[Indistinguishable] --> [InSufficient] = InSpectres + Sufficiently Advanced

edited November 2008 in Story Games
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

After reading InSpectres and Sufficiently Advanced, I thought the games had some interesting parallels. Here's a rough sketch of a (tongue in cheek) mashup of the two games:

Indistinguishable InSufficient! :)

(I take no credit for this cool game setting. That credit goes to Colin Fredericks, author of Sufficiently Advanced.)

WHAT DO THE CHARACTERS DO?

In the far, far, far future, wealth has no meaning in a universe with replicators and wormholes. Ideas are the only real currency. To protect valuable intellectual property, an extra-governmental Patent Office was created. The Patent Office is actually run Transcendental AIs which send themselves encrypted messages from the future. As a Patent Office agent, you must traipse across the universe investigating possible patent violations. But future Future Shock means Patent Office agents' best efforts are insufficient to control sufficiently advanced technology.

(Is there such a thing as an ethical patent violation? How far will you go to protect someone else's intellectual property? Are the Transcendental AIs' motives benevolent or sinister?)

Think Transhuman Patent Office Dogs in the Post-Singularity Vineyard.

PATENT INSPECTORS:

* Name
* Background or previous profession
* Talent? (1 bonus die for skill rolls)
* Twist (Cool) dice start at 0 with a maximum of 3

Distribute 9 skill dice:
* Academics --> Cognitech: Intellect, creativity, memory (or Stringtech: Physical damage and resistance to it?)
* Athletics --> Biotech: Health, flexibility, strength, longevity
* Technology --> Nanotech: Precision and perception
* Contact --> Metatech: Charisma, empathy, presence

* Confessionals --> Personal Log or private messages sent home.

THE PATENT OFFICE (FRANCHISE):

Distribute 5-10 Transcendental (Franchise) dice:
* Neural Mesh (Library Card) dice augments Cognitech (Academics) rolls
* Biofeedback Enhancements (Gym Card) dice augments Biotech (Athletics) rolls
* Infosphere (Credit Card) dice augments Nanotech (Technology) rolls
* Patent Office (The Bank) dice augments any skill roll or alleviate Stress

ALIEN (WEIRD) PATENT INSPECTORS:

* Only 1 Alien (Weird) agent per game
* No Talent
* Distribute 10 skill dice (0 <= skill <= 10)
* Twist (Cool) dice = leftover Skill dice. No maximum!
* Must spend 1 Twist (Cool) die to use Alien (Weird) powers.
* Cannot augment Alien (Weird) Powers with Transcendental (Franchise) dice.
* Do not earn Transcendental (Franchise) dice from Stress Rolls.

Briefing Generator: <strike>(What's really going on?) (What's the problem to be investigated?)
http://suffadv.wikidot.com/briefing

Situation Generator: (What's the problem to be investigated?) (What's really going on?)
http://suffadv.wikidot.com/situation

Comments

• See, now I have to get a copy of InSpectres. Though I think you might have the Situation and Briefing generators reversed.

--Colin
  • oh! "InSufficient" is a much better name (and more appropriate for the tone of InSpectres) than "Indistiquishable".

Any suggestions for better inter-game skill mappings? Or Franchise Card gear? For example, InfoSpace seems more like a Contacts boost than a Technology boost.

My inspiration was Ben Robbin's InSpace InSpectres game. I was trying to imagine other flavors of sci-fi, from science-fantasy to post-Singularity hard SF. :)
  • What do you do again?
  • edited November 2008
    Posted By: Jared A. SorensenWhat do you do again?
    oops. I forgot Rule #1 of game design: what do the players actually do?

(I take no credit for this cool game setting. That credit goes to Colin Fredericks, author of Sufficiently Advanced.)

WHAT DO THE CHARACTERS DO?

In the far, far, far future, wealth has no meaning in a universe with replicators and wormholes. Ideas are the only real currency. To protect valuable intellectual property, an extra-governmental Patent Office was created. The Patent Office is actually run Transcendental AIs which send themselves encrypted messages from the future. As a Patent Office agent, you must traipse across the universe investigating possible patent violations. But future Future Shock means Patent Office agents' best efforts are insufficient to control sufficiently advanced technology.

(Is there such a thing as an ethical patent violation? How far will you go to protect someone else's intellectual property? Are the Transcendental AIs' motives benevolent or sinister?)

Think Transhuman Patent Office Dogs in the Post-Singularity Vineyard.
  • Think Transhuman Patent Office Dogs in the Post-Singularity Vineyard.
    No words, Chris. No words.
  • Next game: My Life with the Transcendental AIs.