[American Wizards] need a term for un-corruption

Okay, so, I've got this game, American Wizards, and it's about students at the American Institute of Wizard Arts, right?

So. There's this Corruption mechanic. You get Corruption points whenever you cause harm to someone, manipulate someone, refuse requests for help, destroy or waste something useful, or damage something beautiful. Corruption points have the potential to Corrupt your Attributes (so that you were, say, Vigorous, and now you're Brutal), unless you cancel them out with, um, un-corruption points. Which you get when you perform acts of healing, repair, charity, or creation.

So, what the hell do I call it? I can't call it "un-corruption." That's too silly. (American Wizards is a medium-silly game.)

Comments

• pristine points ?
  • I second Purity... or Redemption
  • School Spirit Points (or maybe just Spirit Points)

hmm, that's all I got that wouldn't be obvious by a quick thesaurus check.
  • The four things you get them for are about restoring breakages or making things whole. In point of fact, everything there is anti-entropic.

Amity
    Building
    Harmony
    Order

Look for words that mean the opposite of entropy and chaos.
  • Do you need to call it something? Can you just say "decrease your Corruption points"?
  • Yes, either Order or Purification.

Graham
  • American points!
  • Purity and purification don't seem to have much with what the points are doing, unless there are additional uses of the points that we don't know about. I think they're mostly showing up because it's in opposition to Corruption.

I'm not sure Corruption is what you want, though. There're a lot of things you're doing when you gain those points that aren't quite corruptiony. Plus, Corruption is used by like a billion and one games. If you aren't married to it I'd consider it again.
  • restoration points?
  • I made up a word, since there is no direct opposite of corruption.

Virtution

It comes from Latin virtut-, virtus strength, manliness, virtue, from vir man ( virile )

Cheers

O'Flux
  • I second the "why create a term, why not just tell people to reduce their corruption points?" question.

Unless there's a second use for the [Order] points.
  • Another vote for Purification.
  • Redemption
  • Virtue points.
  • edited June 2009
    It would be cool if this were an in-character concept as well.
    At the institute of learning where I work, they are currently on a "professionalism" kick, so I think Professionalism Points are good.
    I'm assuming that American Wizards are supposed to be helpful, constructive, protective, etc.

Edit: They sound just like Dark Side of the Force points, so maybe call them Dark and Light Side points? (Or, borrowing occult language, Left Side/Right Side points, or Deosil/Widdershins Points). We're all geeks on this bus, we'll get it.

Or do you even need two kinds of points? If it's just working as a countdown to inhumanity, maybe a simple scale that the characters go up and down on works, like the one in WoD games or the (better) one in Sorcerer. If the good and bad points do nothing but move characters on that scale, they don't really need to be "points" at all IMO. But ignore this if it doesn't fit your game.
  • Wait...these are AMERICAN wizards...what's all this blather about philanthropy and purity then.

In America you're only corrupt if a) you get caught AND b) you either hurt somebody more powerful than you in the process or someone wants to burn you for their own personal gain. If you do the exact same stuff but never get busted for it...then you're a leader, a role model, a patriot, and a great American.

So forget about "Purity Points" or anything anti-corruption-ish and pick something more American. Like "Win Points"

Everytime you Win you get to cancel out Corruption Points, because everyone (including the magical forces of the universe...cuz this is American magic) will look the other way as long as you're winning. If you're corrupt and you lose anyway...then you're done.

BUT, Americans also like to knock our winners down off their high horse when they get too uppity, so there needs to be an upper threshold for Win Points too. If you have too much Net Win, the excess gets translated into Emnity Points...which represents jealous petty bastards the GM can use to take you down a peg or two.

So...too much winning, gain enemies.
    Not enough winning, gain corruption
    Want to avoid creating enemies...either lose more...or be more corrupt.

Yup...AMERICAN Wizards...this ain't no bloody Hogwarts.
  • edited June 2009
    There is another use for un-corruption; it's one of the paths to Transcendence. Which is a sort of Total Freedom, freedom from death and time and space, that is seen as the ultimate goal of wizardry by about one third of the campus and faculty. (The other two things seen as the ultimate goal are Power and Art.)
    Posted By: ValamirSo...too much winning, gain enemies.
    Not enough winning, gain corruption
    Want to avoid creating enemies...either lose more...or be more corrupt.
    That's kinda the way it works already. This is because approximately half of the people at the Institute don't care about corruption. Basically the game is philosophy cage match; there's a bunch of philosophies, mostly based on real ones (from Castaneda to Emerson to Tibetan Buddhism), represented through various factions at the Institute. Your character aligns with one or more (or with a moral code of his own creation, which is arguably its own philosophy, espoused by Benjamin Franklin, the first American wizard), tries to follow his credo, while simultaneously having to get shit done and maintain interpersonal relationships. The "rightness" of all of these philosophies is up for grabs & judgment during play.

The Corruption thing is basically a humanity track, but Sorcerer's method is inappropriate, because, in-game here, there's substantial debate about whether being human is a good thing at all. (Reference William S Burroughs and Carlos Castaneda, in different ways.)
    Yup...AMERICAN Wizards...this ain't no bloody Hogwarts.
    Precisely, although I think we see that in slightly different ways.
    Posted By: Robert BohlI'm not sure Corruption is what you want, though. There're a lot of things you'redoingwhen you gain those points that aren't quite corruptiony. Plus, Corruption is used by like a billion and one games. If you aren't married to it I'd consider it again.
    I'm using a different definition of "corruption." This is "corruption" in the sense that steel is corrupted by rust. It's a causality thing, not based on intentions or feelings at all. (In a word, it's karma, but that word has been beat all to hell by people who think it's something else.)
  • If it's "corruption as in rusting," then how about the term "annealing" or similar?

I'm really with some of the others, though: come up with a different term pair that's more in keeping with what it really means in all applications.
  • Posted By: Robert BohlThe four things you get them for are about restoring breakages or making things whole.
    Americans don't fix things, we buy new ones. Bigger, stronger, faster, shinier, higher-tech, and more disposable than ever before... whether we need to or not. It's Progress, baby, which is the opposite of Obsolescence.
  • Inspiration? It's what Legends of Alyria uses.

Ralph and Ron: As a personal request, can you knock it off with the America-bashing? It makes me feel uncomfortable and angry.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanInspiration? It's what Legends of Alyria uses.

Ralph and Ron: As a personal request, can you knock it off with the America-bashing? It makes me feel uncomfortable and angry.

yrs--
    --Ben
    Ben: Shit, man, I love this country; love, am deeply proud of, often perplexed by, and occasionally infuriated by it in the same way that one might love and be proud of, perplexed by, and infuriated with a cherished family member or a life-long friend. I didn't intend my comment as America-bashing at all. If it came off that way, I sincerely apologize for not expressing myself more clearly.
  • That wasn't bashing Ben...that was celebrating...
  • Posted By: Marshall BurnsI'm using a different definition of "corruption." This is "corruption" in the sense that steel is corrupted by rust. It's a causality thing, not based on intentions or feelings at all. (In a word, it's karma, but that word has been beat all to hell by people who think it's something else.)
    Except steel isn't usually spoken of as being corrupted by rust (at least in any definition I've every heard of), it's corroded or even eroded by rust.
  • Hm, a causality thing, eh, Marshall?
    Your imagery makes me think of sociopathic behavior hollowing someone out - - whatever was human inside them is scooped out by destructive or dominating acts and is either replaced with something else, or nothing is left behind.
    Personally, I'm intrigued/curious as to why you chose America in particular for these guys (and Ben Franklin? Interesting); the Americanism that can accompany that in play, in discussion (obviously), and so on is an annoying side effect of that choice, but it sounds intriguing.
    People with low Corruption sound like earnest, starry-eyed idealists, in a good way - - they can't bear to treat something else that's living and precious like some tool or whatever to be manipulated and thrown away; am I right? That gives me visions of Emerson, Thoreau, the transcendentalists in general... awesome!
  • If it's 'American' Wizards, you can't get too much use out of the word Freedom, even if it isn't strictly correct in this context. The classical antonym, purity, has already been suggested.

Oh, and 'eroded' refers to wearing down by natural forces such as wind and rain, which isn't what rust is about. Rusting is a chemical process where the iron combines with oxygen to produce an oxide. A better term there would have been 'Oxidised'. But if you're dead set on using metal as an analogy here, try 'Smelting'. This is the process of extracting pure metal from its ore, ready to be cast into its final form.

-Ash
  • unless you cancel them out with, um, un-corruption points. Which you get when you perform acts of healing, repair, charity, or creation.
    Thinking along the lines of the specific action needed to receive "un-corruption" points, and staying away from the possible quagmire of a counterpoint to "corruption Points" I came up with these possibilities.

Altruist Points
    Penance Points
    Peace Points
    Progress Points
    Activism Points
    Samaritan Points
    Virtue Points
    Benefactor Points
    Yang Points
    Excellence Points
    Temperance Points
    Merit Points
    Charity Points
    Mercy Points
    Goodwill Points
    Absolution Points
    Contrition Points
    Purgation Points
  • Redemption was my first thought.

My second thought involved lunch, so not much further use.
  • Corrosion...I think I like the sound of that better than corruption...
  • Since your dealing with kids in school you could take the light hearted sliding scale between
    ThuggeryStraight edge
  • Freedom/Transcendence vs. Grounding/Community

I like the idea that both of these will sound positive, if it's an argument between people who each think they're right.
  • Liberty/Rights vs Responsibility?
  • Posted By: Zac in Davis
    People with low Corruption sound like earnest, starry-eyed idealists, in a good way - - they can't bear to treat something else that's living and precious like some tool or whatever to be manipulated and thrown away; am I right? That gives me visions of Emerson, Thoreau, the transcendentalists in general... awesome!
    Precisely! Emerson & Thoreau are also American wizards in the game's canon. Others include William S. Burroughs, Nikola Tesla, Walt Whitman, and Jackson Pollack.
    Posted By: OddsAreSince your dealing with kids in school you could take the light hearted sliding scale between
    Thuggery<----|----->Straight edge
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. People in college. A little more Unseen University and Shab-al-Hiri Roach, and less Hogwarts.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm considering Charisma. Like "Corruption," it is etymologically perfect, but no gamer in the world will get it at first.
    For some reason, I like that.
  • What about clarity or focus?
  • edited June 2009
    Since they are wizards, I'd go for something al/chemical like Distillation or Decantation.
  • The first thing that popped into my head was catharsis - mostly as used by the Greeks and the Neoplatonists rather than modern Freudian psychoanalysis.
  • Corruption/Integration

Corruption/Integrity

Dissolution/Integration

Dissolution/Integrity

Sinistral/Dextral
  • Oooh, catharsis. That's better than charisma. I think I like it.
  • I would say "Structure", since it is the goal of Anti-entropic actions. I like Grounding and Community if it is more about structuring groups of people.