Did something happen to Mike Holmes?

edited February 2009 in Story Games
I ask because I lost contact with from last year and I haven't seen him on story-games or rpg.net in many months. We have a mutual acquaintance who tells me Mike doesn't have an e-mail address to contact him.

So, unless I missed news about him, can anyone tell me if he's okay?

Comments

• Crazy! I was just wondering about him this morning on the drive to work.
  • All,
    There is a few things you should know:
    1) Mike is a recluse (like the spider)
    2) If you see him, it may be the last thing you ever see (like the spider)
    3) You don't want to find him in your bananas (like the spider)

Seriously though, I don't know anything I haven't' been keeping tabs on him. He used to make weekly Thursday visits to ING on magicstar, maybe check there...
    Dave M
  • I've pinged him via the last email I had for him.
  • He's fine. Ralph was talking with him just the other day.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • I understand that I pissed him off so much he can't intertron anymore.
  • If that's true, you should be ashamed.

Denys,

Like said above Mike is reclusive. I've heard that he sometimes is on #indierpgs or some such named chatroom, but I don't do IRC so I can't confirm, or tell you what server it might be on.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm sure I saw him at the mall yesterday, wearing the same rhinestone jumpsuit he wore at his Hawaii concert.
  • It is scary to think that there might be life there outside the intertube. Kinda shakes my world wide view.
  • I haven't talked to him recently, but the new extension looks fantastic.
  • I was just hanging with the Holmes last weekend...we played King Maker...Old School Boardgamey Joy in a Box.

Here's the scoop. His work shut off access to the internet so his ability to post everywhere a zillion times a day has been curtailed. He's also spending lots of time playing WoW these days.
  • His work shut off access to the internet so his ability to post everywhere a zillion times a day has been curtailed.
    Oh my God. Then he's not OK. Send him our thoughts and best wishes at this difficult time.

Graham
  • He mentioned getting into WoW some time ago.

I'm not technician from CSI... but that would have been my first guess for a perp right there.
  • edited February 2009
    He mentioned getting into WoW some time ago.
    I understand that kids and teens would enjoy WoW, but veteran roleplayers? I have the feeling I'm missing something, but what's the point of those games? From what I hear you have to spend eons of perfectly fine free time grinding goblins to earn a miser of XP and raise one level. How can that even compete with an evening of tabletop RPG?

I'm honestly curious...
  • Uh... maybe the fact that they are activities that don't really overlap? WoW is a videogame, people enjoy it for that, surely not because it's an rpg in the tabletop sense.

(and no, I don't care for WoW)
  • Alex,

It's fun.

It isn't the same thing as playing a tabletop rpg, nor are they in direct competition.
  • edited February 2009
    I will honestly answer.

For me there are three thing (and this is only for me, others will have their own fun):

1) It's a video game. I mean, your avatar is armed up with ability, and you get into fights and you use your abilities in different combinations to win. So, video games are fun if you think they're fun. I do.

There are different classes and each class has its own abilities (and weaknesses), and so getting good at a class actually involves all the puzzle solving work you'd get with any other video game -- a mix of checkers and adrenaline, if you will.

I'll be honest: The time I'm having the most fun is when everything goes wrong in a fight and you have to think very fast and make choices about which abilities to call up and how to manage the timing on some abilities is a bit of a crisis. That's fun for me. The game only gets dull when it's easy, and it's easy for it tot get easy.

2) The social aspect. I play with four other folks local to Los Angeles. We have our own guild ("In a Wicked Guild...") and because we know each other there's a nice trust thing going and we take care of each other and crack a lot of jokes at the expense of both WoW and ourselves. We are funny, and it's funny to type out funny stuff.

We've managed until recently to always adventure together, doing five man instances as a team. (Computer problems for some of us have mucked that up lately.) So you were doing something with people you liked. I've been in larger guilds before... not the same thing, not what I'm looking for. I think huge guilds are a social mistake.

3) It's the easiest to-do list you'll ever have.

My life is full of 1) unstructured time and 2) projects that never seem to end. A sense of accomplishment is sometimes a nice thing to have, no matter how lame. When I say lame, keep in mind the trade off is, going out and farming the ore to up your wealth by a hundred gold is a low investment of energy and time. I hop online at my desk, I'm playing within seconds, I go do the thing. Boom. Even if I've got another 50 pages to write, and after I turn it in I'm going to get notes, and who knows if the project will really, ever get made, I did a little something. I pushed the lever and got a gerbil pellet -- and sometimes that's nice to get.

That said, this is pretty low on the totem pole of gerbil pellets. Writing pages, drawing, painting, hitting the gym, going for a walk are all much more satisfying. But sometimes the easy fix is nice.
  • Considering that there right now are 300,000 people signed up to play The-West which along with such games as Battle Knight or Mob Wars are essentially nothing but exercises in pushing the lever and getting a pellet...I'd say there's alot of folks who like that micro accomplishment thing.

WoW at least is a good game.
  • Chris, thanks for formulating an explanation I can integrate.

I guess I have a very biased view of computer games, since for me computer rpgs were often trials to expand the tabletop rpg experience into virtual reality, and I tend to take WoW as the latest incarnation of that experiment. I guess if I had tried the game I would realize it serves another niche in the entertainment ecology than rpgs.

Still, couldn't one use those environments to run traditional rpgs online, a kind of virtual larp? after all, we do use mail, forums, voip and chats with relatively satisfying results...

I can also appreciate your point about the puzzle solving sense of accomplishment. Personally, I got addicted to fantastic contraptions, a flash game that allows you to design all kinds of "contraptions" to reach a certain goal with a limited set of starting materials. You really feel nice emotions when your little baby does what it's supposed to do.

The social aspect you describe does remind me a bit of the tabletop experience. You have a lot of the fraternity, with much less logistical and attendance problems.

Anyways, I think I understand a bit better the point of WoW.
  • Ok, folks thanks for the answer. WoW it is.
  • Posted By: ValamirHis work shut off access to the internet so his ability to post everywhere a zillion times a day has been curtailed.
    I certainly hope they appreciate the extent of the damage they did to indie rpg design with their unconscionable explosive detonation of the hobby's main support pillar for mechanical rigor.

Paul
  • edited February 2009
    Posted By: Christopher Kubasik

My life is full of 1) unstructured time and 2) projects that never seem to end.
    In my experience, these two are highly correlated.
  • Posted By: DenysPosted By: Christopher Kubasik

My life is full of 1) unstructured time and 2) projects that never seem to end.
    In my experience, these two are highly correlated.

Without doubt.
  • Posted By: Paul CzegePosted By: ValamirHis work shut off access to the internet so his ability to post everywhere a zillion times a day has been curtailed.
    I certainly hope they appreciate the extent of the damage they did to indie rpg design with their unconscionable explosive detonation of the hobby's main support pillar for mechanical rigor.

Paul

Hear hear. Any news on Hero-Wars, or whatever it's called these days?
  • Yeah, it would be awesome if Mike could stop by after-hours every blue moon. I've got a friend who works at (retracted: A large international financial firm from Germany), who are of the order of "Let us ban all zie Internet that might remotely disturb zie verk of our laborers." (interestingly enough, they leave financial sites unblocked so as not to cause an uproar with their self-minded directors/managers: If I was really slacking off at work, I'd be fucking around on Marketwatch, Scottrade and Yahoo Finance, not the Pet Lovers Dot Com forums).

In any case, here's my take on Mike:

Sometimes Excalibur needs to be returned to its sheath. Eventually it'll be called on again to kill some Saxons, but you can't be swinging it around all the time.

-Andy
  • edited February 2009
    My, what a handsome man.

Someone had to say it.

Edit: This assumes our dear Mr. Holmes is also the homebuilder, of course.
  • I have that same problem with work (I work for a federal agency). If I added something like WoW to all that I've got going on, I'd disappear, too.