It's all Emily Care's fault

edited January 2009 in Story Games
Last Saturday I had a date with this beautiful girl, and I had an amazing time. You know, the kind of date where you feel things could eventually get serious and stuff.

Then, afterwards, I realized that, as I was remembering the different moments of the date, I started thinking about it as a game session of Breaking the Ice. I kept looking for our scenes, rerolls, attraction dice...

Then it stuck me. I do that all the time. Thinking about things in real life as if they were in a game. Trying to figure out atributes, stadistics, mechanics. How many hitpoints that guy would have. How badly they failed their conflict roll. How creative the GM was to narrate the scene with so much color... Seeing stuff in game terms. (In fact thinking about the movie Matrix Reloaded as if it was a game was what first catapulted me into game design.)

I know some of my gaming buddies do that too. In an intentional, funny, tongue-in-cheek way. But I am curious. Do many people do it like me (in a casual and unintentional way)?

It's not that I'm too concerned about it. I don't think I am anyway near an obsessive fanatism or anything. I just find it funny, and am curious about what other people think. And it do would be nice to know I'm not the only one.

So what do you think, people? Do you do it too? In an intentional or an unintentional way? What is your favorite "In X game that would work like this" moment? Which are the games you think about most often?

(BTW, after my date, we earned several connection and a lot of attraction dice, which is an impressive feat, both in game terms and in real life. :D)

Comments

• Please, Tristan, don't ask her to do the attraction rolls for you!! :-)

I never do it, except as a plain and clear joke when we are all gamers around, taking a break to buy a pizza in a nearby restaurant. But I have other friends who find it really funny.
  • My girlfriend and I frequently talk about our favorite TV shows like that. In good shows, we talk about how much which players must be enjoying themselves during different episodes and how awesome certain players are to take a hit for the time, or how great the GM must be. We frequently think of our gaming buddies and discus which characters are whose "type" of character, or are played in a way that reminds us of ourselves or our friends (On Heroes, for example, either Matt Parkman or Hiro Nakamura is totally my character - my girlfriend says so). For shows that are disintegrating, we imagine the mistakes the players and GMs are making, or how their social group might be falling apart (to continue the above metaphor, the GM of Heroes is banging either Sylar's player or Peter's player, or both, and Noah stopped being a PC a while ago - we think his player got sick of this shit and ditched).

I know. We're hopeless.
  • Not very often. But from time to time me and my so have some private jokes about failing a charisma throw after some awkward social situation.
  • When players metagame reality, or non-interactive media, I wonder what it has to say about immersion.
  • I don't do this, as far as I know. But I often think "hey, I have to make a game about that!" - spawned by some idea about a social dynamic that would be fun to simulate, often with humorous intent.
  • When driving on snow or ice, I think of the +D4 difficulty to maneuvers from Car Wars....

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • I have a character in an online MU* based on the show Heroes who constantly complains about how his life has turned into a third-rate TV drama, and actually identifies plot twists, commercial breaks, pacing, and so on.

Next "season" he's going to downgrade the events of his life from "TV Drama" to "video game, or one of those sites where teenagers write about their favorite characters".
  • Last night I was watching Battlestar Galactica with Ellen and Judd, and Judd says, "Man this makes me want to play PTA something fierce," and I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing.
  • I often think "How would I design mechanics to model this situation?"
  • When suggesting ways to make difficult tasks easier, I occasionally categorize the advantages with a plus to hit. Barely helpful suggestions are +1, brilliant solutions are +10, etc.
  • Posted By: TristanThen, afterwards, I realized that, as I was remembering the different moments of the date, I started thinking about it as a game session of Breaking the Ice. I kept looking for our scenes, rerolls, attraction dice...
    NERD.

Sorry. Had to be said. I do occasionally think of things from games that would be nice to have, but rarely in terms of mechanics. Things like, "Wow, a Rod of Inertia would really screw up this guy's day."
  • Well, I'd see myself more as a geek than as a nerd, actually.

I did realize something: some socially-inept nerdly people could actually learn a thing or two about social interactions from that game. Boy, do I like it.
  • I don't tend to think of reality in gaming terms (I have trouble thinking of gaming in gaming terms, curse my non-linear mind!), but I do catalog experiences and see if they inspire something creative (usually a game idea).

I ran a Jovian Chronicles game that was largely inspired and informed by a business trip where I sat in several airports and visited Vegas. I went to a train museum with my brother and his family and just ate up the details that would inform games set with trains or other compact transports like that.

I fetched some coffee for the crew when I was on a stake-out with some pals of mine in a secret FBI task force that polices supernatural creatures and that caused me to...psych! Just had to throw that in. (I haven't said "psych" in that context in almost 20 years!)

So I do coast in life and add to my experience roster details and such that can become cool color or inspiration when I get to the table.
  • I find I do this too, especially with Breaking the Ice. When Ep and I got together, and looked at an impressive list of very contradictory aspects of our lives, I was like "What gives? How are we supposed to do this with so many Conflicts?" And when I watch movies, I often tick off the Re-rolls as things go wrong.
    Posted By: Tristan
    (BTW, after my date, we earned several connection and a lot of attraction dice, which is an impressive feat, both in game terms and in real life. :D)
    Congrats & good luck with the next date! :) Hope you don't have to do too many re-rolls in between to keep that attraction level high for next time. ;)
  • I do this frequently. I also look at buildings or structures, and contemplate how to build them out of LEGO. I also look at fights in movies and TV shows, and break them down as to what manuevers and styles were being used.

A friend of mine who is about halfway through his engineering degree says whenever he sees a bridge now, he doesn't see a bridge, he sees stresses and lines of force.

It's just what people do. You filter the world through the things you know.
  • Posted By: blankshieldIt's just what people do. You filter the world through the things you know.
    That is very true. Since I finished college, I keep watching the billboards, posters and stuff, and I automatically start thinking about the color use, composition, use of graphical elements, stuff like that.
  • This is why I like characters to have a signature skill. It's not about being better at one thing, or mapping out screen time, or being associated with that thing by other characters, but about how that discipline colors how the character sees the world.

If a character has a signature skill, then a GM can describe how they see the world in a character appropriate way.