Story Gamers in Washington DC

I know there are a fair number of Story Game forum members in the DC area, but I've never been able to attend one of the events nearby (like Camp Nerdly).

I have a regular gaming group, but only a couple of them really enjoy the same sorts of games that I do, so I'd be happy to meet a few more people who I might be able to game with from time to time. Games I'm currently interested in playing (that my regular group is not) are Storming the Wizard's Tower, Lady Blackbird. Mouse Guard and the Mountain Witch.

So, if anyone in DC, or the Metro-accessible suburbs (I am car-free) has an open game anytime soon, or might be interested in joining one, let me know.

Comments

• Hey, Brian!

It's theoretically possible to get to my place without a car. It takes two hours, though (an hour by car). I'm northwest of Baltimore. There's a decent DC-local contingent of folks, though. In particular, seek out Tom Cadorette, who seems to be one of the social hubs for gaming in that area.
  • Brian,

I live just outside of Baltimore (Catonsville, to be precise), but I don't mind travelling for a good game and would love to trade contact info. Having said that, I'm also overbooked gaming wise right now so unless you could make it up my way I'd be hard pressed to get together on any kind of a regular basis.

However, Nick and Buddha informed me at Camp Nerdly that they participate in a weekly indie game night every Thursday at the Compleat Strategist in Falls Church, VA. There's also a yahoo news group at this link.
  • Jeff Hosmer is also a good local contact. He runs occasional mini-cons and is part of the Compleat Strategist crew. Also he is nice.
  • I'm in Baltimore proper (near Adam), and can assure you that it's possible to get out here w/o a car, but it's a hike (I do the commute most every day). So do keep Charm City in mind (but also look up Tom, as Adam said).
  • Adam and Alex ... as I live in the District, and have no car, Baltimore may as well be in Ohio for me. (No offense intended; I am down with Charm City).

But thanks to all for the heads-up. I know the Compleat Strategist, although I have not been there in years. I'm sure they'll hook me up with some contact info.
  • Yes, Jeff Hosmer rules. Look for "Ice Station Nerdly" posts in the winter for his annual mini-con.
  • edited June 2009
    BWA, I'm the "Tom Cadorette" to which Adam and Daniel have referred, tom DOT cadorette AT gmail DOT com. :)

EDIT: I live in Alexandria, not too far from the Huntington Metro, and know some other folks who aren't regulars here but are certainly interested in the same kinds of games.
  • edited June 2009
    Posted By: BWAGames I'm currently interested in playing (that my regular group is not) are Storming the Wizard's Tower, Lady Blackbird. Mouse Guard and the Mountain Witch.
    I'm living in DC proper now. I got a couple other people who want to play tMW, so maybe we can coordinate and get something going. Shoot me an email at timfire -at- storyprov -dot- com.
  • I just got a job in Rockville and will be looking for some gaming in the area. Probably around September... depending on factors like when/where we find a house.
  • An embarassment of riches.
  • edited June 2009
    My wife and I live in Crofton, which is over in Anne Arundel county. Realistically it takes a ride for the metro or a lot of futzing with busses to get here without a car. We both are always looking for other nearby story gamers. Send an e-mail to sean D0T leventhal ta gmail and we will work out a way to meet some time.
  • edited June 2009
    Not to tell you your mass transit business, but Baltimore *is* quite accessible from DC without a car - more so than Ohio. During the week, it's just a matter of hopping the MARC from Union Station, College Park, or New Carrollton. Weekends are more of a pain in the ass, but doable (or as easy, if you don't mind paying Amtrak fares).

ETA: And, by the way, for getting around Baltimore, your SmarTrip card works on our buses.
  • Hey guys, I am one of the Complete Strategist crew, we have been calling ourselfs Northern Virginian Small Press Gamers..

At the Strat we are always open for more story gamers, it's Thursday's nights @ 6pm.. hell, I wouldn't mind gaming a bit on a few Saturdays a month. Right now we do not have a long term campaign. We been doing One shots and short term games..

I am not local at the moment to Complete Strategist or DC, but I should be by fall. I have a move coming up soon, and the current commute is killing me. So I can't offer up my place for gaming... anyhow.. what games are people looking at playing?

Nick
  • I'm out in Annandale, so also pretty accessible for DC-area stuff. I'm -really- close to the Complete Strategist ... enough so that it's embarrassing how little time I spend there :(
  • As I mentioned in my original post, the small-press/indie/story games I'm currently most into playing (in order of preference):

-- Storming the Wizard's Tower
    -- Lady Blackbird
    -- Mouse Guard
    -- The Mountain Witch

Kind of a "flavor of the month" listing, I guess, but those are the things I'm excited about at the moment.

I took Tim up on his offer to (hopefully) run a Mountain Witch game, so I guess I can cross that one off.

Is there general interest in any of these games? I'd be happy to run something, or host, or arrange for space at the Compleat Strategist. I have one other person interested from my regular group, possibly two.

If enough people in this thread e-raise their hands, I'll coordinate a game. If not, I'll gmail people individually.

Woot!
  • Another one of the Complete Strategist people here. I ran Storming the Wizard's Tower at the Strat... last week? Two weeks ago? Recently, at any rate. Great game. And Mouse Guard and Lady Blackbird are perennially on the shortlist. Drop on by some Thursday.

I might also be interested in gaming at some other time/venue (though maybe not on a regular basis).
  • What's on tap for next Thursday's Compleat Strategist game night? And how does it work, generally? Do you have a game schedule, or is it come-what-may?
  • I am in the DC Metro area.
  • Of late we have been choosing games on a week by week bases. I am not sure what is up next..

Do to my work schedule I more then likely will not be at Complete Strategist next week. But that could change.. depends on the game.

My turn at the GM seat is scheduled to be in two weeks.. I would gladly run one of those games..
  • PG County represent. I am very much Metro-accessible on the Green Line. I'm up for anything on the MD side and/or Metro-accessible without a line change (taking the Metro from out on the Green to, say, Bethesda sucks).
  • Well, interest in a DC-area SG game seems high, but between the comments in this thread, the whispers, and the non-SG emails I lost track of who wanted to do what.

So how does this sound: Storming the Wizard's Tower on Thursday, July 2. If enough of the Compleat Strategist guys are up for it, we can play there. If not, we can play elsewhere, or maybe play the day before. I can run the game, although I'd prefer to play.

Good? Bad?

(For those not in the know, the Compleat Strategist is in Falls Church, a mile or less from the East Falls Church station on the Orange Line, if memory serves. If all goes well, maybe we can play again at Dream Wizards or something, to provide proper MD/VA balance.)
  • edited June 2009
    Posted By: BWAWell, interest in a DC-area SG game seems high, but between the comments in this thread, the whispers, and the non-SG emails I lost track of who wanted to do what.

So how does this sound:Storming the Wizard's ToweronThursday, July 2. If enough of the Compleat Strategist guys are up for it, we can play there. If not, we can play elsewhere, or maybe play the day before. I can run the game, although I'd prefer to play.
    Sure. I'd be down with this, or Lady Blackbird (which I've yet to play).
  • Hey BWA,

Another NOVA SmallPress-er from the strat group.

In general we have to be aware that we have only been given Thursdays to play at CS (they have other games all week ie board games, magic warhammer etc), so we need a second or maybe fourth home at this point to play on non-thursdays.

I encourage you and who ever else can make it to come and play/run STW'sT! Not sure who we have slated to run that week.

[We have recently beaten back the Dreaded Demon of Indecision (3rd Circle Fallen Domination) by creating a Repetitive Litany of Names (one might call it a List, or even The List). If your Name arises to the top of the Litany of Victims (kind of like the We Owe list from IAWA), then it is your job to run a game (ta-da). ]

but regardless the more the merrier, if we have lotsa of people we will be running other games as well.

Otherewise, feel free to come by the strat around 6 pm on any Thursday to play drop in, meet some other local story gamers (and non-story gamers).

Jason

Also: As always thanks to Josh and the Strat for hosting us.
  • Posted By: khelekIn general we have to be aware that we have only been given Thursdays to play at CS (they have other games all week ie board games, magic warhammer etc), so we need a second or maybe fourth home at this point to play on non-thursdays.

I encourage you and who ever else can make it to come and play/run STW'sT! Not sure who we have slated to run that week.
    Of course. I wouldn't dream of imposing.

I was hoping that enough regular Strat players would be down with this idea that we could just basically crash your regular game. If not, I can probably hunt down an alternate location.

Any Strat players able to chime in and let us know what's on tap for that night?
  • BWA and friends come on down, this Thursday it's chaos.. I would be running a game however I just do not have the time to prep. I leave for Vacation next week.

I will have no-prep games with me..
  • Thanks for the heads-up, Nick. I won't be able to make it this week (or next week, sadly), but I do hope to drop by sometime soon. All the response from the Strat gamers in this thread has been awesome.
  • Hope to be there, with games, and even willing to run them if necessary.
  • I'm up in Montgomery county, but unfortunately kid constraints restrict socializing these days to people whose cars break down in front of my house. It's really encouraging to see this many storygamers in the area, though. Keep being around for the next couple of years, please.
  • Balthazar, I should have added, I'm in Silver Spring, and I've met a few of our kind in the immediate area. Have you checked nearbygamers.com?
  • Hey Nick - it looks like www.nearbygamers.com is just a domain name squatter. Is the site you're talking about located somewhere else?

In any event, my problems right now are less about finding gamers and more about finding time. We have a pair of 10 month old infants who take priority, so gaming at this point is off on the horizon at best.
  • Hello

I'll be moving to Sterling, VA in the near future and am interested in connecting with other non-traditional rpg'ers...

However, I'm not a fan of gaming at game stores (Game Parlor, Strategist, etc.) due to the noise and chaos of that sort of thing... at any rate, more when I'm officially (or unofficially) settled
  • Dave, http://nearbygamers.com/ works fine for me. With or without the "www." No domain squatting.

Neil, welcome to the area! I'm not a fan of gaming at game stores, either, but it's a great icebreaker. Go there. Play a game with some strangers. Get invited back to their house for different games.
  • Well... my thing isn't being crowd-phobic so much as it is high-frequency hearing loss... I'm deaf after a certain frequency and it makes it impossible to hear dialog in crowded/noisy places... so game-cons and game stores and the like are just a no-go for me.
  • Ouch! Well, once you get settled, we'll have to get together for dinner or something.

Really, I'd love to have a no-gaming convocation of regional gamers.
  • Posted By: balthazarIn any event, my problems right now are less about finding gamers and more about finding time.
    This is the Lord's own truth. A game of The Mountain Witch was born from this very thread, and scheduling a night to play has become its own game. A terrible, endless game, with bad rules and no winner.
  • Posted By: Adam DrayDave,http://nearbygamers.com/works fine for me. With or without the "www." No domain squatting.
    You're right, it works for me now. May have been a glitch on my side. Thanks.
  • Reviving this thread to say that I just accepted a one-year position in DC, and would be totally up for any sort of story gaming any time this year. (Provided I can get there without a car, or can get rides from other people.) I'm in Silver Spring temporarily, but will probably be relocating to DC proper within the next few weeks.

If anyone has it, I want to play Sign In Stranger more than just about anything, but I'll try any story game at least once.
  • edited September 2009
    Bunch of us meet up at The Compleat Strategistin falls church va, on Thursday nights @ 6pm.
  • Man, what is it with people without cars? ;)

But okay, at least you're gonna live in DC proper. Much easier to get around without a vroomvroom.
  • I will repeat what I've said upthread, that getting to Baltimore is very do-able without a car (I do it every day, almost). And Adam can be convinced to pick you up from the Owings Mills metro if you're nice.

I'd be up for trying out SIgn-in Stranger, but I don't feel comfortable enough with it to run it. My current indie recruiting project is Darkpages, but if you're up Baltimore way, I'm open to talking about playing whatever.

(PS We've met - I played Ram in Adam's Dreamation game of carry)
  • Does this mean your boyfriend will be in the DC area more often, or maybe even for-permanent? Cuz that'd be spiffy, too.
  • Hey gang,

I live in Fairfax, VA now, and I am all about checking out some story games with you all. I'm no longer "Zac in Davis" in anything but name. *sad face*

High five for the Compleat Strategist! I plan to check out their Thursday night indie shenanigans soon!
  • edited September 2009
    A number of our number metro to East fall Church Metro station and then short buys ride to the Strat (bus stop in front of the building). Getting back to Silver Spring can be a problem as the metro shuts down at approximately midnight and the buses stop running in Silver Spring before the last train gets to the station. (the strat Manager has run into this one!). If you live in the District getting home is a lot easier.

Regardless we are able to get people to the metro at least.

We played a loot of Sign in Stranger a few months ago. We are currently waiting to see what happens with the game. as it has tons of potential but has not yet congealed.

Also -

Anna - its good to hear from you again! Played with Earthenforge (Rachel) in IAWA at Dreamation. Also, the Strat group includes Sam and Buddha that were in the same carry. game as Dan L. mentioned above.

Dan - Buddha still gets the willies when he discusses you "lunging over the table at him as Ram." We also based a recent Roach Professor on you; a mild mannered philopsher with the ability to become seemingly angry in an instant.

Zac - don't know you, but hope to see you there.
    _____
    Jason

Edit: for salutations and poor spelling.
  • Posted By: khelekDan - Buddha still gets the willies when he discusses you "lunging over the table at him as Ram." We also based a recent Roach Professor on you; a mild mannered philopsher with the ability to become seemingly angry in an instant.
    Ha! That's Daniel to a tee.
  • Buddha, wherever you are, I'm sorry for flipping you out, man.

I like to think that I'm an angry philosopher with the ability to become seemingly mild-mannered whenever actual confrontation looms, though.
  • From Buddha (who can not view the forums from work):

Hey! Tell Dan that I wasn't flipped out, I loooove telling that story!!! It was such a great friggin' moment... for me, it was everything coming together and all of us being immersed in the game... so damn cool! So, tell Dan I tell that particular war story because I regard it as a freakin' BADGE OF HONOR that Dan Levine (Outraged Philosopher) as Ram was so angry with my character that he felt compelled to act on it!!!

Buddha

PS- You can quote me on that!

End Quote.

_____
    Jason
  • Hi all,

I'm in town for the Thanksgiving holiday, and my regular group is down for the count. I'm sure the Thursday Strat game isn't happening on Thanksgiving Day, but if there's another game going on, or anyone wants to start one, let me know.
  • edited November 2009
    I'll be here all by my lonesome on Turkey day, so I would be up for something...
  • Me three! Lets play the Mountain Witch with an alternate setting! ;)
  • I was thinking maybe Friday afternoon/evening would be a good time, if that sounds good to you two. We'll see if anyone else is interested.