Danger Patrol Cocktails

edited July 2009 in Story Games
The 1950s is the decade of cocktails. What are some good cocktails to serve in Rocket City?

Comments

• Just for fun, here's a real one:

A Walk on the Moon

2 oz blackberry schnapps
    1 oz vodka
    3 oz cola
    3 oz milk
  • edited July 2009
    I would also like ideas for the 48 cocktails named for the character combos.

Atomic Daredevil
    in a martini glass
    1.5 oz Vodka
    0.5 oz Dry Vermouth
    0.5 oz Midori (for atomic green color)

That's not nearly as daredevil-y as it could be, but I tried to make something I might actually drink. Maybe you can do better.
  • Bloody Martian Sunset

bourbon
    pomegranate juice
    slice of lime
    on the rocks
  • Two-fisted Detective

rye
    tumbler
  • That is my definition of "cocktail" usually, Matt. Had one last night, in fact. :)
  • Matt, I think you mean:

rye
    another cup
    more rye

...because then he would be two-fisting.
  • Pulpy Remains of the Crimson Republic After I Keep Repeatedly Punching Their Goons With My Robot Fists (aka Robot Warrior)

smashed fresh cherries
    hazelnut liquor (frex: Frangelico)
    shot of cold espresso to represent the motor oil running through my robot guts
    ice
  • Martian Ruin
    2 oz 151 Proof Rum
    1 oz Grenadine
    1 oz fresh lime juice
  • Posted By: John HarperI would also like ideas for the 48 cocktails named for the character combos.

Atomic Daredevil
    martini
    1.5 oz Vodka
    0.5 oz Dry Vermouth
    0.5 oz Midori (for atomic green color)

That's not nearly as daredevil-y as it could be, but I tried to make something I might actually drink. Maybe you can do better.
    And six drops of tabasco.
  • edited July 2009
    Disgraced Cosmonaut

1.5 oz vodka
    0.5 oz Tang

We actually drank that shit in college. Yeah.
  • The Harper

Two shots of single-malt Scotch
    A punch in the face by someone wearing a Danger Patrol ring
  • Atomic Bombshell

1.5 oz Vodka with an Atomic Fireball dropped in.

-B
  • Mystic Daredevil

2 oz Absinthe
    2 oz ice water with lemon
    2 hits of acid
    and a thin slice of ginger

(lime wedge and sugar optional)
  • Alien Professor

peach schnapps
    gin
    soda
    dash of bitters (to make it more professory)
  • Two-Fisted Agent

4.5 oz gin
    1.5 oz vodka
    0.75 oz Kina Lillet (or bitters)
    lemon peel
  • David Embury, the author of the definitive book on mixing drinks The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, lists the six classic cocktails. The proportions given are his preferred ratio. You may wish to reduce the portion of the base liquors somewhat, but they should remain the most prominent of your ingredients.

When he lists "American Whiskey" either Rye or Bourbon will work, depending on your personal taste. If you choose to use rye he insists on using an American rye, because Canadian whiskey is inferior to American, Scotch, and Irish whiskeys. The claim was based on Canada's laws concerning how whiskey is produced and labeled at the time. This may be dated information though.

Martini

* 7 parts English gin
    * 1 part French (dry) vermouth

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, twist lemon peel over the top and serve garnished with an olive, preferably one stuffed with any kind of nut.

Manhattan

* 5 parts American whiskey
    * 1 part Italian (sweet) vermouth
    * dash of Angostura bitters to each drink

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and serve garnished with a maraschino cherry.

Old Fashioned

* 12 parts American whiskey
    * 1 part simple syrup
    * 1-3 dashes Angostura bitters to each drink

In an old-fashioned glass, add bitters to simple syrup and stir. Add about 1 ounce of whiskey and stir again. Add two cubes of cracked, but not crushed, ice and top off with the rest of the whiskey. Twist lemon peel over the top and serve garnished with the lemon peel and a maraschino cherry.

Daiquiri

* 8 parts white Cuban rum
    * 2 parts lime juice
    * 1 part simple syrup

Shake with lots of finely crushed ice and strain well into a chilled cocktail glass.

Sidecar

* 8 parts Cognac or Armagnac
    * 2 parts lemon juice
    * 1 part Cointreau or triple sec

Shake vigorously with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon if desired.

Jack Rose

* 8 parts Applejack
    * 2 parts lemon juice
    * 1 part Grenadine

Shake vigorously with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon if desired.
  • Hi Will:

Join us in coming up with some new ones with a 1950s space-age theme!

Robot Agent

Vodka
    Kahlua
    Coffee

Serve cold in a martini glass with a 20 x 1/2 hex cap screw as garnish
  • Mystic Detective

3 parts ouzo
    2 parts tonic water
    dash of jagermeister

do not stir
    serve under black light
  • edited July 2009
    Based on the Aviation cocktail I had recently:

Atomic Flyboy
    * 1 1/4 oz solar gin
    * 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
    * juice of 1 irradiated lemon

Shake with ice, preferably by quickly flying around. Serve in a cocktail glass. Garnish with the fear of your foes, if desired.

If not, why the hell not?

Robot Flyboy
    Replace the lemon with a well-aged battery.
  • Posted By: JohnstoneMystic Detective

Well done sir
  • Posted By: Matt WilsonHi Will:

Join us in coming up with some new ones with a 1950s space-age theme!
    Uh, I guess missed the point of the thread. My take on what would be served in a fictional 1950's city, even one in space, is the classics.

I guess you could rename them. The Manhattan becomes the Martian, the side car becomes the booster stage, etc.
  • Posted By: WillHWhen he lists "American Whiskey" either Rye or Bourbon will work, depending on your personal taste. If you choose to use rye he insists on using an American rye, because Canadian whiskey is inferior to American, Scotch, and Irish whiskeys.
    Mr. Embury certainly has a point, and I generally go with his recommendations. Since the Earth was reduced to a smoldering atomic cinder 50 years ago, though, it has become very hard to get authentic American rye or bourbon. Even though our version is distilled in the Machine District here in Rocket City, we still call it bourbon (the processing center has some Kentucky soil brought on the first rocketships -- that's as close as we can get).
  • Posted By: Matt SnyderDisgraced Cosmonaut

1.5 oz vodka
    0.5 oz Tang

We actually drank that shit in college. Yeah.
    Ha! Us too! Nothing fucks you up faster, except maybe Vodka + Gatorade (which I'd include into a Danger Patrol cocktail but it's not a period beverage).

p.
  • The Alien Professor

.5 oz Yellow Lillet
    .5 oz Ginger Liqueur (I suggest Domaine De Canton)
    .5 oz Hennessy (or your preferred cognac)
    1 jigger Scotch Whiskey

Shake all with cubed ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a sliver of lychee fruit.

I'm drinking one now, and it's a clean, complex, and smokey drink. Nice for an evening of quiet contemplation on matters of foreign invasion.
  • Gods… Here I am a Danger Patrol fanboy and a booze-hound mixologist but far from my recipes and in the middle of another fourteen-hour work day. Fun to watch, but painful to not be able to particpate!
  • edited July 2009
    The Stygian Adept

mezcal
    bruised mint leaves
    jalapeno juice
    squid ink

danger
  • Psychic Detective
    "Don't worry ma'am, I'll get to the bottom of this"

Drink a big gulp out of a pint of guiness
    Fill a shot glass with white rum
    Drop the shot galss into the Guiness
  • (alright, just one from memory...)

Atomic Explorer - The Pomageddon

2 parts New Deal Vodka (ideally pomegranate infused)
    1 part Cointreau
    1 part POM pomegranate juice
    1/2 part simple syrup
    half a lime

cocktail shaker
    ice
    shake
    garnish with orange wedge and pinch of orange zest

drink to memories of earth
  • Wow... these are great.

Johnstone, I seriously need to drink with you some time.
  • edited July 2009
    Atomic Detective (actually playtested!):
    12 oz wheat beer, preferably Belgian Wit-style
    1oz Blue Curaçao
    Basically, a left-field boilermaker. Surprisingly tasty, despite the outlandish color.

Edit to add: garnish with a lemon slice. For bonus points, dye the lemon wedge with a droplet of blue food coloring.

Edit again to add: if you use Triple Sec instead of Blue Curaçao, you get a Subatomic Detective!
  • Danger Patrol cocktail party, anyone?
  • edited July 2009
    Winter on Ascraeus Mons

1 pony of Tanqueray Gin
    .5 oz Campari
    .5 oz Cherry Heering
    .5 oz Agave Syrup

Mix it and shake it with ice. You'll like it if you like yourself a fine Negroni (I sure do).

In the end it should come out the color of the red planet (red).

It looks like this:
    That's my lovely lady hand modeling.
  • Kevin,

We need to drink some time.
    Everything you've suggested sounds beautiful.
    I love anything with campari.
  • Kevin, you are winning. Hard.
  • Man am I thirsty right now.
  • Mystic Commando

In a highball glass, over ice:
    1 part vodka
    1 part coffee liqueur
    1 part cream
    fill with cola
  • edited July 2009
    Atomic Commando - Great Red Spot

2 parts Williams Pear Brandy
    1 part New Deal Vodka
    1 part Tuaca
    twist of blood orange

cocktail shaker
    ice
    shake
    rim martini glass with cinnamon
    garnish with a cherry

this drink will vaporize a crimson ape...
  • Nemo and Kevin are having a coast vs. coast awesome duel.
  • Detachable Robot Head

1 part espresso
    1 part Squirt
    1 part tequila

drink and repeat
  • The Barsoom Maid

6 ounces of Champagne
    2 ounces of Curacao
    Garnished with off world mint.
  • Matthew Gagan: Thought you'd want to know... the signature drink of our summer soiree tonight is your Atomic Explorer. Pictures coming later.
  • Cool! It's basically just a Cosmo variant - nothing too out there, but people seem to love 'em. I've made them for Halloween parties the last few years.

I'm dying to try a Winter on Ascraeus Mons...
  • Posted By: John HarperMatthew Gagan: Thought you'd want to know... the signature drink of our summer soiree tonight is your Atomic Explorer. Pictures coming later.
    When I saw the name my first thought was "Do I get to move my paperclip down the danger track if a drink one?"
  • You know, even as a mild drinker at best, this thread captivates me.
  • edited July 2009
    Booster Splashdown in the Seas of Venus

This one's a lot of work, but worth the reward for the showyness of it.

Fill a chilled pint glass (in this order) with:

1oz Midori
    3oz Prosecco (Muscat and Gewurztraminer work equally well)
    10oz Ginger beer (this is slightly less than a can, if you dump a whole can in you won't have room for the rest of the drink)

stir gently so as not to excite the carbonation in the ginger beer. Should end up a lovely light spring green color (like the 2nd planet herself).

Next, fill a shot with Amaretto and top off with Bacardi 151. Light the surface of the shot on fire.

Carefully (and quickly, that mother's on fire) holding the shot by it's sides, drop it into the pint glass with an auspicious splash. Be forewarned that the rim of the shot glass can be hot and should be treated as such.

Enjoy.
  • The Atomic Explorer, in person:

Thanks, Matthew. It was a big hit.
  • Stygian Agent

1.5 oz single malt scotch
    1 oz Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
    dash of bitters
    Shake with ice, then strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
    Sip, then smile coldly at your unsuspecting fellow drinkers.

Stygian Flyboy

When you come from Pluto, just about everywhere else is too darn hot! That's why the Stygian pilots like this drink.

2 oz dark rum
    4-6 oz hot ginger beer
    dash of lime juice
    serve in a highball glass over ice, garnish with a twist of lime.

Note: these recipes originally called for the hell-root Yng-vaar, described in the Patrol Manual as "inky black, mind-expanding, nerve-deadening, and addictive." Sadly, Yng-vaar is illegal and nearly unobtainable in Rocket City, so we have to make do.
  • Posted By: John HarperSince the Earth was reduced to a smoldering atomic cinder 50 years ago, though, it has become very hard to get authentic American rye or bourbon.
    All it would take is a time machine and a reckless disregard for consequences!

Now I kinda wanna run that...
  • I think it was Larry Niven who described The Busted Kneecap - bourbon on dry ice. The dry ice carbonates and removes water from the bourbon, concentrating it. Be careful drinking - don't let dry ice touch flesh! We actually tried these once. Once!
  • edited March 2011
    TGIF! I'm designing Kua-toa-esque mutants and their Tritonian mad scientist master and drinking this experiment:

Giove Gamma Booster

1 part Cognac
    1 part Tuaca
    1 part Cointreau
    1 part fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    1 part simple syrup
    splash of Calvados
    lime wedge garnish

It's rather good, by Giove.