If you won a medal for Story Games, what would be on it?

edited April 2009 in Story Games
Yeah I know it's a weird subject. I like weird subjects :)

So if there was a medal available for anything to do with RPGs - art, writing, system design, contests, playing, the whole lot - what d'you think ought to be right in the middle of the shiny bit?

-Ash

Comments

• Not a die, that's cliché and shouldn't represent roleplaying games. I think an owlbear since they aren't seen outside the twisted shared imagination of nerds.
  • Posted By: KripplerNot a die, that's cliché and shouldn't represent roleplaying games. I think an owlbear since they aren't seen outside the twisted shared imagination of nerds.
    I totally agree with it not being a die. Apart from anything else, they're not the only randomiser available. But owlbears? What the heck is with owlbears? I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person left in the world that thinks those things are daft. I guess that's part of their charm, but after the recent proliferation I'm kinda sick of them.

-Ash
  • The mushroom cloud from a nuclear bomb.

Alternatively, Steve Jackson.
  • A mask turned away as if the viewer is wearing it.
  • The Gold Dragon: for Old School excellence and fiendish trapping.

The Star of Polaris: for torturing your character above and beyond the call of duty.

The Silver Cog: for the perfection of genre emulation.

The Siembieda Cross: for sticking to your guns.

The Erol Otus Aluminium Blob: for Best Artwork.

The Lead Zeppelin: for service in the Swine Wars.
  • Posted By: KripplerA mask turned away as if the viewer is wearing it.
    Tricky, but offers the interesting addition that if it is lit correctly it will look like a convex mask that turns to face the viewer.
  • The fuzzy countenance of Vincent Baker, of course. But not a clear portrait, too much magnificence to bear.
  • Steve,

Goddamnit man! Ever since the Third Council of Greenhaven you know it is against the Law Of He Who Shall Only Be Named as The Creator of Dogs to portray the image of He Who Can Only Be Attained Through the Play of Poison'd in any way! Even your psuedo-Care-Bossian theology should be able to understand that much.

I swear to the D. Who Rules on High, you'd think people could get these simple concepts.

Others,

The Nimbus of Immersion: For being a quality immersive player. It is, of course, invisible. Or perhaps it is only visible on your character, but not the player.
  • If I personally won a medal? It would probably be an engineer's cap or a train engine.
  • edited April 2009
    I absolutely love the genre-bending Ennies trophy dude:

I've had the fucking Diana Jones Award on my living room shelf. And it absolutely was the most significant creative recognition of my life. But still I'd jump through considerable hoops for a shot at an Ennies trophy dude. Except I've never seen a clear explication of how they decide what gets a medal and what gets a trophy.

Paul
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeExcept I've never seen a clear explication of how they decide what gets a medal and what gets a trophy.
    Yeah I'd love to know that too. I wonder if you have to pay for it? ;)
    Mind you, I've never really considered the Ennies that important myself. That is an awesome trophy though.

-Ash
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsSteve,

Goddamnit man!
    I'm sorry. I'll do 40 mechatons as punishment and recite my Big Model.
  • As long as it weighs several pounds and is made out of solid platinum, and has the number for a brilliantly endowed bank account in the Caymen Islands stamped on the back side, engrave whatever you want to on the front. Although, I am fond of the idea of just putting "Hastur" on it.
  • Posted By: BrendanSea Dracula:  Most Erotic
    Hells yeah.

But I don't know. A symbol? Maybe a stylized SG for story games? Most story games share little if nothing in common that could really be made in a symbol.
  • i was so proud of you in that moment, Brendan.
    Everything you've trained for, the podcasts, the rigorous fanfic.

ok, why does the phrase "pants off dance off" enter my life so seldom?
    that was a great moment at gamestorm, too.

OP! i think it'd be cute to have a fill-in-the-blanks kind of medal, which looks like a section on a character sheet.

or perhaps a knife stabbing a face.
    or a person holding a knife, stabbing another person's face. like, cartoony, though.
  • The Dick Smothers Trampoline: for being the straight man for others to bounce their awesome weirdness off of.

maybe also

The Bronze Cog: For tireless hacking of games (especially FATE).
  • Jackson, you beat me to it - a knife stabbing a face.
  • The Monkey King of course.
  • A thought bubble containing a word bubble, or vice versa. Gaming is all about imagination and communication, after all. Hmm, maybe multiple bubbles to get at the social aspect.
  • Mine would be awarded posthumously, since naturally I will soon be up against the wall when the revolution comes.
  • Posted By: nemomemeThe Bronze Cog: For tireless hacking of games (especially FATE).
    Actually I quite like that one. The cog that is, not FATE.

-Ash
  • That one should be the Bronze Spanner.
  • Most people in the states have never heard of a spanner. The Bronze Monkey Wrench then.

Monkeys make everything better...
  • Posted By: GB SteveThe fuzzy countenance of Vincent Baker, of course. But not a clear portrait, too much magnificence to bear.

See, I was thinking a cross-shaped metal with Vincent crucified on it. "And lo, He died for your shitty game designs."
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsI swear to the D. Who Rules on High, you'd think people could get these simple concepts.
    You know, cast in this light, that makes Ryan Macklin's intro to his "Master Plan" podcast seem almost Gnostic...

As for a general, visual, universal symbol of the hobby...whoa! That is one for the ages. I would suggest a table with the group sitting around it and maybe a screen to indicate a GM...hardly universal in depicting how some play, but recognizable to those who play RPGs even if they play on sofas using cards and servants who hold their character scrolls (like my group does).
  • ah, i knew we were missing something.

...the servants.

we can get those on IPR, i hope?
  • In the middle, there would be a place for you to put your own stuff (that's what story gaming is all about).
  • edited April 2009
    Polyhedria, the muse of role-playing.

No image can do her justice, of course; but here's a friend's noble effort:

• She looks familiar...