How to roleplay in the Korprulu Sector?

edited April 2009 in Story Games
I love Starcraft. I want to have a roleplaying campaign set in the Starcraft world but I don't know how to transfer the themes and scale to a roleplaying game. I've talked with several other players and they agree just playing ordinary people in the Starcraft world would suck since civilian life isn't visible in the games and people would just feel it doesn't matter what they do since all the important shit happens at high high level. I'm thinking maybe some kind of Ars Magica/Pendragon style game with one phase of strategic planning and then one phase of letting a subcommander and his grunts kick ass. Or better yet some kind of game simulating the Cerebrates relationships to each other and their confusion now that their one true love has been slain?

Comments

• What are the themes you identify and want to transfer?

Since different people will have different themes they want to transfer, that's the first question to answer.
  • Love is blind, I don't really know what strings Starcraft pulls in me but I'll make a few guesses:
    - Battles change stuff. A planet is burned sterile, the infant overmind is enslaved or an entire race has to escape through a warp gate
    - Slavery/faith, the Terran fight because they are resoced (brainwashed) or honour bound, the zerg fight because they are mindless and the templars fight because of their strong belief in the Khala. This is beautifully reflected in the game were a common strategy is to get zealots just so they can throw themselves onto mine fields to protect the dragoons.
    -Shit is always personal, the commanders smack talk via videolink before a battle.

To be honest one solution could be to just roleplay a bunch of commanders and then design actual maps to play out to match the fiction. Are there any warfare systems that aren't board-bound that can make the players feel the actual weight of their tactical choices?
  • I've never actually played with it myself, but the Riddle of Steel supplement The Flower of Battle has mass-combat rules which put an emphasis on the ability of the player characters to affect the battle. If you can get hold of a copy, that may have something to stimulate your creativity.

• Savage Worlds with the Fate-Aspect-like Qualities rules tweak would work. SW has pretty good mass battle rules, toolkit powers, plenty of SF-nal support practically out of the box.
  • May I suggest Agora, with some customized factions and cultures?
  • For the combat, there is also Exalted. Yes, Exalted. Where the mass-combat is (or was for the previous edition?) basically character versus character, with the army being akin to a piece of equipment worn and used by the characters.
  • Starblazer Adventures has suggestions for playing at all scales from individuals to vast star-spanning empires. Powered by FATE 3.0.
  • Your Favorite Superhero System - after all, the commanders don't just smack-talk, they jump their space motorcycles off cliffs and laser people with their sniper guns and become psychic hellgoddesses.
  • edited April 2009
    I too am trying to design this game. I have the boardgame and the pieces are so lovely that I am compelled to make a miniatures wargame for them.

Based on this...
    Posted By: KripplerI'm thinking maybe some kind of Ars Magica/Pendragon style game with one phase of strategic planning and then one phase of letting a subcommander and his grunts kick ass.
    ...I would recommed GURPS Mass Combat. I see lots of fun just building armies without actually creating leaders (i.e. GURPS characters). It reminds me of Empire Earth or Civilization IV, starting small and building to huge numbers as the tech level increases.

But I am not satisfied yet. I'm trying to create something more general, inspired by Babylon 5 as well, to handle starship combat with vast differences in Tech Level. I'm statting up some of the ships in GURPS Spaceships, but again that's just to get the creative process going, not a satisfactory solution.

This is on the front burner for me, but I get distracted. Maybe I'll just design a minis game for Valkyria Chronicles instead :-).

For this...
    Posted By: KripplerOr better yet some kind of game simulating the Cerebrates relationships to each other and their confusion now that their one true love has been slain?
    Over on the Car Wars thread, someone mentioned "Say Yes or Duel on the Road". Maybe you could try that; a freeform game punctuated by LAN play. But you probably need to give the players some anchors in the fiction to get worked up about.

-Grant