"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
After reading InSpectres
and Sufficiently Advanced
, I thought the games had some interesting parallels. Here's a rough sketch of a (tongue in cheek) mashup of the two games: Indistinguishable InSufficient!
(I take no credit for this cool game setting. That credit goes to Colin Fredericks, author of Sufficiently Advanced
WHAT DO THE CHARACTERS DO?
In the far, far, far future, wealth has no meaning in a universe with replicators and wormholes. Ideas are the only real currency. To protect valuable intellectual property, an extra-governmental Patent Office was created. The Patent Office is actually run Transcendental AIs which send themselves encrypted messages from the future. As a Patent Office agent, you must traipse across the universe investigating possible patent violations. But future Future Shock means Patent Office agents' best efforts are insufficient
to control sufficiently advanced technology.
(Is there such a thing as an ethical patent violation? How far will you go to protect someone else's intellectual property? Are the Transcendental AIs' motives benevolent or sinister?)
Think Transhuman Patent Office Dogs in the Post-Singularity Vineyard.
* Background or previous profession
* Talent? (1 bonus die for skill rolls)
* Twist (Cool) dice start at 0 with a maximum of 3
Distribute 9 skill dice:
* Academics --> Cognitech: Intellect, creativity, memory (or Stringtech: Physical damage and resistance to it?)
* Athletics --> Biotech: Health, flexibility, strength, longevity
* Technology --> Nanotech: Precision and perception
* Contact --> Metatech: Charisma, empathy, presence
* Confessionals --> Personal Log or private messages sent home.
THE PATENT OFFICE (FRANCHISE):
Distribute 5-10 Transcendental (Franchise) dice:
* Neural Mesh (Library Card) dice augments Cognitech (Academics) rolls
* Biofeedback Enhancements (Gym Card) dice augments Biotech (Athletics) rolls
* Infosphere (Credit Card) dice augments Nanotech (Technology) rolls
* Patent Office (The Bank) dice augments any skill roll or alleviate Stress
ALIEN (WEIRD) PATENT INSPECTORS:
* Only 1 Alien (Weird) agent per game
* No Talent
* Distribute 10 skill dice (0 <= skill <= 10)
* Twist (Cool) dice = leftover Skill dice. No maximum!
* Must spend 1 Twist (Cool) die to use Alien (Weird) powers.
* Cannot augment Alien (Weird) Powers with Transcendental (Franchise) dice.
* Do not earn Transcendental (Franchise) dice from Stress Rolls.
Briefing Generator: <strike>(What's really
going on?) (What's the problem to be investigated?)http://suffadv.wikidot.com/briefing
Situation Generator: (What's the problem to be investigated?)