Sufficiently Advanced, which ranges from $20 B&W softcover to $60 color hardcover at Lulu?

Note that at those price points, it'll suffer the same problem as the Story Games Names Project, in that no store can afford to sell it, so you lose that channel. If you don't care about that, that's fine, but be mindful you're making that decision.
  • I have to say that I'm with Graham (madunkieg). I'd love to buy the game - but it has to look good! If I download a color map and print it out on my b/w laser printer, it looks homemade, and I don't want that. I want to pay more for a better-looking product.
  • A deluxe board game edition would be something like EUR 40 or USD 60. It also requires me to put money up front and handle storage and distribution myself.

I have found no ways to do cards as print-on-demand, so again this requires me to put money up front and handle storage and distribution myself.

This leaves me with the option to do a DIY budget priced B&W paper now, and keeping the option for a high end product open for later.