Indie Games Explosion at Dreamation 2009

Hey, all!

It's time to start putting together the Indie Games Explosion at Dreamation 2009! What do you want to run? What do you want to play? What kind of fun are you bringing to the Garden State and what kind of fun are you hoping to find there?

For those unfamiliar, Dreamation is a great games convention in Morristown, NJ from February 19-22, 2009. This will be the fifth consecutive year that many of the best and brightest of indie games enthusiasts congregate there for the Indie Games Explosion, a weekend-long track of games, parties, and roundtables. Come and join us!

We're trying something different, registration-wise, this year. Kat has put together the Indie Games Explosion Wiki where you can enter all the cool info about your games. We're hoping that this will promote enthusiasm about each others' events, as well as allow people make changes and to coordinate their schedules BEFORE the event schedule is set. Hopefully we'll avoid some of the classic GM's regret: "I wanted to play in your game, but I didn't know that you scheduled it the same time as my game!"

REMEMBER: Time slots you request are just that: A REQUEST. Double Exposure does their best to give everyone the time slots they want, but there's a lot of events in addition to the IGE going on, and only a limited amount of space.

You don't need to use the wiki if you don't want to. If you want to do things over e-mail, you can e-mail event listings, as well. Use this Gmail account: indiegamesexplosion att gmail dott com

Deadline for event submission is Sunday, JANUARY 4, 2009. Please do NOT submit your events directly to Double Exposure. Put them on the wiki or e-mail them. Kat and I will double-check that everything is in order and submit them to convention management.

If you GM at least three events over the course of the convention, you'll be qualified for a free GM badge.

I've made a second post with all the info we need for each game. The personal info at the top should NOT go on the wiki where the whole world can find it! E-mail personal info to this Gmail account: indiegamesexplosion att gmail dott com and we'll take care of matching it with your event info.

Double Exposure has also generously made available some limited hotel room "crash space." Conditions are often crowded, so be aware. If you're interested in securing space in the crash space, please e-mail me privately at the address above.

It's less than 3 months until Dreamation and I, for one, can't wait!

Comments

• INFORMATION NEEDED FOR EACH EVENT:
    Name:
    eMail:
    Mailing Address:
    Phone:

Event Title:
    Home Page:
    Do you have a specific eMail address where players can ask questions prior to the convention?:
    Type of Game:

What specific System the game will be run in (including version if applicable)?

Length of game: (usually 4 hrs for most RPGs)

Preferred time slot:
    THU 8PM
    THU Midnight
    FRI 9AM
    FRI 2PM
    FRI 8PM
    FRI Midnight
    SAT 9AM
    SAT 2PM
    SAT 8PM
    SAT Midnight
    SUN 9AM
    SUN 2PM
    FRI 8PM
    FRI Midnight

If you're running multi-round tournament style, LET ME KNOW!

Minimum & Maximum number of players:
    Tell us about player responsibilities (choose one):
    * All Materials for this game are provided by the GM
    *All Materials for this game are offered, but players can bring their own
    *All players are required to bring their own Materials
    How well do players need to know the game system? (choose one)
    *Beginners ONLY
    *Beginners Welcome, rules taught if necessary
    *Basic Knowledge of the game system is necessary
    *Players should have thorough knowledge of the game system, including advanced strategies
    Please choose an attitude rating for this game:
    *Very Serious
    *Serious
    *Fun
    *Silly
    *Very Silly
    Please choose an age rating for this game:
    *Young Audiences ONLY
    *Suitable for All Ages
    *Under 18, Parental Clearance Necessary
    *18 and Older ONLY
    Any additional GMs besides you?:
    Is this game part of an ongoing campaign?

Whether it is a stand-alone game or part of an ongoing campaign, how many times have you run it before?

If it has been run before, please briefly describe where and when:

Will this event require more than a single table? If so, please describe.
  • Michael and others:

For those of us who haven't been to Dreamation before, is running games through IGE the way to go for most things we might want to play / organize? Is there a GOD equivalent or a fair number of pick up games that just spontaneously happen when a bunch of indie-leaning folks are standing around? I'm asking because every convention is different in this regard. Are there a bunch of open tables where people can just run things or throw down sign-up sheets for games they want to play without having to go through the hassle of registering for games and what not? Does the Dreamation registration system really make all of that easier? Does IGE make sense for playtesting things? I realize there may be personal choices too, in some regards, but I'm trying to get a sense of the spirit of the convention and how different activities typically take place.
  • I've seen people try to do GOD type things there before but to my memory they usually don't go off. There are plenty of pickup games, though.

I ran playtests through IGE and it really worked fine. Really, the main purpose of IGE in my opinion is to tell people "we're part of those kinds of games." I know that I personally will no longer consider registering for something at Dreamation or DexCon if it's not IGE.
  • I think the con is small enough that GOD isn't necessary. There's a whole lot of social interaction that happens naturally. Plus, people who would be interested in that kind of thing are likely to congregate at the indie booth/s.

I've already signed up to run to sessions of Shock: If last year is any indication, it will be really great to have some folks on hand to also facilitate. Michael, I just put "Indie Games Explosion" in the "organization" field. Vinnie knows who I am and that's gone over fine in the past. If you need the record or something, I can forward you my receipt email or something.

I think the Playcollective might be having an organized (read: thrown together) presence, too.

• Let me know when you are running Shock: and I will keep that slot open to help facilitate. I'd love to do another Group Shock: type thing. That was keen.
  • 8:00 Friday and Saturday nights.

Yeah, that was really neat. I learned some things about the kind of person who signs up to play Shock: too.

• Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman8:00 Friday and Saturday nights.Yeah, that was really neat. I learned some things about the kind of person who signs up to play Shock: too.
    Cool, I will be there for the Saturday night Shock: shindig, then.
  • Rock it like Herbie Hancock.

• Hi,

I'd like to run some games and since I normally hang out with the IGE crowd it'd be fun to submit games through that, but most of the games I'm thinking of running are "Old Skool" games (Red Box D&D, Traveller, etc.). I know that there's a fair percentage of IGEers out there who enjoy tinkering with old rulesets, but I don't know if it strays too far from what IGE is "about". If it's cool, I'd like to submit through that, and if it's bogus, I'll go the long way around.

later
    Tom
  • Just a friendly reminder, the Deadline - January 4th - is about 2 weeks off now, and the wiki looks pretty empty. I know I still need to get my stuff entered, but I also wanted to bump this thread to the top so it might get some more attention.

Jeff
  • I am going to try to get my games in today.

Thanks for the reminder, Jeff.
  • Thanks for the reminder. I'm scrambling to figure out when I can be there and what I can run.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm going to go fill out the wiki right now, but just a quick question: should I not register through the DExposure website until after Michael or Kat has submitted my games? Because I was going to, but then it says that you need a special code to register as a GM in order to not pay.

ETA: Posted! Running my game, called Showdown, Mouse Guard, and Committee for the Exploration of Mysteries.

Matt
  • Awesome! I'm psyched that you're gonna be there, Matt!

• Just registered. SO psyched!
  • So...is anyone planning on running a Jeepform (or similar) scenario at Dreamation?
  • edited December 2008
    Posted By: EarthenForgeSo...is anyone planning on running a Jeepform (or similar) scenario at Dreamation?
    Yes! Tom Russell and I are plan to run The Upgrade.

I'm also going to run two Steal Away Jordans (NOT Jeepform). One is the "movie version" where you throw history out the window and just play for rebellions, violence, and love. Premade characters are all actors we know.

The other one will be set in Ghana, and the "Masters" are the Africans about to sell you to the Portuguese. Working on the descriptions and stuff when I wake up tomorrow after work.
  • I'm considering running a session of Criminal Element there again this year, as well as Ashcanning a copy of the game. But with Jason running Fiasco I'm not sure if there's enough room at the show for two different heist movie games. What do you guys think?
  • Along with helping Julia run The Upgrade, I'm also running two sessions of Houses of the Blooded.
  • Posted By: MPOSullivanI'm considering running a session of Criminal Element there again this year, as well as Ashcanning a copy of the game. But with Jason running Fiasco I'm not sure if there's enough room at the show for two different heist movie games. What do you guys think?
    There's room. My first Dreamation (05) had Capes and With Great Power.
  • Posted By: MPOSullivanBut with Jason running Fiasco I'm not sure if there's enough room at the show for two different heist movie games. What do you guys think?
    I'll play yours if you play mine. Plus, Fiasco is more "I think I just set my sister-in-law's meth stash on fire" than Ocean's Eleven.
  • I'm running a Final Girl/Escape from Tentacle City double feature and something else to be decided. Probably Capes because the deadline is close and I don't have a lot of time to come up with something.
  • Posted By: Jason Morningstar
    I'll play yours if you play mine. Plus, Fiasco is more "I think I just set my sister-in-law's meth stash on fire" than Ocean's Eleven.
    I'll take you up on that offer. I'm in. (And thanks for offering Jason. You don't have to play, but it'd be great to have you at the table if you're interested.)

Running Criminal Element, and possibly one other game to be determined. Anyone have any requests? Something they'd like to see at the convention but hasn't come up on the list yet?
  • I have been looking forward to playing Criminal Element! it better be there.
  • Seriously man, Criminal Element has me fired up!
  • edited January 2009
    I've submitted a Capes game to run as well. I love comics about bad guys fighting bad guys, so I'm running The Devil's Own, a game where supernatural antiheroes and villains team up to stop the Biblical Apocalypse.
  • Like the Midnight Sons in Siege of Darkness? Count me in.
  • Crap, I keep forgetting to ask for days off. MUST ASK! No, DEMAND!

Maybe I can ask in demanding manner.
  • I will be putting my events in the wiki tonight.

Sorry it is so last minute.

Cannot wait for this con.
  • Boom! This is what I'm running at Dreamation 2009:

GAME: Geiger Counter (Beta)
    TITLE: Exit Strategy

DESCRIPTION: Your spaceship crash landed on an unknown planet. All you have to do is survive until help arrives. A single-session cooperative survival horror RPG in the mode of "Alien" and "Pitch Black."

PLAYERS: 4-5.
    SLOT: Saturday Afternoon.
    RATED: R (over 18).

---

GAME: The Best of Murderland
    TITLE: 6 and 30 Blackbirds

DESCRIPTION: Murderland was an Oct 2008 design competition to create short RPGs that could be played in a hour, based around the theme of "ravens." Thirty six games were submitted. Come play 2-4 of the best Murderland games, back to back.

PLAYERS: 3-4.
    SLOT: Friday Evening.
    RATED: R (over 18).

---

GAME: Mist-Robed Gate
    TITLE: Step Up and Dance

DESCRIPTION: A motley group of kids from the local public high school has to get their act together and challenge their cross-town rivals for the State Dance Championship. Yes, it's every dance movie ever.

PLAYERS: 5-7.
    SLOT: Sunday Morning.
    RATED: PG-13 movie, but needs over 18 players.
  • I'm going to run an Empire of Dust game. I've emailed it the authorities. I'm very excited for dreamation, i've been looking forward to it all year.
  • Looks like a-more-demanding-than-expected holiday season have gotten the better of Kat and my schedule-discipline. We're extending the deadline until Wednesday, January 7 for all events to be in to us. For all those who've sent questions, we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
  • Is registration for playing still going through the DoubleExposure email like last year or does one register through IGE?

Thanks!
    - Kevin
  • edited January 2009
    I'm running a bunch of playtests of Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, in which young travelers fly to distant worlds and get into all kinds of trouble. It's somewhere between the Avatar: the Last Airbender, the Little Prince and Stand by Me.

Preferred time slots (Whichever are available):
    THU 8PM
    FRI 2PM
    FRI 8PM
    SAT 9AM
    SAT 2PM

3-6 Players

Ryan Macklin's editing the playtest draft for me and a handful of volunteers have agreed to make some pregen characters. Should be a fun time!

Check out the Pilgrims of the Flying Temple Facebook page for more info about the game and the Do blog for updates on the current development.
  • I'm running a Verge playtest. I basically set this up as a self-deadline for getting some stuff done on it.

Even when playtests have gone badly in the past, players have had fun. ;)
  • My events are up.

I cannot wait.
  • Are we not doing some sort of seminar on saturday this year? I thought it was ... I dunno ... tradition.

If it would be helping to perpetuate tradition, I'd gladly do a seminar on "RPG Fundamentals." It'd be a bit of a trick to get things across in a way that won't put people totally on the defensive, but I could use the practice!
  • Badam.

I'm feeling good about this year.
  • Does anybody know about the regular schedule, outside of IGE?

I know Frederik Jensen is listing three sessions of Montsegur 1244 through the regular system, and I really, really want to encourage people to play his game. It's extraordinary, and fuses the Danish scenario tradition with some bastard love child of carry, The Mountain Witch, and The Roach. It's a seriously intense, beautiful, eye-opening game. It doesn't end until somebody is burned alive.
  • Posted By: TonyLBIf it would be helping to perpetuate tradition, I'd gladly do a seminar on "RPG Fundamentals." It'd be a bit of a trick to get things across in a way that won't put people totally on the defensive, but I could use the practice!

Isn't that the whole point? To get up in peoples' grills?
  • Posted By: Jared A. SorensenIsn't that the whole point? To get up in peoples' grills?
    Nah. People don't listen when you're in their grills. They respond, but they don't absorb.
  • At 2008's Dreamation and DexCon, I remember the roundtable coming together at 1PM Sunday. At DexCon, it wasn't advertised at all, and consisted of Fred working out a room arrangement with event staff at the last minute.

Jason, Montsegur 1244 sounds cool. What's "the Danish scenario tradition"?

Also, I second Kevin F.'s question about registration...
  • Posted By: TonyLBPosted By: Jared A. SorensenIsn't that the whole point? To get up in peoples' grills?
    Nah. People don't listen when you're in their grills. They respond, but they don't absorb.

4 years doing seminars and I'm going to disagree with that.
  • edited January 2009
    Here's a Montsegur AP thread, Here's Frederik's site. We should ask him or Pedyo to explain what they do - basically, they run complete and original games at conventions in competition alongside what we'd consider scenarios for existing games, all with a really different approach toward commerce and distribution.
  • I vote for a seminar "How to play roleplaying games correctly."

But I still want us to have the design roundtable.
  • Only if you subtitle it ": How to avoid BadWrongFun"
  • Hi there, yes I will bring Montsegur 1244 for play and sale.

"The Danish scenario tradition" grew out of writing modules/scenarios for system games (Call, DnD) in the early 90ies that at some point dropped the system and became a stand alone game, written down for a group of other people to play, designed for one session with 6-7 players. Traditionally, roles are prewritten and a strong GM guides the play, but GM-less games have been around since the mid-90ies. The style of play is probably not unique to DK, but the early focus on the written scenario probably is.

Montsegur 1244 takes the one session, intense game with a tight setup and adds story telling as a shared player responsibility. Inspired by board games, it uses visual game aids to keep track of play.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm not going to be at Dreamation because of a scheduling conflict and have had to cancel my events, which is a bummer because I want to game with you guys, but maybe Dexcon will work out.

And I understand completely if you guys decide to just cancel Dreamation altogether.
  • Dreamation canceled, due to lack of Bret!

Does anybody know how/when we sign up for individual games? I want to sign up for individual games.
  • Dude, I didn't even know Frederik had the game for sale, or I would have bought it already.