Where are the Hot War actual plays?

edited September 2008 in Story Games
I finally was able to lay my hands on a print copy of Hot War - it looks and feels fantastic, possible among the five best laid-out game books I've seen. The contents are a real joy to read, and Malcolm's enthusiasm for his subject matter shines through every sentence. He also tells me it's sold quite well, which by no means is a surprise.

Yet...I see no AP threads, no raving threads about the coolness and wangtabulousness of this game. Are there any, and if not, why?

Among my own "community" of gamers I certainly feel a reluctance towards games that require deeper involvement (time-wise and emotionally), whereas quick-starters like 3:16 and IaWA are much easier to get them to play. I think that's a bad bad thing (and a thing, I hasten to stress, which has NOTHING to do with the quality of said two games, so please don't go there.)

So, Hot War, where art thou?

Comments

• There are a couple referenced on Collective Endeavour.
  • Thanks, GB, I've seen those already. I mean REAL plays, besides playtests and single sessions at cons - APS of what Hot War is designed for: a campaign. With developing characters, storylines, the whole shebang.

I even searched at rpg.net's AP forum, but nothing there it seems.
  • I am also mystified by the lack of raving. Hot War is fantastic.

I guess we need to get our games going and start posting APs, huh?
  • It's hard for anything that isn't the game-de-jour to get APs on some forums, that's just a fact, I know Malcolm is confidant that we'll start seeing Hot War APs when 3:16 fever dies down (no offence Gregor! :)

And there are plenty of games that get played but never get APs. Its more to do with *who* plays than what they are playing I think
  • Hot War does require a deal more 'buy-in' than, for example, IAWA or 3:16. Setting up the game, going through the creation process, creating characters and playing through experience scenes take a coupe of hours, say the best part of a session. There's also an investment required in the setting: there is a level of detail and colour there that is more substantial than many 'story gamers' might be used to when compared to games such as (picking randomly from the shelf) Dogs or Covenant (now there is a game that also warrants more AP).

So, there might be more to 'digest' in Hot War in terms of set-up and colour. I'm hopeful that I'll see some more AP in the near future. I know that I'm starting a few sessions of the game tomorrow night with some friends in Edinburgh who have been wanting to play for ages. I'm excited by this, getting to see what people will make of it outside a playtest or con-game environment. I'm also writing up some thoughts on two markedly different HW games from Gen Con. One was pretty much what I expected in tone, the other was the first comedy game of Hot War I've ever been involved in!

Oh, and I think Davids comment about "when 3:16 dies down" is a second-hand mishearing of comments I might have made comparing the differences between the quick-start, easy-to-pick-up nature of 3:16 and the greater investment of time required to get a Hot War game going. Two different games, two different approaches (but both working excellently as campaign games! I want to play more so I can see if Corporal Strange can make officer and start influencing Brigade policy with his pacifistic ways!).

Cheers
    Malc
  • Posted By: Malcolm CraigOh, and I think Davids comment about "when 3:16 dies down" is a second-hand mishearing of comments I might have made comparing the differences between the quick-start, easy-to-pick-up nature of 3:16 and the greater investment of time required to get a Hot War game going.
    Sorry Malcom, I didn't mean to imply you'd said that about 3:16, that was entirely my spin. You just said you were sure we'd see Hot War APs after "a while", since there was less of a quick pick up and play than some games.
  • And hopefully we'll be continuing our Hot War game once you get back to Wellington, Malc!

• I guess we need to get our games going and start posting APs, huh?
    I guess :) That's certainly my intention.

Per
  • Posted By: Per Fischer
    I guess we need to get our games going and start posting APs, huh?
    I guess :) That's certainly my intention.

Per

Well, if nothing else, I've posted the game/character creation session of the latest game in Edinburgh!

Cheers
    Malcolm