I want to interview you about using iStock in your designs (RPG or elsewhere)

edited August 2009 in Directed Promotion
So I'm writing an article for iStockphoto's main page that's inspired by the stock-photo-cover sharing that happened over in this thread. It's all about interviewing designers about how they've used stuff from iStock (preferably how they've used an image multiple ways, or how multiple people have used the same image in different ways, like the gold leaf that keeps popping up).

I've written numerous articles for iStockphoto and they average almost 12,000 reads per article, recent ones getting much higher eyeball counts. And I know for a fact that there are a ton of traditional RPG playing folks who contribute to iStock, so it's a great chance to get your work in front of a larger market. (I'd include a link to any of the products for sale, naturally.)

So if you've got something in print, or are working on something you're using iStockphoto for, let me know! And like I said, it doesn't just have to be RPGs, although that's the focus for this article.

Comments

• I used the gold leaf (or at least one of their gold leaf images) for the Chronica Feudalis cover as well as another one of their images. Happy to help out if I can.
  • Awesome! If you (or anyone else responding) want to whisper or post your contact info, I'll email you what I need.
  • edited August 2009
    Wow, coincidentally I just got a cool story to tell about the iStockPhoto elements I used for the cover of Houses of the Blooded.

The dagger and rose were individual iStockPhoto purchases that I combined with some judicious editing. The aforementioned gold leaf was combined with a vector blood splatter.

Then I hear from a fellow named Rob Justice who was so smitten with this mark that he had it tattooed on his left calf.

Crazy!
  • Also, just so you iStock users know-- if you submit your designs to the Designer Spotlight, people will ooh and aah over them and you'll get free credits added to your account for each accepted design. There's a small backlog right now, but hey, free credits!
  • edited August 2009
    The cover of Serial Homicide Unit is from istockphoto.
    I'm not a Photoshop maven, so I used it in a pretty straightforward manner. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.
  • edited August 2009
    I think that all of the images in Apocalypse World are from Dreamstime, but many of the same photos are on iStockPhoto too. Does that count?

• edited August 2009
    The cover to the ashcan of Matt Snyder's game 44 is one of the most impressive uses of images from iStockphoto I've seen by an RPG:

Don't believe me? Here's one of the stock photos he hacked to create those covers. The face was sliced and modified from another stock photo.

Paul
  • Wow, that's amazing. You guys really need to start submitting your designs to the Designer Spotlight. Design of the Year wins five grand.
  • Thanks, Elizabeth. Got a link for that?

(And thanks Paul for posting the pics!)
  • Sure do!
    Posted By: ElizabethAlso, just so you iStock users know-- if you submit your designs to theDesigner Spotlight,people will ooh and aah over them and you'll get free credits added to your account for each accepted design. There's a small backlog right now, but hey, free credits!
    If you'd like the press, whisper me your email and I'll add you to the interview.