I'm invested in my group of players, and I'm trying to reconcile play styles. I know I should just abandon ship, and not try to hippy-game up their standard, traditional play, but I can't resist....
I'd like any thoughts on this mechanic.
I like 4e miniature combat fine.
I don't like skill checks, skill challenges or even 1v1 fights in 4e so much.
To fix that let me present the:
Quasi Old Schoolify 4e and then IAWA it system.
Get rid of skills.
Only use 4e rules in combat. (Skills are fine in combat).
Non-combat. Or 1v1 Combat use the following.
*Assign the IAWA as forms to your abilities (con, wis, dex, etc. +4 or above= 1d12, +3 =1d10 etc... 0 or below 1d4)
*Take some particular strengths that mirror feats, magic etc...
*Give your character a Campaign Power of 3 (when it reaches 0 your character is written out, dead or no longer of any import. Roll up a new Character).
*Use oracle to come up with some NPCs and Elements.
* Assign NPC and Non-Player Elements (NPE, eg, Storm, spell effects etc..) dice.
*give NPC's and NPE's best interests
*give NPC's and NPE's particular strengths if appropriate.
* Have your characters do things you think they can reasonably do.
*Assume that whatever the Players describe represents what their characters can do. That is the limit of the scope of their skills--their own judgment.
*If you feel there ought to be opposition or conflict and some NPC or NPE could and would necessarily conflict, then go to the dice.
*Pick two abilities that you think best applies to the conflict.
* roll out, and do the normal negotiations as per IAWA.
* The Stick to threaten with. Instead of just damaging two ability numbers, also damage Campaign Power. NPC's and NPE's are damaged normally.
*owe list. If you're on the top of the list at the end of the session you can heal Campaign power score by one. Only way to repair it. *Ability damage can heal normally over time, or restoration spells.
*if two ability scores reach 0 dice power, the character is incapacitated, dead or somehow written out. Roll up new character.
* If Campaign power reaches 0 that character's story is done. Describe the end of the character.