Let me tell you all about Danger Patrol

edited June 2009 in Actual Play
I played Danger Patrol at GPNW. It was heaps of fun. John has himself a real contender here for most awesome game ever.

If you like pulp sci fi action adventure with radio-controlled red apes from Jupiter, daring heroes, rocket cars careening out of control, rayguns, bubble helmets, and all things generally atomic, this is a game for you. It's definitely a game for me. Bonus points that it strategically leaves out some of the uglier pulp elements best left in the 1930s and 40s.

I found it fast, engaging, collaborative, packed with color, just fiddly enough, and did I mention fast?

Here's what it's like when you play.

Everyone plays a character, like in roleplaying games. Your character is a member of Danger Patrol, founded to protect Rocket City. Rocket City, by the way, is where everyone went when Earth was lost to the nefarious atomic Wars. It's on Mars. Mars, like Venus and Jupiter and the other planets, can support life just fine.

Your character, as I was saying, is made up of two character cards, not unlike the click and lock from Capes. Each card is half a sheet of paper (like a page of Primetime Adventures!). One card is your character's Style, and the other is his or her Role.

Choose one from six styles: Atomic, Mystic, Psychic, Alien, Two-Fisted and Robot. Style is not unlike race in D&D. It gives you a couple cool powers. For example, my guy's style was Atomic! I had a force field I could use to negate damage.

Role is like character class. Choose one from Agent, Commando, Daredevil, Detective, Explorer, Flyboy, Professor and Warrior. Your role determines which stat is your best, and it gives you a couple special abilities. My guy's role was Professor, so my professor trait was d12, and I could do more damage to technological threats. I could also do this crazy thing where I could support another character by coming up with a "that's it! cross the streams!" kind of solution.

Every role card has all the other role types listed on it. Like I mentioned, the role you choose gets a d12. Then you assign dice to the others, deciding what other things your character is good at. My professor was pretty good at Flyboy, Commando and Warrior. Not a real stay-in-the-lab kind of guy.

In play, you roll the appropriate ability (GM says which) when you want to do stuff. Getting a 4 or better delivers a hit to the threat you're facing. Maybe I say, "Professor Bradbury shuts off the electronet autopilot and corkscrews the rocket car past the stopped traffic, racing toward the out-of-control citizen." And John would say, "that's flyboy."

If you want to deliver more hits at once (and sometimes you really do), you can opt for Danger Dice. You describe the danger in what you're doing (other players can chip in) and take extra dice to roll. Maybe I say, "Bradbury's desperate to reach that plummeting car, so he cuts really close to some of the buildings." Maybe Lukas says, "Watch that you don't push the engine too far, Bradbury. It's due for a tune up."

When your dice don't come up 4+, you take danger, and there are consequences to face. Everyone has a danger meter, and you track danger on it left to right. When you accumulate it, sometimes you get extra moves and power-ups and stuff. But it also makes you vulnerable to greater harm.

So we all make our guys. I'll let the others tell you about theirs. I was Clive Bradbury, Atomic Professor.

We started out the game with John framing the crew soaring over Rocket City in Bradbury's rocket car. Then out of nowhere, red apes from Jupiter! They hurl down from the sky, landing on the cars of Rocket city's helpless citizens and wreaking havoc! Oh no!

Then we immediately do a "last week on," which is kind of like "next week on" in that other game. Everyone describes a moment that gives the GM story fuel. Like someone says, "Surely you realize that if we take this sacred idol from its pedestal the apes will seek revenge," and someone else describes their character in a fight with a rival from Jupiter (that's where the commies are).

After that? Well, we do our best to save Rocket City and protect the people from harm.

Crazy fun. Crazy I tell you. Make sure you hound John to finish it.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I played Danger Patrol with John at GPNW1 when it was a Fate hack. I did not hound him but I'm sure I said something like "this is amazing, you totally need to put this out there." He seems to have made a bunch of changes and now it's even better. I don't know if he wants hounding but I'd love to help play test the current version until he feels he wants to make it more widely available in whatever form he decides to go with.

I played Dr Nemo, (hey, my brain froze up momentarily!), Two-Fisted Explorer of the eleven worlds of the known system, swaggering adventurer extraordinaire, and a man who never saw a danger that couldn't be most ably met by a swift punch in the kisser. He also had an eerily similar speech pattern to our resident Atomic Professor.

Dr. Nemo got to help drive away one of the Jupiterian red apes with some handy trade goods we happened to have in the trunk of our Hudson 5000: purple Jupiterian bananas! Those monkeys can't resist the stuff! He also used a Venusian artifact to reveal the nefarious invisible zeppelin of the Crimson Republic.

The two design features that stood out to me most, I think, were:

1) The "Danger dice" that echo helping/gift dice or fan mail from other games but that come with mandated color and with additional risk so they aren't strictly additive in their potency. Every narrated Danger die is gold Color adding to the overall narrative, promoting active listening and engagement, and giving the GM immediate grist for Threat ideas.

2) "Damage" that adds both risk and power as the session progresses, in a way vaguely similar to the way DRYH does with Exhaustion. This part needs a little tweaking but it already works pretty well for the chosen genre. I'd been wrestling with Fate-like mechanics that do this for a couple years now and now I can scrap them all and steal from this skeleton.

I really liked everyone's characters. Blake's robot "Rusty" in particular had me alternately in stitches and nodding recognition of Noir-y memes.

This group was *on*; the endowments, creative action, and colorful one-liners were through the roof. I find John's ability to take a seed of prepped material and roll with whatever everyone else brings to the mix, particularly with the aforementioned "last week on," really inspirational. I try to do the same with groups I run things for, but seldom with such great results. Danger Patrol seems like it will make that easier to do than with many systems...

Thanks everyone for such a memorable and fun session.
  • Danger Patrol is indeed a marvelous thing, and recreating the experience of it has come perilously close to being something that ordinary humans might do in the comfort of their own home, using simple materials they may already have! The current mechanics have stolen a number of jeweled idols from the temples of a wide variety of other roleplaying systems, and tossed them together in a teeming collection that in lesser hands might have resembled one of the more seedy back ally antique shops of Hackney, but in fact is trending toward the British Museum. However it is still very much under construction.

One aspect of the system as it is emerging that Matt did not mention is its high degree of physicality. As the players encounter threats, such as the above mentioned crimson apes, plummeting rocket cars, and exploding traffic beacons, index cards are placed on the table describing these threats, and the GM and players move them around and place tokens and dice on them to tie what is going on in the fiction to what is going on mechanically. This tactile, almost boardgamey aspect plays no small part in lending excitement to what is going on, not to mention helping keep everybody at the table on the same page as to what is going on fictionally. This is a key aspect I think, just as much as the evocative Danger Dice mechanic.

But most importantly, the game has solidified to the point that people that are not John can take a stab at running it, as was proved not once but twice this weekend. This is a good thing, and should be pushed along.
  • edited June 2009
    I was in the other group ran by "Bizarro Jhon Harpr" (Wilhelm Fitzpatrick). I played Two-Fisted Professor Braintree (of the Braintree Institute of course). I would describe Danger Patrol as, "Gymnastics for the Imaginatron." Players and gm are constantly tasked with coming up with new feats of derring-do, threats and dangers. It was madcap over-the-top pulpy goodness. I think my character was also the only one to max out his Danger meter, which earned me an upgrade that was very handy in landing the final blow against Dr. Simian!

It really is true what Professor Braintree says: "With enough Danger, anything is possible!"

Thanks again John and Wilhelm for bringing this great game to GPNW09!
  • Indeed. Danger Patrol was, as I expected, right down my alley. When Matt says "fast"? He really means it. The system flies. There's a tradeoff, of course--if you like fiddly bits and mechanical tactics and different stats for your enemies that you can work with, this won't gel for you as much (though there's some of it). Enemies only differ in the number of hits it takes to dispose of them, and in that they're the same as any kind of issue going on (such as civilians in need of rescue, a nuclear plant about to explode, or what have you). But! It's not only fast, it's so streamlined for the GM that I don't think anyone is going to be too intimidated to run the game. You should be able to read it once and bam! Have a great, fast and furious session.

Now, the enemies and other threats don't get to attack unless you miss one of your rolls. If some of your dice come up 3 or under, the GM gets to inflict a purely fictional consequence. Don't like it? Let your hero interpose herself to soak up the damage. For example, you score a partial miss with your attack on the ape, and now the ape swats an airplane out of the air, killing the people on board. You've got a choice here: say "alright, whatever" or jump in the way, save the civilians, but take damage (starting from the lowest box and working your way up, FATE style).

When all your dice show a 3 or lower? That's when the GM really gets to hose you. And if you take damage to mitigate the hosing this time, you take it square wherever your danger meter is, which could mean instant evaporation. This kind of system for determining light/heavy damage for you and the opposition directly from just your one roll and based on player choice? Genius. Also: it will make you want to take more danger dice (which are D6s) to make total failures less likely, thereby ramping up the danger all the time! :) That whole interplay just works like Tinker to Evers to Chance.

My character in the game was Jennie Lightstep, a Mystic Daredevil. I loved the combination because, although unusual, it allowed me to use her Teleport ability alongside her acrobatics (as in Nightcrawler). Cool stuff. You start with only a couple of powers, keeping things simple, and over time you gain more for more interesting combos. I jumped across rows of flying cars, wrestled with a crimson ape, and in the end, when fighting with my nemesis (she was making the moves on my man, Andrew Mentem), I lured her sentry drone into firing at me while I was directly in front of her, then teleported right behind her. Good times.
  • I played in the same game as Matt and Christian, and it was a total blast. Everyone at the table brought the ruckus in the best possible way, and the game itself really clicked almost immediately. Kudos to John; he's got a winner here.

Long live Andrew Mentem, Psychic Agent!
  • So when can I get it? 'Cause man do I want it.
  • That session was as perfect a game of Danger Patrol as can be, I think. You guys brought the major gaming mojo.

Dr. Nemo and Professor Bradbury were a great scientific duo and their dueling "dramatic glasses removal" was so fun to watch. The flashback interlude scene to Professor Bradbury's science class cracked me up, too ("The sign up sheet for the Danger Patrol ride-along is up on the bulletin board.")

I was really moved by the plight of Rusty Bukkit against the nefarious Anti-Robot League. Blake's portrayal of the mechanical man was both comical and touching, in turn. It was cool to see Andrew Mentem step in as Rusty's trusted human ally against the League. Also, Andrew and Jennie's love-triangle with the Crimson Republic super agent, Natasha Ganymedeska, dropped like a bomb by Christian during the "Previously On" segment.

Thanks to you all for playtesting, giving feedback, and bringing the fun.

I plan to make a few tweaks and put together a playtest package this weekend. I'll announce here and on my blog when it's ready.
  • edited June 2009
    You know that thing where you're playing a game to be celebrate the setting and how great it is and fully engage with the settings musky aroma but when you get there the actual setting is inert, frozen, locked behind glass with the game text and the game master like two security guards taking turns poking at you and telling you how awesome this setting is, the one that you're not allowed to sully with your dirty peasant player hands?

Well, Danger Patrol is the opposite of that thing. It's the first unabashedly simulationist facilitating game I've played where I'm like, "Wow, I've got a fucking right to dream. Awesome." I mean, I was a player and I got to jump into a lake filled with carnivorous squid because I put the squid right there.
  • Matt, this is a great overview for those of us who couldn't get into a DP game - thanks!

Quick Thread Sidebar
    John, are you morally opposed to donations for your creative efforts? If you put up a PayPal button on your website, I'd race everyone else to be the first to float some dough your way for all the amazing projects you're providing to an appreciative public for FREE. As in, "Hell yeah, I'd like to make an investment in the creative dynamo that is John Harper so he can keep cranking out the insane goodness." Mustang, Ghost/Echo, Lady Blackbird, now this. Dude. C'mon, let us share a little love.

Just a thought. Pshaw me as you see fit.
    End Quick Thread Sidebar
  • This thread now makes we want to play Danger Patrol.

Larp Danger Patrol.

Have babies with Danger Patrol.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinHave babies with Danger Patrol.
    Test Explorer.

How dangerous is that?

Can anybody say why it is more dangerous than Ryan expects?
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinThis thread now makes we want to play Danger Patrol.

Larp Danger Patrol.

Have babies with Danger Patrol.
    GM-less Danger Patrol
  • I am so glad to see this game emerge once more from my past longings for it back when I was playing Talislanta and slavering over Shooting Iron's promise of Pulpy Love(tm).
  • edited July 2009
    I'm a bit late to the love-fest, since I'm trying to beat a deadline this week, but I wanted to chime in, however briefly.

First, thank you to John for making space for me. Hugely appreciated. You're a true gentleman, sir.

I can't say enough good about this game.
    When I played the FATE version back in 2007, it was one of the best RP experiences I'd ever had. The new version is even better. Despite the late hour, I felt energized and engaged all the way through. Character generation was fun and easy. The "last week on Danger Patrol..." opening clips set an amazing tone. John threw the action right at us from the opening moments. Seeing the danger cards multiplying on the table provided delicious tension along with a sketchy topography for my imagination to latch onto. Very cool. We were blasted with a giant firehose of Danger! pretty much straight through.

This is how awesome Danger Patrol is: my character, Robot Detective Rusty Bukkit, had his highest score (d12) in Detective, and my second highest score (d10) in Agent (I had these ideas of him going into disguise). I never rolled either skill, but still felt totally protagonized and effective.

If I have any critique to offer, it would perhaps be a suggestion to new players to take as many non-charge cost powers as possible. I took Steely Gaze for my Detective ability (Of course! I was a Robot), but in retrospect would have enjoyed it more if I'd taken the free power that let me help my fellows with evaluative insights. Charges seemed hard to come by. This is a minor nit, however, and doubtless a more savvy player might have twigged to this without needing the nudge.

I can't say enough good about my fellow players. Just amazing.

Lukhas's Psychic Agent was the very definition of panache, and his dramatic romantic clinch (backlit, in my imagination) with Jenny Lightstep produced one of the best lines of the game: "I love you, but we can never be together so long as there is Danger...!"

Matt G.'s surprisingly academic Two-fisted Explorer Dr. Nemo not only had a fantastic line about the alien idol ("That idol is sacred to the Crimson Apes. If we take it, they will be enraged and seek revenge. (beat) Let's take it, anyway." His scholarly exchanges with Matt W.'s Atomic Professor were right out of the Lexicon of Awesome:

MW: "My God! I see it now!"

MG: "You mean...?"

MW: "Yes! If I can just adjust the phosgenic electron flow...!"

MG (doubtful): "But couldn't that cause a lethal chain reaction...?"

MW: "There's no time! We have to take that chance!"

...and so forth. I'm really not doing it justice. These guys were amazing.

Christian's Mystic Daredevil Jenny Lightstep was all over the map, daredevil-may-caring through enough Danger to make poor Rusty's opponents look like a kindergarten birthday party. Christian brought out Jenny's dazzling smile and introduced a sweet element of romance with Lukhas's character. Much fun to watch, especially when the violins were playing.

Matt W.'s Atomic Professor Clive Bradbury stole the show for me. I never got tired of Matt stripping his glasses off and exclaiming (in what I took as a light Boston accent) stuff like, "My Gahd! It's an invisible zeppelin!" His lecture to his class about the perils of Atomic Energy was a classic, culminating in the offhand mention of the Danger Patrol ridealong. Holy fuckin' shit. When I say "classic," I mean Atomic levels of pure, radioactive AWESOME. I've been taking my glasses off all week and making "My Gahd!" comments to the wife, who either finds them hilarious or thinks I should be committed. I think I was guilty of riffing off Matt simply because he nailed the SF-pulp genre-appropriate mannerism so cleanly. I dropped out of character in those moments. Interestingly, I don't remember Matt using anything from his "Atomic" trope except for maybe a sensory power. He smoked his pipe and whipped up technological solutions all over the place, including...the amazing X-ray machine. It sees through matter!

*sigh* I said this comment would be brief, and I'm a fucking liar. But this was the perfect storm of gaming for me. If anything, my own level of play had to rise (considerably) to meet the challenge. I have to thank everyone for a hugely enjoyable experience. I love this game with red-blooded, pulsating violence and hope John finishes it soon.
  • Since its not clear to me after looking around...

This is or is not a development of the game Danger Patrol by Shooting Iron Design? I can't even tell if that game was ever published but back 2003 or so it shows up in rpg.net and a few lists of pulp games.

If not, are you sure that no copyright exists since this is also a pulp game? Not trying to muddy the waters, just genuinely confused.

Thanks
  • Shooting Iron is/was John's studio, so I'm sure he doesn't have to worry about getting sued by himself. Besides, John Fogerty already beat that rap.

Also, this is such a love-in with himself that I doubt throwing money at Harper would make him finish and/or publish the game any sooner. As with Stranger Things or any other back-burner, slow-roast project (and I've got more than a few)... it'll get done when it's done. And we can enjoy playing it in the meantime, yeah? I mean, I have no doubt that John will post his character sheets and a one-page rules summary at some point and then we can go to town, done or not.
  • Blake, you were a rock star in this game. Ironically, Rusty the robot brought a humanity to the game that helped it rise above its usual action set-piece tropes. The issues of bigotry we touched on with the Anti-Robot League were moving while still staying true to the "light" tone of an adventure serial. Kudos.

I confess I made a key rules error in this session: Each player is supposed to start with one power token. This would have allowed everyone to use their powers right out of the gate (I know you had plans for your Detachable Flying Head). As it was, I didn't miss the powers all that much (which is interesting playtest data), but I am sad that we didn't get to see Rusty's Steely Gaze in action.
  • Scott: As Jon said, I'm that Shooting Iron guy. Danger Patrol is my constant back-burner game (first created in 1996!). This version will actually see distribution, though. First as a free playtest kit online and then as a finished book(let) of some kind.

Matt Klein is testing out the materials tonight. Assuming that goes smoothly, I'll post the links and such this weekend so all y'all can get busy with the danger.
  • Posted By: John HarperAssuming that goes smoothly, I'll post the links and such this weekend so all y'all can get busy with the danger.
    Awesome. Looks like my Mountain Witch game is skipping a week with a player out, so I need something to run at SGBoston this Wed.
  • As an aside on the power tokens, in the Bizarro Danger Patrol game at the next table, the players all (without realizing it) selected mostly non-token driven powers, which resulted in them accumulating piles of power tokens for which they had no use. Someone at the table (can't remember who) suggested there should be a non-power generic use for a power token.
  • Yeah, I agree, Wil.

I think it's this: Spend a power token and say how your Style lets you do something cool and superhuman. Take a bonus d10 to your action roll, right now.
  • Hi John,
    That makes sense. Its just everything here is a little veiled and when I searched it was even more confusing. Glad to here things are goind well. I'll definitely check it out when its available.
  • Posted By: John HarperSpend a power token and say how your Style lets you do something cool and superhuman. Take a bonus d10 to your action roll, right now.
    Given that powers like teleport do the very same thing (and cost a power slot), maybe a D8 would be better for generic usage. :) Or else, the generic use also raises your danger by one. Or something.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, I have the same concern as Christian. I think "generic" power token generated bonus dice should never trump actual powers. I personally think they should always be d6's. That way you are encouraged to set up uses of your powers to get the tasty d10's and d8's.
  • Ah, good point. Noted!
  • edited July 2009
    it allowed me to use her Teleport ability alongside her acrobatics (as in Nightcrawler)
    We had a Nightcrawler in our game too! Joe's Mercia was a teleporting daredevil / ape-confounder.

Danger Patrol was a riot. It feels like John is really onto something. Here are its killer features:

The style/role cards are wonderfully simple and inspiring: you pick two, check a couple powers, and blam! you're done. In so many games you have to go through some kind of process to reach the end, choosing from a complex series of menus to arrive hopefully at the cool place. DP takes you to the cool place immediately and then lets you dig into how you got there, reskinning your guy to your heart's content. I really, really like this. I might have liked it too much; I got caught up in my guy so much that I forgot to listen at some key points.

It also feels like you could reskin the whole game simply by swapping in new character cards. Superheroes would be a natural. Pulp Fantasy ooh! (styles: civilized, barbarian, educated, alluring, cunning, blessed, sinister, demon-touched .. roles: warrior, magician, thief, commander, merchant, sailor, nobleman, lorekeeper...)

The danger dice are hot like Mercury's day side. There's a dynamic that emerges in Feng Shui or Beast Hunters where you kinda have to take the temperature of the table and figure out its willingness to buy into over-the-top narration and then calibrate your actions accordingly. That's very fun, but I think that the danger dice could be the next step in the evolution of "extreme narration games." (for lack of a better term.) I really like how DP explicitly encodes risk and reward into a fast and simple mechanic.

We went balls-out with the danger dice in our little con game. I don't think we had a roll with less than four. This was okay by me, as I'd purchased a hard-to-kill type power that let my guy shrug off vaporization and I wanted to see that in action. Plus, danger dice are fun. In a campaign game, I could see how you'd want to be a little more thrifty with them.

Finally, the game is supremely tactile and visual At the start of each turn, players received a single blue poker chip which they must spend during that turn to do a standard action. Danger often rewards players with extra actions, which are tracked by red poker chips, and which can be banked from scene to scene. The chips really help the table track who can do what when -- especially helpful at a crowded table with lots of actions in play.

The threat cards were another great touch -- a simple way of illustrating the situation and tracking threat levels. They inspired little self-portrait doodles from the players that were actually useful!

<my-guyism>

My guy Jonesy was an alien flyboy, a Stygian, a three-dimensional projection of a much more complex five-space entity that dwells in the celebration pits of True Pluto. Jonesy flew a manta-ray organo-tech ship that he'd bolted some rocket engines onto. The game let me improvise all kinds of stuff with Manta. When the Rocket City traffic matrix got fubared by the Crimson Apes, Jonesy quickly reprogrammed all Manta's fry with sheepdog instincts and then birthed an enormous cloud of them (Manta reproductive organs extend into hyperspace; the fry need to be comfortable in either environment). I took a wad of danger from that too -- childbirth is never a routine thing, especially under battlefield conditions! But I also contributed a bunch to the restoration of the matrix. Crazy fun!

Alas, at the end of our climactic battle, Jonesy was vaporized by the stellar-fury blast of the renegade Stygian family that wanted to adopt Jonesy's colleague Carbon. (Stygians cannot reproduce themselves; they can only adopt and uplift.) Jonesy's Stygian masters refused to reintegrate his three-dimensional projection, as Jonesy had not succeeded at his secret Stygian mission, which was to recruit Carbon into HIS family. Instead Jonesy's people reintegrated a different Stygian -- we all look the same to you -- and sent him off to rejoin Carbon and the rest of the Patrol.

</my-guyism>
  • Posted By: johnzoIt also feels like you could reskin the whole game simply by swapping in new character cards. Superheroes would be a natural. Pulp Fantasy ooh! (styles: civilized, barbarian, educated, alluring, cunning, blessed, sinister, demon-touched .. roles: warrior, magician, thief, commander, merchant, sailor, nobleman, lorekeeper...)
    This. THIS. Must happen.
  • Also: high-action Star Wars :)

Wookie Pilot! Rogue Jedi! Two-Bladed Sith! Oh my!

(My 5-year-old is currently watching Episode II, and the action on Coruscant, with diving along lines of spaceship traffic and so on, was just too reminiscent of our DP game to ignore.)
  • Posted By: John HarperMatt Klein is testing out the materials tonight. Assuming that goes smoothly, I'll post the links and such this weekend so all y'all can get busy with the danger.
    I have five players lined up tonight who have no idea what they're getting into - I am going to sit them around the table, put Danger Patrol in front of them, and then pull the pin on a whole evening of Massive Atomic Awesome. AP to follow.
  • Posted By: John HarperThis. THIS. Must happen.
    Something like this, perhaps:

• Christian: YES. Episode II may be a terrible movie, but the whole speeder chase on Coruscant is really cool and 100% Danger Patrol.

Jonathan: OMG yes. I think I'll have to go with DANGARIA, though, just because.
  • SSoD. Heh.

Or a Greek heroes thing where you're adding danger by tempting Fate and have a Hubris meter until the gods abandon you. ;)

What other kinds of meters or replacements for danger might there be? What lend themselves to the fantasy pulp genre? Maybe Danger is fine in most cases. Or generic Risk.

"What makes your attack on the Cyclops especially Risky?"
  • Posted By: johnzoWe had a Nightcrawler in our game too!
    The Shadow of Malakar was also a Mystic Daredevil (with teleport) -- clearly a winning combination!

I do agree about cost powers vs. non-cost powers -- having at least one thing you can do regularly without the need for a token is a very good idea.
  • I want desperately to play this game. Any chance a playtest document will be up before my group meets again on the 17th? This is a perfect fit for a friend's first time at story gaming.

-Michael
  • John said earlier he might have a playtest document up this weekend. God I hope so - I'm raring to play this game, too and this Monday will be my last chance for a few weeks. No pressure, John :)
  • edited July 2009
    I made progress today on the playtest doc, and got some good feedback from Matt Klein's playtest last night. Jon Walton has also given lots of good notes. So, yeah... I think I'll have an alpha kit ready to go by tomorrow evening.

I kind of went crazy and decided to make character sheets for every character combo possible (48 different sheets). A little excessive, but it should streamline character creation a lot, and the GM won't have to cut and print cards any more. :-)
  • Quite simply: YAY!

-Michael
  • Posted By: John HarperA little excessive, but it should streamline character creation a lot, and the GM won't have to cut and print cards any more. :-)
    Dude, having them be separate is way awesomer than together. I love the mix & match.
  • I was going to post an AP tonight but took advantage of a couple of friends coming over to play-test it again so I'll have two APs up as soon as I can get them written. The bottom line: the second session was more successful than the first (some learning curve in there but also other factors) but both were fun and all players were willing and/or eager to play again.

And John, I think having the separate Style and Role sheets is better, much as I'd hate that you went through all the effort to make the 48 combos, god bless ya. Players can more quickly scan the six and then the eight and think of combining them, rather than poring over 48 sheets. My second session went easier in part because I told them not to overthink their choices. I also told them they could switch their power selections if they really wanted to after we started playing so they weren't agonizing over those, too.
  • I got really excited when separate sheets were mentioned for character creation. That sounds really fun. I love that about Capes too.
  • To echo what others have said: I'm not going to print out and bring 48 character sheets to a game of Danger Patrol. I'm gonna have 1-2 copies of each of the 1/2 splats and let players mix and match their own combinations. Plus, if each one is a seperate sheet of paper in a PDF, I can figure out how to print out specific combinations (i.e. tell the printer to print pages 6 and 17 on the same page) if I end up needing to.
  • The new one-sheet character design looks really good, especially nice that it has the danger meter built in.

However, it's a good point that most groups aren't going to double up a lot. It's too much fun to see variety at the table, so you can get away with bringing only one card of each type, like JW says.

I liked it at GPNW that we had a wide representation of styles and roles.
  • Never fear! I'm actually doing the sheets both ways. Separate cards for each Style and Role in the main doc, and then an additional PDF with all the combo sheets.
  • edited July 2009
    Here's the new blank sheet design. You pick your Style and Role from the cards, then write in your two starting power choices and you're good to go.

http://www.dangerpatrol.com/dp09_blanksheet.pdf
  • awesome sheet!
  • Oh, duh. I just figured out how to keep the coolness of one big sheet and also the "pick your card" feel. Kind of obvious now that I've done it. :-)

• NICE. And you can retain the difference in quality of the Rocketpack for the Flyboy and Agent.

What are the Power and Action spots for?
  • If you have Power tokens and Action chips left at the end of a session, you can record the amounts there for next game.
  • Cool. Will that design support role cards at 4/ letter sheet? Because that would be nifty.
  • Stop distracting John with questions while he is trying to finish that playtest document! :)