Enough with the Sell me on... threads!

edited January 2009 in Story Games
I despair to see this confrontational phrasing has migrated from RPGnet to Story Games. I notice that the threads actually aren't "sell me on" but "Recommend a system for..."

It's so easy to inflame on forums that I would like to see less sensational subject lines. "Recommend a system for Star Wars" for example would be more accurate.

Can we all buy into that?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Hey Alan,

With all respect, why does it matter?

It's accurate enough. It's solicited advertising. "Tell me why I should try out this game! Tell me why I should *buy* this game."

It's better, IMO, than me simply coming on here and putting what amounts to an Ad up for my games. It's functionally similar, in that I'm trying to sell you my game (even if it's free) but in the "Sell me on..." threads, you're asking me, and others, to do so.

That said.. I agree with the sentiment expressed in the subject line. It's been a little excessive lately, IMO. But hey, it's easy to skip threads that don't interest me, so it's little more than an excuse to roll my eyes.
  • Posted By: AlanI notice that the threads actually aren't "sell me on" but "Recommend a system for..."
    Actually, when I use them, I totally mean "sell me on", or at least "tell me what you like about...". But "Sell me on Empire of Dust" is easier to type than "Tell me a few things that you really like about Empire of Dust". Especially since, in both cases, the end result is that the thread poster ends up buying the product if suffiiciently teased/explained".

The only problem we've had lately is Filip's use of the thread format, which has been "recommend me a system based on these extremely fine and minute guidelines". Other than that, though I don't particularly have a problem with the wording.
  • This is the sort of internet posting up with which I shall not put.
  • I found them a bit obnoxious lately, I prefer when it's really "Why should I play X?" instead of the recommend-a-system (which you can just say "Recommend a system for X") or come-argue-with-me (which you can just say "Let's argue about X").
  • edited January 2009
    Something about "Sell me on ..." hits me right in my embittered, misanthropic hindbrain and triggers an automatic "No, I won't." Well, actually, it makes me think, "No, and fuck you, you lazy bastard...I don't care what you buy or don't buy."

"Recommend a ..." or "Tell me what you like about ..." doesn't produce the same reaction, though. So if I could decide what other people typed for their subject lines, that's what they'd be doing.

Obviously, I don't get to decide that. But someday I will, so maybe you should all get on board right now, okay? :D
  • For his birthday every year, I give my husband $75 to spend solely on gaming materials so I can run them for him. "Sell me on," is one of the strings I tell him to search for on gaming sites so he knows how to spend his money.
  • Dude, my group says this to me from time to time.

"I'm thinking of running X" ----> "Sell me on it".

I like 'sell me'.
  • You know what I like a lot better than "sell me on..." (which rather reeks of entitlement in a lot of cases)?

"What have you done with...."

Actual play beats bloviation every time.
  • While we're at it, I've a question of urgent import.

How many thread starters can dance on the head of a pin?
  • Sell me on pinhead
  • Posted By: bouletSell me on pinhead
    He's a "merchant of EXPERIENCE"! Do you have any idea how valuable that is to gamers?
  • Posted By: Levi-Who-Babbles.Dude, mygroupsays this to me from time to time.

"I'm thinking of running X" ----> "Sell me on it".

I like 'sell me'.
    I was going to ask someone to sell me on the phrase "sell me." So, sell me on being sold!

Bonus points if you can sell me on being sold tender play in a non-trad Sim game of Star Wars.

p.
  • Bonus points if you can sell me on being sold tender play in a non-trad Sim game of Star Wars.

...Someone's been reading a leetle too much S-G.
  • Story Games: Sell Me!
  • I don't object to "Sell Me On" threads. I object to how they've been used here, lately.
  • Posted By: Paul BI was going to ask someone to sell me on the phrase "sell me." So, sell me on being sold!
    I went shopping for pants today, just to get out of the house. I spent a good twenty minutes looking around the store, time that went into... nothing. Into wandering around basically glazed over, not really paying attention. And then I picked some stuff.

Had I been fully engaged with what I was doing, really sold on it, I would have gotten my pants sooner.

...That might not be clear...

Basically, "Sell me on this!" can translate into "I'm willing to engage this, but not energized. Share your energetic enthusiasm with me, so I can go straight to loving it!"

It doesn't always mean that. But that's the kind of "sell me" I enjoy.
  • Sell me on why the OP's request has any merit.
  • Posted By: David ArtmanSell me on why the OP's request has any merit.
    Heck, I was gonna start a similar thread but he beat me to it.

I think "Sell me.." perpetuates the idea that "choosing" an RPG is some major commitment, like buying a car. That, and I think that if you need to be "sold" on an RPG, you probably don't want it anyway. Either the concept of a game excites you or it doesn't, and you want to play it or you don't.

That, and it gives me RPG.net flashbacks.
  • The PTSD of individual members notwithstanding..

Isn't the purchase of an RPG kind of a big deal?

There are masses of great RPGs out there that I haven't bought. Some I am almost rabidly enthusiastic about. But I haven't bought them, nor do I see myself buying them in the foreseeable future because I don't know when I'll get a chance to play them.

When I went to GenCon, I was very much in a "Sell Me" mode. With very few exceptions, I didn't buy a game I hadn't played at least briefly first. One of the exceptions, 3:16, I asked for assurances that I would enjoy it, mostly in joking mode. John Harper told me that if I didn't like it after he ran me through a game, he'd buy my copy. I totally wouldn't have sold it to him, partly because I believe in making choices and abiding by the results, good or bad, and partially because Gregor signed my copy, and how weird would that be?

I really wanted to buy some other games. I wanted to buy MLwM, because the game sounds fun, and has influenced my game design efforts despite the fact that I've never played it. There were others, too, but I hadn't played them, and my budget was limited. I know, know, KNOW that I won't regret purchasing MLwM, if for no other reason than to read it, but I wasn't sold on it.

Unlike Alex Cherry, I do not have a massive collection of RPGs taking up most of a wall of my room. Every book I purchase is one I expect to use, or at least really want to use.

Bottom Line: Don't sell me on a game you don't think I should buy. Don't read a Sell Me thread unless you're interested in selling it, or interested in being sold on it.

Also, if you think I've got a sense of entitlement because I may or may not ask you to "sell me on" something, you ain't seen nothin'. Get me started on how ungrateful people are for the freedoms they enjoy in America. THAT's a sense of entitlement. :grin::
  • Posted By: WolfeIsn't the purchase of an RPG kind of a big deal?
    Querying the internet about an RPG you are interested in is one thing (IMO). "Sell me..." threads seem to have a different air about them, like the person feels they need to be convinced. That's way too much mental effort to be exerting on a game purchase.

And, no, purchasing an RPG is not a big deal. If it is a big deal, then I'd suggest the person has bigger issues they need to be worried about.
  • I don't see anything wrong with them per se. I need to be sold on games sometimes. So as far as the thread is about getting me excited about a game or telling me what's awesome about it, I don't see a problem.
  • I'd suggest that what else anyone has to worry about really isn't anyone else's business.

It very well may be that the biggest decision that person has to make is the purchase of an RPG. It may also be that that person makes decisions that can affect the whole world (Obama could be a gamer; it could happen). It may be that it's completely irrelevant.

What is relevant is that the decision is non-trivial to that person at that time. It's at least somewhat of a big deal to that person at that time.

If answering the call to sell someone is too much mental effort, then don't. I personally think that perhaps you're not exerting enough mental effort on the purchase of your games. Which means precisely nothing to you, unless you choose to make it so.

Personally, I want to be sold on a game. I don't want to buy it simply because it caught my eye, or on a whim. When I buy a game, I want to be 100% sold on playing it. More, I want to be excited..

But maybe that's too much mental effort.
  • A seperate category for them might be nice so you could block it if you wish. They're a thread that serves a purpose, but it seems like it's a pretty narrow purpose and a glut of them does make it difficult for me to maintain my interest in posting to internet RPG forums. Then I might go outside and make snow angels or something.

Nevermind. Just leave things like they are.
  • In the end, the attitude that an original poster of a Sell Me thread might be...

** I'm very interested in this game, and am thinking about buying it. Tell me more about it that you find good or bad, so that I can seal the deal either way.

** I haven't heard anything about this game. Not really committed to pick it up one way or another, but I'm bored and figured I'd create a thread where a bunch of people tell me its merits.

The attitude expressed is a function of the poster, not the "Sell Me" part. Of course, I actually read the poster's entire post to size them up as a #1 or #2. If they're a #1, and I have something to say either way, I'll say it. For #2 (which I see sometimes, not often) I'll just not bother.

-Andy
  • Posted By: Robert BohlI don't object to "Sell Me On" threads. I object to how they've been used here, lately.
    This. Right here.
  • Posted By: Neko EwenPosted By: Robert BohlI don't object to "Sell Me On" threads. I object to how they've been used here, lately.
    This. Right here.Yep. I actually like "Sell me threads", because most of the time, the resulting threads can contain interesting snippets that I like to read and/or push me over the edge one way or the other regarding a game I've been interested but not yet completely sold on.

Recently, some "Sell me" threads here on SG felt more like "Prove me wrong about... (Knowing that you'll fail)" or "Argue with me about..." threads, which we really could do without.

So, Baby, bathwater, and so on...
  • The problem here is that it is hard from a single post to tell if the discussion is being disingenuous for not. After a succession of posts that build a pattern and contain mind-games and left-handed insults, it is much easier.

I think we need to develop a non-zen-harshing way to say "Internet Troll is a Troll" to threads that are obviously made to troll the community. The most advisable methodology for dealing with any of these hypothetical issues would be to not feed the troll.

Starved Trolls fade; unbumped threads wither into the hourglass sands. It is the greatest gift of the Internet.
  • edited January 2009
    Posted By: Accounting for TasteSomething about "Sell me on ..." hits me right in my embittered, misanthropic hindbrain and triggers an automatic "No, I won't." Well, actually, it makes me think, "No, and fuck you, you lazy bastard...I don't care what you buy or don't buy."
    I have to agree, thus I tend to avoid those threads. Seems too much like "Hey, do a bunch of work for me, OK?" Unless I'm getting a percentage, I don't really want to "sell you."