Licensed content sites

edited May 2009 in Game Design Help
One more and more common feature of blog and webpage design and, it seems to me, game layout is to make use of licensed content which can be used for commercial or non-commercial use, depending on the license.

What are great places to look for this content?

I admit to only follow Story Game occasionally, so if the topic has been beaten to death, please just give me a relevant topic and let this one die.

Comments

• What type of content are you looking for? Artwork? Cartography?
  • Well, my intended question was what sites people here had positive personal experience of for the purpose of desinging games or perhaps websites. I did not ask out of an immidiate need of content to finish a deadline until tomorrow or anything like that. I have just noticed that this seems to have become a very common practice. And I have no experience of my own, so I just wanted to get some fragments from experience of the SG crowd and to hear how people go about that practice.

To somewhat answer your question I would imagine that I would mainly use licensed photographs and perhaps other artwork.
  • edited May 2009
    It depends. I love istockphoto and places like that, but recently I've grown slightly more skeptical of them. I was browsing through shutterstock recently and found some artwork that I would love to have in my game, but I know, deep down in my heart, that whoever posted the artwork doesn't really own the rights to it (because it's semi-famous stuff made in China during the 1970s). Sure, they fraudulently posted it there and I could argue that it's their bad not mine, even if I use it, but that's not really how it works, unfortunately, morally or legally. So I think that, especially when you find cases where the stuff made available seems questionable, that you do some background research and make sure you're actually getting what you think you are, especially in regards to licensing rights.

There are sites where the work posted is more carefully vetted by staff, or at least appears to be. Getty Images, for example, is a major licensor of photographs to magazines. Normally, those kinds of licenses might be out of the price range for most indie game designers, but I was able to negotiate a limited license for a photograph that I sadly haven't used yet. So there are all sorts of options to explore. Additionally, there are a number of pro-quality photographers, designers, and illustrators associated with the indie scene (Elizabeth Shoemaker, Daniel Solis, Fred Hicks, Jennifer Rodgers, northerain, etc.) who would, in most cases, love to create work for interested parties, so that's always a great place to start.
  • For Play Unsafe, I used a stock photo for the cover. I'm really happy with it. It was from bigstockphoto.com. I bought some photographs for the interior, too.

Is that what you mean by licensed? You don't mean Creative Commons or anything, do you?

Graham
  • edited May 2009
    For Creative Commons stuff, their website has a search engine for CC-licensed works. Many flickr photos are licensed under some form of Creative Commons.

Keep in mind that there are multiple Creative Commons licenses, ranging from the very permissive "Attribution-only" to the very strict "Attribution + Non-commercial only + Share-alike + No derivative works".
  • Posted By: GrahamFor Play Unsafe, I used a stock photo for the cover. I'm really happy with it. It was from bigstockphoto.com. I bought some photographs for the interior, too.

Is that what you mean by licensed? You don't mean Creative Commons or anything, do you?

Graham
    Graham,

Well, yes I was actually thinking of Creative Commons more than anything else. I understand that poor verbiage confuses people. Perhaps I am a bit denser than I would like to think. But that's ok. But still, the link you gave is also very fitting. My plan is to get a game on paper before the end of the year or so, (game design is done, quite a bit writing left, though. ) so I might very well need something like this for that (it will be in Swedish only).
  • It was fun to watch one thing which has never happened to me before. People reacted to my internet query as I used to do whenever my dear mother asked me anything about computers: with sheer astonishment over the lack of knowledge and capability of expressing the question. Thanks a lot for the answers, guys. I will check all of these out.