Game Design Concepts - online course

edited June 2009 in Story Games
Following a previous Stuff to Watch, I'm about to sign up for this course in game design:

http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/

It's entirely free, apart from buying the tutor's book.

Anyone else in?

Comments

• How do the classes work? Are they live?

My biggest concern is the time. Noon GMT is 5pm EST my time. Which I wouldn't be able to do.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm signed up and looking forward to reading the book and learning more about design principles outside our community.

John, the blog posts are put up at that time, you don't actually have to be there at that moment since there aren't "class sessions" as such.
  • As far as I can tell, the classes are mostly uploaded lectures:

"Posts appear on the blog Mondays and Thursdays each week at noon GMT. Discussions and sharing of ideas happen on a continual basis."

I understand those who register will have access to extra course materials, but just subscribing to the blog should be interesting.
  • I've registered for the class, but I haven't purchased the books yet. I'm going to wait until the first couple of lectures, I think.
  • I just registered and purchased the book. I have no expectations. But very curious.
  • Apparently, registered people can be assigned to a 'group'. Eric (and anyone else), are you interested in getting tagged as a storygamer?
  • Sure, Joe, you can group me up.
  • Don't discount the value of being in a group of non S-G folks. I'm looking to learn, and the best way for me to do that is to get as many viewpoints and experiences as possible.
  • I had been debating doing it, but I guess signing up can't hurt. I'm up for being tagged a storygamer.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, Ryan. I don't know if this focuses discussion, or means we end up sharing projects, or...

I've asked on the blog what 'groups' are for.
  • i signed up for this and got the books from the NYPL. traded a few emails with the guy last month and he reiterated that it's really not going to showcase rpg - which is fine with me. glad to hear that others here are signing onboard.
  • edited June 2009
    Nice one. I've no problem with a lack of RPGs in the syllabus. Casual videogames and those nifty German boardgames have been big influences, recently.
  • i haven't been able to find anywhere if there's going to be a forum on the site (or if there's one presently?) does anyone know?
  • Shreyas and I signed up, you can tag us as Story Gamers if the spirit so moves you.
  • I signed up a while ago. My copy of Challenges for Game Designers arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet.
  • I signed up a little while ago, and joined a group with a few local designer friends, but haven't really followed it since. Started reading the book, but that's about it so far. We'll see where it goes, I guess.
  • I am signed up, booked and rarin' to go. The book seems a little facile. I hope the class makes up for it.
  • I'm signing up but only going to be a semi passive follower, as I'm in my test-season for the semester for the next couple of months.
  • Thanks for the link to the OP. I've signed up as well and shared the love.
  • I signed up, and I have read through one of the recommended, and almost finished the main text.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. The text is focused on video game design, but it approaches it from non-digital angle. The recurring theme is that video games are Games, and a good video game has virtually nothing to do with polygons, shaders or physics engines; to build a good video game, you must first understand what makes a good game. The "Challenges" (exercises at the end of each chapter) have really impressed me. Just one example: Design a paper-and-pencil RPG for a middle school classroom. It should teach WWII.
  • Did you get some kind of response back when you signed up? I sent an email to sign up but haven't heard anything back.
  • I will sign up tonight and I just ordered the textbook (will get it middle of next week, so I might have some catch-up work to do).
  • Posted By: sageDid you get some kind of response back when you signed up? I sent an email to sign up but haven't heard anything back.
    I did not.
  • I got a response back.
    Welcome! Your email was received and you are now registered. I'll be interested to see your reaction to the course and whether the content is helpful on your current project.
    That was on May 6th, though.
  • I also got a response back. Today. After registering today.
  • Well, at least that's confirmed activity. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I signed up. Book ordered from Amazon Barnes & Noble Online. waiting. If someone's forming a group, count me in.
  • It certainly looks interesting. I signed up though I'm on vacation for 2 of the weeks. I will have to see about picking up the book via Amazon.
  • I sign up for this, see ya all there?

Hoping I get my books from Amazon soon!

There is over a 1000 people signed up for this course.

WOW

SteveEG
  • The first post is up.
  • Posted By: ophidian_flux
    There is over a 1000 people signed up for this course.
    Bloody hell. I think I'll run a course that requires people to buy my book, too.

Graham
  • edited June 2009
    I registered last week, sent a follow-up e-mail on noon of the day the class started, and then bought the books later that afternoon. Today, I got an e-mail stating that since he didn't receive my original registration e-mail (which was before the deadline), I wouldn't be allowed to register for the course (which means I will have no access to the discussions or the wiki). Kind of a disappointment. Did anyone else have this problem?
  • He said a couple of days ago, that you should have forwarded him the original email, which has the earlier date, instead of sending him a new one.
  • There is a lot of noise on the wiki. Way too much for me to keep track of in my daily routine, yeesh.
  • I registered for the class when it first showed up on Stuff to Watch, but I didn't get my wiki login until yesterday. I guess the backlog is pretty severe.

I ordered the book from Amazon (the wife has Amazon Prime, so no shipping fees) and I've read the first lecture. So far so good. I'm really loving the guy's appreciation for Greg Costikyan.
  • He cites Costikyan as the first person to make game design a *thing*. Is that true? Weren't rec.games.frp.advocacy and the Gaming Outpost and maybe even the Forge full of people discussing theory in hard terms before Greg's essay?
  • Seems there's a gap in knowledge regarding internet forums and discussions, in part because of the problems using these as references.

Making claims is easy, knowing ALL the relevant information regarding one's claims, not so easy. Yet people still make claims.
  • Posted By: Adam DrayHe cites Costikyan as the first person to make game design a *thing*. Is that true? Weren't rec.games.frp.advocacy and the Gaming Outpost and maybe even the Forge full of people discussing theory in hard terms before Greg's essay?
    My reading of "To me (and I’m sure others will disagree), this essay is the turning point when game design started to become its own field of study." is that Costikyan's essay was a milestone indicating the development of serious thought and formal study of game design, not that Costikyan was the first to do it.

(If that was what he meant, he'd be remiss not to mention Chris Crawford's The Art of Computer Game Design, which was published in 1982 and was cited in Costikyan's essay.)
  • I dunno. "A milestone" is very different than "the turning point." I don't even know if he's wrong, but I'd like to understand why he believes this. I guess that's what the forum is for. My text book hasn't arrived so I obviously haven't read the homework, either; it could be explained in there, too.
  • Turning Point doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done before, to me it doesn't necessarily mean either that this is what lead to the change, but that he sees that after this point in time that the deluge had begun?

Anyway, you can email him, he seems quite nice, or ask on the blog.