A Holiday Miracle: Cafe Game Exchange Is in Full Effect

It's here! It's finally here!

The site is up (www.cafegameexchange.com). The books are stickered. And the first three cafes in the Cafe Game Exchange have been stocked.

I'm so excited, about the only word I can use for it is stoked. Now everyone of you in the New York area are obligated to check these coffee shops out. And those of you who aren't have to take immediate vacation time and get your fine asses down here.

For those of you who have donated games, contact me and I'll give you access to your individual game pages soon so you can alter them as you please. What's up there now is what we were able to cull from the Internet, and may not be exactly what you want. All I ask is that you leave the list of what cafés your game can be found in as is.

The immediate goal now is just to get the rest of the games into cafés, and I expect that to be only a matter of weeks. After that, we can see what else can be done in the way of events or perhaps some interesting essays from contributors on the blog.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Woo-hoo! It was fun visiting the cafes. 'Snice has a delicious brie-pear panini that I sampled. And I want to go back and peruse all of Think coffee's community library further. Ozzies was the first one we brought them to, and they were a great place to start. They have several areas where art and charitable projects are on display, and one of the workers asked to take a look at the games since he knew folks who had written board games. I'm excited to spread the word and find more cafes to bring the books to!
  • Most good.
  • This is more than awesome. I wish I could donate the No Press Anthology (of which I have no more copies) or Fastlane, but I'm not in a position to do either one of those right now.
  • Very cool! Let me know when you want to start up operations on the West Coast.
  • Posted By: noclueVery cool! Let me know when you want to start up operations on the West Coast.
    I've enough games to place in six more cafes here in NYC. After that, I'll be all ears for proposals on how to make this nationwide, or even global if folks are game. I'd like to try to do it all from the same website, partially just to keep track of how it is all working and partially because I have billions of these gorgeous stickers leftover.

• Wow, congradulations good sir, that is awesome. The idea of a RPG book library is something friends and I have tossed around forwever, but you've put concept into action. I live in Davis, CA and once you're ready to start expanding I'd love to be part of the west coast front.

Sean
  • Thanks for doing this!

Bill
  • This is really cool, Eppy. I wish I were close enough to easily check this out now.

Maybe some day.
  • So now that you've launched ... can I contribute a game now? :)

You said I should wait till you were up and running.
  • We should do some out our way too, Rob. Though there would be less traffic than in the big city. But Cafes Koko and Evolution would be good spots, don't you think?
  • Most definitely. Some of the downtown Noho places would be good too.
  • Posted By: Robert BohlThis is really cool, Eppy. I wish I were close enough to easily check this out now.

Maybe some day.
    The ironic shame in all this is that it was while I was enjoying a cup of coffee with you at a cafe when all this came to me.
  • Aaaaaah, arbitrary credit. There's the stuff.
  • edited December 2008
    For noclue, Sean, Emily, Rob and everyone else looking to do this in your area, let's get the discussion started.

I was kind of shying away from going too big, too fast, because I'm a coward at heart, but all the positive feedback I've gotten over the last few days has me re-thinking that position. Better to harness all this energy now before we lose it. So if you want to do this in your city, or you're a designer with games you want to see in cafes, let's talk and organize. It's actually a lot easier than one might expect.
  • edited December 2008
    on the website, in Section 1:
    "a brief preview of it's"
    should read
    "a brief preview of its"

!

this project is so cool!

-lurves, jackson

also, the "impossible-to-read-on-black" layout choice is bold, if not... hmmm... useful to me.
    i fear that cafe-goers won't be able to read it in the comfortably well-lit atmosphere.

hope this helps.
  • No apostrophe left behind!

Fixed, thanks for the enthusiasm and the proofreading. If you see anything else, don't hesitate to let me know. Think of my typos as Easter eggs.
  • Excellent! I'm excited to be part of this.
  • Epi,
    Let me know if/when you need more books. I am excited to have been part of the initial wave.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Eppy,

First off, I'm glad you went with "Cafe Game Exchange" and not "Cafe Games Exchange", as that would make a truly unfortunate URL.

Second, it seems the Exchange is not Google-able. It doesn't come up on a search. Is that intentional?
  • That is certainly not intentional. I'm looking into how to correct that now.
  • The blog settings say it's visible to everyone, including search engines. I'm not sure what's the issue, but I can't find it on a Google search either. Though apparently some people have, when searching for: cafe game, coffee and tea games, 3:16 role-playing game, bliss stage, and 3:16 carnage amongst the stars.
  • Posted By: Epidiah RavacholThe blog settings say it's visible to everyone, including search engines. I'm not sure what's the issue, but I can't find it on a Google search either.
    What blog software are you using? If WordPress (which, duh, you really SHOULD use, even if it means a rebuild) then All-In-One SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a godsend. I can arbitrarily search on my own name, most of my game names (GLASS doesn't hit high, imagine that!), and even some essay topics and make page one at Google.
  • It's the third hit, after two entries which are both this thread.

In other words, if you want CGE to own google, stop posting.
  • Or make links to CGE.
  • This is just one person talking, but:

I know that those cafes are places I would normally never have gone. But now that they have games in them, games I can leaf through and touch... I will definitely go there and have a coffee. And, who knows, seeing how cool the games are, I might go buy them. Everybody wins, woohoo!

...and I can find out about where to go and what games are there right here:

Cafe Game Exchange
  • Posted By: Emily CareOr make links to CGE.
    Do you mean Cafe Game Exchange where New Yorkers (and hopefully soon others) can peruse creator-owned role-playing games in the comfort of their favorite coffee shop?

yrs--
    --Ben
  • That's really wonderful, Eppy!

I look forward to updates on how this goes.
    -Rachel
  • Café Game Exchange is a brilliant idea! Unfortunately in my (admittedly limited) experience of cafes in Scotland, most don't have books lying about, making Café Game Exchange a bit harder to pull off.

It would be very welcome, however. Any thoughts, David, Gregor, Per, or other locals, on setting up some Café Game Exchange locations over here?

By the way, Café Game Exchange, Café Game Exchange, Café Game Exchange. *Click Ruby Slippers*
  • Anyone interested in doing an interview with me about the project and future plans? I've got several sites where I can post a story.

ME
  • Thanks for all the links everyone, here and aboard. We should be able to double our cafes this week.
    Posted By: merb101Anyone interested in doing an interview with me about the project and future plans? I've got several sites where I can post a story.

ME
    I'm definitely interested.
  • edited December 2008
    Also, it's good to make links, but it's much better to do it on your own blog/website/whatever: if all the links come from here not only the pagerank will probably not increase, but we risk this page to be "modded down" by the anti spam-link algorithms of google. :)

...and so I did.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm open to putting some games in my friends cafe in Santa Monica. I could even post pictures of the games in their new home. I'll need a few games to drop off though.
  • So can I ask again ... how can I contribute a game to your project, now that it's up and running?
  • Posted By: Epidiah RavacholFor noclue, Sean, Emily, Rob and everyone else looking to do this in your area,let's get the discussion started.
    David, go there.
  • Posted By: noclueI'm open to putting some games in my friends cafe in Santa Monica. I could even post pictures of the games in their new home. I'll need a few games to drop off though.
    Excellent news! I've got a copy of Dread I'll send with the stickers.
    Posted By: HituroSo can I ask again ... how can I contribute a game to your project, now that it's up and running?
    I thought I responded to this earlier, but upon review of the thread, it appears I'm mistake. My apologies. Yes, please. I'm discovering more and more prime cafes here in NYC, so I can make room for some more games. And if you've got something for noclue in Santa Monica, that would be even better. I'll get some shipping info to you in the whispers.
  • Hooray for the Café Game Sex Change!

You know what I just realized? Eppy's voice really reminds me of Hulk Hogan's.

• Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanEppy's voice really reminds me of Hulk Hogan's.
    This is largely due to the fact that I'm a real American, and that I fight for the rights of every man.
  • edited December 2008
    Posted By: renatoramAlso, it's good to make links, but it's much better to do it on your own blog/website/whatever: if all the links come from here not only the pagerank will probably not increase, but we risk this page to be "modded down" by the anti spam-link algorithms of google. :)

...and so I did.
    Right on!

linked