DexCon 12 Planning

So DexCon is 11 weeks away, and I remember there was some talk after Dreamation that we might be looking at fixing some problems, or changing how we set things up. Was there any resolution to that? Should we start talking about it here?

Comments

• Yes, we should talk about it here.

Let's just all remember that Vinny is one of the best things to ever happen to Indie Gaming, and that his requests to us were intended to help both his con and our community thrive, so it is critically important that we read him as charitably as possible, even on issues that he seems to just "not get."

Personally, I think there are some things where we're not going to want to budge, and that's probably all right. I'm not going to run Polaris or DRYH for six people, for instance, nor do I think anyone else should.

Most of the best ideas that were tossed around in various livejournals after Dremation had to with the scheduling system. If we could convince Vinny to modernize it a bit (IIRC several people volunteered to do the necessary coding), we could then detect where the need for more GM's is. Then anyone who steps up to the plate to GM a high-demand game would have their

Issues not addressed by me in this post:
    -designer-only playtest track? (I hate this idea with a hatey hatred, but I get that having unfinished games on the main schedule can sometimes be problematic)
    -giving more people access to the *designers* of hot games (sure, I can run DRYH, but I ain't Fred)

Matt
  • I am going to be running a game that can accomodate about 8 people pretty successfully, so there's that.
  • I would suggest that someone summarize what the outcome of all the discussion with Vinny finally came to. (I know it seemed odd that it all happened on a blog rather than on a forum, and the formatting made it a bear to dig through.)

Once everyone can agree on the summary of ideas, we should push forward with the how we do/don't address the ideas.
  • edited April 2009
    One thing I suggested that people could do independently: Corral three GMs for your oh-so-hot hotness, schedule three simultaneous sessions, and have the oh-so-desirable designer spend a third of the session at each table, like a 1970's game show host table-hopping with a whiskey sour.

Everybody gets an hour with Fred Hicks! You could design an adventure with a knucklehead background NPC that would suddenly leap to prominence in each session at different times.
  • Where American comes to play! Hard for me to take weekdays off, but I entertain the idea of showing up for Saturday and/or Sunday.

This one, far as I can tell, has not relocated the way Dreamation did, correct?
  • According to the website, it looks like this one will also be in the Morristown location. So yes...relocated.
  • Fantastic! The new location was amazing.
  • Corral three GMs for your oh-so-hot hotness, schedule three simultaneous sessions
    I second this idea. I really think this would accomplish a lot of what Vinny wants.

As for satisfying "meet designers" demand, perhaps the roundtable could be better publicized...? Or maybe just put in bold somewhere, "Fred's the guy with purple hair, he's friendly, go say hi."
  • Posted By: Andrew MorrisAccording to the website, it looks like this one will also be in the Morristown location. So yes...relocated.
    Is this no longer the website? http://www.dexposure.com/dexcon11.html
  • Posted By: Matt WilsonPosted By: Andrew MorrisAccording to the website, it looks like this one will also be in the Morristown location. So yes...relocated.
    Is this no longer the website? http://www.dexposure.com/dexcon11.html

Never mind me. Never mind me at all.
  • Well, have we heard from Vinny about whether there will be a round of "this game is highly requested, can you add another one," or if there will be a separate playtesting track, with attendees getting to chose to participate in playtesting sessions, and getting free badges? I recall something like that being discussed, but I don't know if there was any resolution.