[Githyanki Therapy] Something you are aching to play.

edited October 2008 in Story Games
Close your eyes, Judd. When you open them, the dumbest kerfluffle in the history of dumb-ass Story Games kerfluffles will be over. Got to your Githyanki place. Breathe in and out. Where is your Githyanki place, Judd?

Right now I am aching to GM some science fiction Sorcerer-style.

I just snagged a bunch of books from the library on the Solar System. Once the Burning Wheel game reaches a nice end-of-chapter moment, we'll play this as a palate cleanser.

And you?

What are you aching to play? Or something cool that is happening at your table is cool too.

When you close your eyes, where is your Githyanki place?

It can be a game, a setting, a period of history, anything that is tickling your geek right now and making you want to take that idea onto the table and see how it plays.

Comments

• You and the fucking Githyanki... God love you Judd...

I am aching to GM our 4E game. It is cooking with gas right now and I got a whole store of shit waiting to throw in the fire... Unfortunately with our schedules we get in an encounter or three a week at best... And I got so much left to go!
  • Sitting down to the first 2 hour session of a new daily 20 session IAWA series.
  • Posted By: tony dowlerSitting down to the first 2 hour session of a new daily 20 session IAWA series.
    Daily?!

Explain, please!
  • I'm aching to play some Poison'd
  • Last night I finally got to play an espionage action game of Solar System that I've been aching to run ever since GenCon. Almost everyone at the table was new to the system, so it took us a bit to settle in and create the abilities, secrets, keys and finally characters. But after that, with the help of the random encounter tables from the old James Bond RPG, we were off to a smashing start filled with intrigue, assassination, and a smattering of Parkour.
  • I'm dying for someone to teach me Burning Wheel. In fact, that's the only game I can think of that I'm more interested in playing than running.
  • I'm playing 44 tonight with my group. Can't wait.

SUCK ON THAT DUMB-ASS STORY GAMES!
  • I'm trying to put together a Bliss Stage game for some Boston locals, having felt the need for a game that really values 'downtime' and interactions between players that don't automatically push towards big conflicts. Reading the text of Bliss Stage for the first time (I playtested it, but have never gotten around to reading it or prepping it for play), I'm reminded of how good a writer Ben is (typos aside) and how much fun it was playtesting this thing (drama aside). My pilot's ANIMa looked like Ultraman and he got crucified to the Prudential Center, but the part I remember most was his somewhat unhealthy attachment to his ex-girlfriend and the two of them sitting around in the post-apocalyptic parking lot of Shaws (local corporate grocery store), drinking beer and mindlessly throwing empty bottles at stray packs of dogs.
  • Bliss Stage is one of those games, like With Great Power... and Spione that I have been meaning to play for ages and haven't gotten around to it.

Tis a shame, an aching shame.
  • Posted By: JuddPosted By: tony dowlerSitting down to the first 2 hour session of a new daily 20 session IAWA series.
    Daily?!

Explain, please!

Just a wish. I'd love to play 1-2 hours of IAWA over my lunch hour every day.
  • I have 2 games that I can't wait to play that are starting up in the next week -

CK's Traveler game using Sorcerer (http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=7761&page=1#Item_16), I am really stoked to see how our Merc Band fares as they travel the stars fighting other peoples wars for them, along with the whole theme of a soldier's life and the bonds of friendship that form.

And I am soon to be running a Burning Wheel Swords and Sorcery thief game, inspired by Lies of Locke Lamora, the Taltos Books, 2nd Season Rome, The Wire, The Shield, Gangs of NY and Farfd and Grey Mouser. We Burned Characters up last week and have a Sorcerer/Second Story Man on the run from Witch hunters, a Mack the Knife Whore Mongerer/Dualist trying to win back his best girl, an Ex-Soldier/Freebooter planning to heist a tribute caravan on route to the Sorcerer King and a Stringer Bell type planner looking to expand the street gang and then take over one of the thieves guild. I have been itching to run a game like this for like ever.

- C
  • Colin,

Holy fuck those games look awesome.

Please do post up some AP on those.

Puh-lease!

Judd
  • I'm really looking forward to my group's next D&D 4e session. The group will get propelled 100 years forward in time (to the 4e Forgotten Realms timeline), and my new dragonborn swordmage gets to tell them about the marvelous land of the future ("You're lucky twice over! You missed the horror and strife of the Spellplauge, and you got to live long enough to meet me!"), for good and for ill. ("So you're a paladin of... Tyr... Oh dear...")

I so want to run the "Liberty: The Final Maid Maiden" scenario from Maid RPG.

3:16. With Space Marine miniatures for the PCs.
  • This Burning Wheel Hyborea-esque game that my group talked about starting after we finished up our D&D4 campaign. We're supposed to do setting and character burning tomorrow, so I am pumped.
  • I just want to play Firefly or Blake's Seven.

Graham
  • I would love to play an American revolution game set in modern time or a prequel to Shadowrun.
  • I am dying to play A Flower For Mara.
  • Posted By: JuddColin,

Holy fuck those games look awesome.

Please do post up some AP on those.

Puh-lease!

Judd
    I am pretty sure CK will post some AP stuff on the Traveler Game, and I will...ahhh... "convince" one of my players for the BW game to write up some AP. :)
  • edited October 2008
    Posted By: Steerpike...fighting other peoples wars for them....
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

How long will it be before you jokers claim someone else's war for yourselves! You really don't see how story-driven you are, do you!

You poor saps....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
  • I want to play a mean nasty filthy orc. I'm aching to play one right now. I have it in my head to do something ridiculous about it, but I'll say more once the product is here.
  • Okay. Wait. I know there are a bunch of products where one can play orcs And I'm getting more and more the itch to do just that...

But Bret, which game are you talking about?
  • So, me and my group have been planning a new Cthulhu mythos game, and I just got Trail of Cthulhu on Thursday. I am fired up for cosmic nihilism!
  • Posted By: Christopher KubasikOkay. Wait. I know there are a bunch of products where one can play orcs And I'm getting more and more the itch to do just that...

But Bret, which game are you talking about?
    If there is interest with the group when we are finished with Traveler, I would love to run a Burning Wheel Orc game... ;)
  • I think I'm up for that.

I think my orc-ready quotient is quite high!
  • I want to run Shadowrun 1948, with german cyberware mixed into "Cast a Deadly Spell" asian magic, both brought back from WW II, set among the water wars of Los Angeles. But it's unlikely.
  • I'm so ready to play Supercrew that it's making me itch. I'm scratching the fuck out of my ankle right this minute.

• edited October 2008
    Baltimore is the land of "games I can get two people for and for which there's always a third who's interested but is a total downer at the table." So I'm stuck in planning/wishing stage on:

- Bliss Stage. No love for Bliss Stage 'round these parts.
    - Unsung, with UN peacekeepers.
    - Fantasy-Africa S&S using Solar System (especially now that it looks like volumes 3&4 of Imaro will never get published after all)
    - A Burning Empires game that doesn't get aborted just when it gets interesting.
    - Trail of Cthulhu, either using the "X-Files in Stalinist Russia" idea from the book, or on/around one of the pre-WWII vanguard kibbutzes.
    - A more-than-one-shot of Misspent Youth.

Plus, I want to get back to playing Adam Dray's 4E game so I can trash-talk the Ranger some more.
  • Posted By: SteerpikeI am pretty sure CK will post some AP stuff on the Traveler Game, and I will...ahhh... "convince" one of my players for the BW game to write up some AP. :)
    Oh for cripes sake! Just admit your going to force me to do it already! ;)
  • I really want to run Truth & Justice--either a Justice Society/Justice League/Avengers-type team or an X-Men/Doom Patrol-type game--for likeminded superheroes geeks. So much that it burns in my heart. Nothing dark, nothing gritty, no real world angst, no postmodernist irony. Just huge amounts of mad ideas & funky, surreal adventures, all Silver/Bronze Age goodness.
  • edited October 2008
    Posted By: Dave CleaverI'm aching to play some Poison'd
    Me too!
  • Thou. Art. But. A. Warrior.

Also, I cracked the fucking code on the back of Sweet Agatha last night.
  • I want to run... something. Not quite sure. Toss up between fantasy (but not d&d), scifi noir, or some spin on supers that I haven't done before. And I've done a lot of supers. I really want to run something, been ages... but I don't really have that clarion call idea for anything to pitch. System-wise at this point is almost unimportant. For me, the idea has to come first.

I want to play something meaty, that develops over time. I'm kinda tired of quick and one shots.

My scifi noir is probably the most formed idea. The PCs are investigators for a large insurance agency. They are part of a team and bureaucracy. Space travel is through Gates and a few ships have very expensive jump drives. Most adventures would be planet or space station bound for some time. Probably a system that is having a "gold rush" of high mineral mining.... lots of ships and equipment and personal needing insurance. No ftl communications, communication is by postal drone shot through Gates.... so once away from Home Office, quite a bit of flexibility and latitude is expected from the investigators. Small number of significant human colonys, maybe 20. Not sure I even want aliens. But if the players were into it, maybe 2 or 3 alien contact races have been made... definitely not Star Wars in number and variety.

The supers game I've always wanted to do is a team of mystic, magical derived types... but still existing in a superhero world with powerarmor characters and mutants and all the rest. But the domain to guard for this team is that of mystical, shadowy nature. Maybe even set "20 minutes" into the future.

As for fantasy, I ran a The Wire meets Eberron game. The PCs were merc enforcers and peace keepers in Sharn (Ebberron's largest city). We only played 4 or 5 games of it. I would kinda like to do the flip side... an assassin's guild, a legitimate assassin's guild. It is not illegal to contract their services, but there are rules. Be a very political game set in a city of high magics.
  • Posted By: StornAs for fantasy, I ran a The Wire meets Eberron game. The PCs were merc enforcers and peace keepers in Sharn (Ebberron's largest city). We only played 4 or 5 games of it. I would kinda like to do the flip side... an assassin's guild, a legitimate assassin's guild. It is not illegal to contract their services, but there are rules. Be a very political game set in a city of high magics.
    Legit assassin's guild...man.

Y'know, I think 4e might kind of rock that kind of game. Battle map goodness for the killing and skill challenges for the politicking.

But there are a few systems I could see working.
  • I want to sit down with three players and give the vanilla 21st century characters and tell them by the end of the session one of them will be dead and one of them will have changed forever.
    I want to play a game of interlocking temporal paradoxes where nothing is as it seems.
    I want one of the characters to have a herioc death. I want another to find a fob watch.
    At the end of the session after they have opened the fob watch I want them to realise that they are playing the first session of a Dr Who campaign
    And then I want the dead characters player to run a 'to be continued' which introduces the new character.

oooh yeah!
    Neil
  • Annalise. I really want to play Annalise. During October. We'll see.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Every time I try to answer this question a different game leaps violently to mind. Annalise and Grey Ranks are tops for game I've tasted but never truely satisfied the craving for. Burning Wheel and carry: a game about war are ones that I think too much about in a good way. But my ultimate? Jeepform. Loooove it. OMG - I just thought of Jeepforming carry - that would be *amazing.*
  • I'm running Warhammer (2nd edition) right now and we're having a stupid amount of fun. My relationship map is based on The Wire. One of the PCs is like a cross between Bodie and McNulty and it is wonderful. I cannot wait to bring in Omar.

I'm aching for session three. Aching!
  • Posted By: Neil GowI want to sit down with three players and give the vanilla 21st century characters and tell them by the end of the session one of them will be dead and one of them will have changed forever.
    I want to play a game of interlocking temporal paradoxes where nothing is as it seems.
    I want one of the characters to have a herioc death. I want another to find a fob watch.
    At the end of the session after they have opened the fob watch I want them to realise that they are playing the first session of a Dr Who campaign
    And then I want the dead characters player to run a 'to be continued' which introduces the new character.

oooh yeah!
    Neil
    *sniff*

I'm not good enough for you anymore...

For me, I want to go to Furnacecon in a couple of weeks and play a bunch of games I have never played before.
  • Group Three, touchyboy.

Neil
  • I'm looking forward to the next session of a game I've made (Archipelago), and to playtesting a game I'm making (Drømmernes Selskab).
  • I'm aching to run a Halloween time zombie game of Dread. I'm thinking of setting it in a call center... or maybe a teenage lock-in, can't decide which.

I second Judd's enthusiasm about the BW game Colin mentioned, sounds hawt.

Speaking of Judd... and the orc love in previous posts, I just want to play more Burning Wheel with my nasty bastard Orc King PC game that Judd runs... I want that!!!
  • I ache to continue playing the seven outstanding episodes from the PtA'd "ShadowRun: Brain Crash" game I did last weekend on a convention, and I severely ache to play in the World we created with Universalis (german notes here) at the same convention.
  • Posted By: Neil Gow

oooh yeah!
    Neil
    I am fascinated by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The game that won't let go of my head came courtesy of the Burning Wheel Magic Burner. Some magical catastrophe is looming on the horizon and whether by bad timing or fiendish design, all the master wizards cannot be found. Thus it is time for the apprentices to try and fill their master's shoes. I'm picturing Wizards of Earthsea by way of the D&D cartoon show and Mystery Men. I want the wises worked hard and heavy where any player can go, "I have heard tell of a mystical well deep within the Forests of Orm that will always show clearly the heart's desire. Perhaps that could aid us in our quest," and off we go on the magical mystery tour of the universe.
  • Oh yeah!

I also want to play Shooting the Moon. I really enjoyed Breaking the Ice, and I want to see how it's sibling does at the table.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Posted By: RichDPosted By: Neil Gow

oooh yeah!
    Neil
    I am fascinated by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The game that won't let go of my head came courtesy of the Burning Wheel Magic Burner. Some magical catastrophe is looming on the horizon and whether by bad timing or fiendish design, all the master wizards cannot be found. Thus it is time for the apprentices to try and fill their master's shoes. I'm picturing Wizards of Earthsea by way of the D&D cartoon show and Mystery Men. I want the wises worked hard and heavy where any player can go, "I have heard tell of a mystical well deep within the Forests of Orm that will always show clearly the heart's desire. Perhaps that could aid us in our quest," and off we go on the magical mystery tour of the universe.

I would play that. Love the idea of being a apprentice trying to fit into larger than life shoes. Getting to play with the Magic Burner. Although, I'm not a fan of the D&D cartoon show....
  • edited October 2008
    Ghost Dog. With all the shitty tristat rules. Just to see will it stand on its own today and how much story gaming experienced group can get from the concept. Besides my liking of the movie and all.
  • Burning Wheel, using the goodness of The Magic Burner.
    Heroquest (waiting for the next revised edition)
    Reign.
  • The Residuum must flow.

-Rob D.
  • Posted By: drunkencatgirlGhost Dog. With all the shitty tristat rules. Just to see will it stand on its own today and how much story gaming experienced group can get from the concept. Besides my liking of the movie and all.
    Post about it if you do. That's a great film, and I bought the game mostly as a guidebook to the movie. So I'm curious to hear how it goes.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • I'd like to play 3:16 ... but it seems to elude me constantly

I'd also like to play something visceral, full of demons and fallen angels and gritty modern day magic, but it's so not to my group's tastes